Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got a free '97 SC300 (novice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:04 AM
xHRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a free '97 SC300 (novice)

Hello community,

I received a free SC300 from some relatives and I'm looking to improve its' performance. It has 97,000 miles on it and is in extremely good condition aside from the marks I received after spinning out in the snow. (Damn traction control...)

My goal is to eventually fully convert it into a 'soarer,' however I know very little of what must be done. Drifting would be fun too.

I know some of the basic components but I don't know where to begin.

Right now the car doesn't seem to have the power that it should. My launches are slow and I can hardly burn out. I'd like to first improve my acceleration but since I hardly know anything about cars, I need some advice on how to achieve improved acceleration.

I lost an O2 sensor a year ago and it was out for like six months until I could figure out how to get it replaced (don't laugh!) Upon researching my problem I read that I might need to change my spark plugs, perhaps this has something to do with my issue?

Any tips would be appreciated and I can provide more information.

Edit: It's an automatic, also want to convert it to manual.

Last edited by xHRx; 12-28-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-28-07, 09:49 AM
LGR95SC300
Driver School Candidate

The stock SC300 isn't a performance car but a luxury car. You’re not going to be able to throw an intake and exhaust to burn up the streets. The performance aspect of this car lies with the forged bottom end of the engine and that it shares many aspects of the turbo supra. Search the board and you will see many people throw on a turbo or swap their engine.

You’re basic choices and some keywords you can search for:

NA-T meaning you drop a turbo on your 2jzge engine.
Swap to a 1jzgte engine or a 2jzgte engine.

Their are other swaps but those are the basic three and should net you days of reading.
Old 12-28-07, 09:51 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, you are a lucky man.

The 97+ body style is well revered in the community. Fortunately for you, your car should well accept power adders because the motor is not VVT-i. Your motor is capable of delivering enough power to outrun Corvettes, Camaros, and M3's alike without needing to rebuild the motor...should you chose to throw enough money at it.

If you were without an Oxygen sensor, the car may have been running rich for some time (rich = too much fuel being delivered to the motor for any given amount of air). When the car runs rich for too long, it can foul the spark plugs. If the plugs are black and charcoal looking, you need to replace them.

The manual conversion is not that hard since the SC300 came with a 5MT option. You will simply need to find every 5MT part that was made for the car (I suggest the forum classifieds for this). The major stumbling block with this is not the procedure itself but finding the parts. They are in high demand.

The stock automatic can handle ~350whp and the stock manual transmission can handle ~400whp. Currently, you motor is probably making ~175whp (wheel horsepower...how much power being made by the motor is actually making it to the road). You can double the stock power output rather easily with a turbocharger. Since the motor is shared with the Toyota Supra, there is quite a bit of aftermarket support for your car (you can find performance parts very easily online).

If you want to do some drifting, I would look into the 5MT swap, suspension upgrades, and a turbo kit. If you do all the labor yourself, you should be able to swap to a manual, stiffen up the suspension, and make upwards of 400whp for about $5-7k.

The moral of the story: you have found a gem. You are a lucky guy. You have a car capable of serious performance that has looks to kill.
Old 12-28-07, 10:11 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

You should trade me for my 1992 with a few mods to it. 92 is the best year

haha...I'm only kidding--unless you REALLY want to trade

Congratulations on the FREE car.

I would take any car for free--because I'm great at selling things
Old 12-28-07, 10:48 AM
xHRx
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips!

Time for me to start saving money!

I'd just like to reassure you all that I realise the potential of this amazing vehicle and will use my resources to maximize them =)

I figure throwing down 7,000 or even 10,000 on this car would make it the sweetest ride I'll ever have for <10k$

Now if only it had unlimited fuel... (sorry I'm into science)
Old 12-28-07, 10:50 AM
xHRx
Driver School Candidate

On another note,

Would you recommend saving for a swap or buffing the stock motor?

Pros and cons of swap vs adding to the stock motor?
Old 12-28-07, 10:52 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's awesome man! The 97+ looks so slick.
Old 12-28-07, 11:16 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

Have you done the service maintenance yet? You may want to start with suspension work first before you start adding power. If your ride can't handle all that power, its like training for a marathon then running it with flip flops.
Old 12-28-07, 11:51 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do these relatives know you are driving the car the way you are? If I gave my son a 97 Sc300 and I saw him trying to do burnouts etc, I would take it back from him in a heartbeat

Jonny
Old 12-28-07, 11:56 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm surprised you can't do a burnout
Old 12-28-07, 12:02 PM
Lex-Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xHRx
On another note,

Would you recommend saving for a swap or buffing the stock motor?

Pros and cons of swap vs adding to the stock motor?

Depends on the power you want. If your looking for around 400hp, you can mod your stock motor without boing many internals, if any. Anything higher than that, I would say swap the motor, although i heard you can safely get 480-500hp out of the stock motor.
Old 12-28-07, 12:19 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Check out ClubNA-T.com
Old 12-28-07, 12:41 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CyBorG
Have you done the service maintenance yet? You may want to start with suspension work first before you start adding power. If your ride can't handle all that power, its like training for a marathon then running it with flip flops.

Start from the ground up, check brakes, then suspension. I would make sure the motor is running good too if you decide to do na-t.
Old 12-28-07, 12:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 352 Likes on 228 Posts

First mod: Sell it.

I doubt this car is for you. I'd bet you'd be happier with something like a domestic V-8 that has less traction and can do burnouts, as well as the ability to put power to the ground with simple bolt ons.

I normally do not recommend selling an Sc, but judging by your questions I doubt you'll ever be satisfied with the car.

Now, if you have a TON of money to throw at it and make it perform the way you'd like, then keep it and get to work. The VVTI 97+ cars are not just bolt and go cars, lots of software re-engineering is involved.
Old 12-28-07, 01:01 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
First mod: Sell it.
I doubt this car is for you. I'd bet you'd be happier with something like a domestic V-8 that has less traction and can do burnouts, as well as the ability to put power to the ground with simple bolt ons.
I was thinking the same thing when I was reading your post- your best bet is to sell the car and buy a domestic V8- more power for less -

Quick Reply: Got a free '97 SC300 (novice)