Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOW TO: 1jz sc300 neutral safe switch removal with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 09:36 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HOW TO: 1jz sc300 neutral safe switch removal with pics

Hello, im just trying to help people so they know how to finally remove the neutral safety switch. reasons doing it are because when swapping in the 1jz into a sc300 your car will not start because the car thinks your in gear. here is how i by passed the NSS, this is by all means not the only way to do this. in doing this you will not need the clutch when starting the car either. ok how to do it. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR CAR! you are on your own if you screw something up!

OK starting out you need to find the fuse box in the engine bay. thats not hard right?
Name:  IMG_0962.jpg
Views: 5659
Size:  87.0 KB
you need to pull the fuse at the top(the big black fuse)
what you need to do is run a 20 or 18 gauge wire from the connector in which i am pointing to with the screw driver.
Name:  IMG_0964.jpg
Views: 4449
Size:  52.3 KB
i ran my wire to it from underneath but thats just because i want it completely hidden

next you will need to run your wire through the grommet and run it down to the fender area. ( you will need to poke a small hole in the grommet. like so.
Name:  IMG_0966.jpg
Views: 4116
Size:  35.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0967.jpg
Views: 4378
Size:  95.7 KB
heres the underside of the fender. notice how i left it a little long so i can pull the wire through
run your wire through the top of the fender to the rear of the side. and go through the grommet to the inside of the car. you will not need to poke a hole just push it in with the other wires.
Name:  IMG_0968.jpg
Views: 4146
Size:  80.1 KB
heres the inside. just wire it through.
Name:  IMG_0969.jpg
Views: 4580
Size:  97.8 KB
you need to be looking at the right side next to the center column into this general direction
Name:  IMG_0973.jpg
Views: 4019
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0976.jpg
Views: 4873
Size:  81.3 KB
in that picture you can see where the red wire goes. there is the black connector there wrapped with foam around it

now if your looking at that connector there should be a black wire with white stripe(this is from the neutral safety switch) your wire that you ran needs to tap into the black with white stripe. once you've done this you should be ready to go put your key into the ignition and you should be able to turn the car over.

i don't think this matters but also there is a wider connector where you have extra connectors on the wiring harness to the transmission. it will have a 2 plug with green inserts on it. i also jumper ed those 2 like so.

Name:  IMG_0980.jpg
Views: 6233
Size:  73.6 KB
Old 01-03-08, 09:11 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Sticky...........
Old 01-03-08, 10:00 AM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this nice info couple days ago !! It works perfect def sticky this.
Old 01-03-08, 10:07 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for sharing.... Very good info and very handy
Old 07-08-08, 05:01 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally! Now I can go out and try this real quick. BRB.
Old 07-08-08, 05:18 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

sticky... good write up!
Old 07-08-08, 05:35 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Great information
Old 07-08-08, 06:54 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Just a little curious. What year is your SC?
Old 07-08-08, 08:04 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

I heard that all you need to do is go on the trans, look for the plug with 3 wires in it. Take the black and the white and spice together to bypass the "park" issue that I have with my 1jz auto swap into my 5-spd.
Old 07-09-08, 10:31 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

my sc is a 92, as far as the 3 wire plug that is what the last picture is, if you jumper it it should work but i did that and it still wouldn't run.
Old 07-16-08, 06:19 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I'd like to give Biggu his props. Ive been trying to figure this out after two auto to 5spd conversions and now going on to my third real soon. I tried this out last night because I was really bored. Got everything hooked up just like in the pictures. Turned the key and BAM! Worked like a charm. No more push start button. Thanks again for the great info.
Old 07-16-08, 07:33 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I'd like to give Biggu his props. Ive been trying to figure this out after two auto to 5spd conversions and now going on to my third real soon. I tried this out last night because I was really bored. Got everything hooked up just like in the pictures. Turned the key and BAM! Worked like a charm. No more push start button. Thanks again for the great info.
I agree with this assessment. While that fuse in my SC4 had a purple top instead of a black top, the procedure worked (and has worked) like a charm. Biggu, before it is all said and done, you will have helped a number of SC guys with this fix. Thank you.
Old 07-20-08, 09:44 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Originally Posted by Blizzy
I agree with this assessment. While that fuse in my SC4 had a purple top instead of a black top, the procedure worked (and has worked) like a charm. Biggu, before it is all said and done, you will have helped a number of SC guys with this fix. Thank you.
Not a problem guys, this did take me pretty much all day and i did get a hold of the whole wiring schematic to our sc300 basically i had to figure out the basics of where every wire on the car and where the NSS wire would be going to and i came up with this little fix. it is basically the same as wiring up a starter button. if anything came from this experience if i ever have a issue ill know what wire goes to what

im very glad this has helped many and in addition i hope it will continue to help many.
Old 07-21-08, 06:15 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

**Got a new and updated version that is taking part of this and part from another person who helped me out with mine.(OneJay)**

Okay so all you need to do is get a thick (I used 14ga) wire, put one of those slide on ends to the wire (so it will slide on over a flat metal lead like the one seen above on the trans connector).

Take off your remote lead on the starter (NOT the one with the nut)

Slide on your new wire/end

Take this wire and run it as described above into the cabin, under the dash

Connect it to the thick black/white wire

Voila you can now start your car in any position using the key.

Thanks for the help above and to OneJay for his help because between the two of you I am now able to start my car with the key and without the car in neutral (due to my AT ECU)

***No need to mess with the plug underneath on the trans, no need to mess with the relay, just a straightforward line from the starter to the starter wire inside the cabin***

Last edited by jefferino; 07-21-08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-21-08, 09:59 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jefferino
**Got a new and updated version that is taking part of this and part from another person who helped me out with mine.(OneJay)**

Okay so all you need to do is get a thick (I used 14ga) wire, put one of those slide on ends to the wire (so it will slide on over a flat metal lead like the one seen above on the trans connector).

Take off your remote lead on the starter (NOT the one with the nut)

Slide on your new wire/end

Take this wire and run it as described above into the cabin, under the dash

Connect it to the thick black/white wire

Voila you can now start your car in any position using the key.

Thanks for the help above and to OneJay for his help because between the two of you I am now able to start my car with the key and without the car in neutral (due to my AT ECU)

***No need to mess with the plug underneath on the trans, no need to mess with the relay, just a straightforward line from the starter to the starter wire inside the cabin***
Good to hear! So it started up with no problems?

Quick Reply: HOW TO: 1jz sc300 neutral safe switch removal with pics