Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Power Steer pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-08, 12:31 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Power Steer pump

My 93 pump has finally given up the ghost. It has growned and moaned at me for me for the past year. I now have a chatter and the wheel has pulses in it that are easily felt. This has nothing to do with sex.

Has anyone had to replace their pump? Are there any special precautions. I have done 20 or so in my life and I have never done anything but R&R the pump and refill the system. Always wanted to do a flush but never found one where you could do that.

Thanks for your help,

John
Old 01-03-08, 06:16 PM
Spitfire86
Pole Position

Pump is pretty simple to replace, some of the bolts are a PITA to get to but otherwise it isn't too bad, a lot of stuff in the way but just go piece by piece shouldn't be a problem.

Are you rebuilding it yourself with the toyota kit or buying a whole new one? I personally bought a brand new one b/c I have some hookups but rebuilding it should be fine too.
Old 01-14-08, 09:28 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Used

Gazi came through like a champ with a low time used pump. If that breaks down I will rebuild. Thanks for the interest and advice.

The leaking pump usually takes out the alternator. Not because the oil hurts the tronics but because it makes little cutting tools out of the brushes. The sliprings are epoxied in place but a shop can replace them for an hours labor plus $5 for the rings. I found a rebuilt for $145 at cheap place but most wanted $300 and Lex had its eye on $380+. My rebuilder said the Toyota bearings last FOREVER and the tronics are pretty much bullet proof. Don't get ripped when the alt fails because it got oily.

John
Old 01-14-08, 09:41 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replacing both the PS pump and alternator is easy :]

alternator is 3 bolts? or something like that and u slide it off..

PS pump.. same i guess.. a few bolts and slide off. just take off the belt.

make sure u have sockets with extensions.. and another extension... :]

goggles are a must.. unless u want oiled eyes :[
Old 01-29-08, 06:42 PM
LEXUSver
Driver School Candidate

1992 SC300. I have difficulty determining the leak coming from my power steering system. I used to see it by the cover but now it is becoming obvious that the fluid is everywhere and being collected at the bottom. When I let the engine run, I don't see any source of leak. Pls. help.
Attached Thumbnails SC400 Power Steer pump-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by LEXUSver; 01-31-08 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 01:25 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default leak fix

I slowed my leak to a slow trickle by replacing the aluminum gaskets on the hi pressure hose fitting on the bottom of the pump. I tried tightening the old one it wouldn't quit. The new one did improve things. The hi pressure hose can also leak but it is spendy so try the gasket first.

Spray wash the engine bay and then tie a rag around the hi pres fitting. Drive it an hour or so and check the rag for fluid. It should show signs before anywhere else. Proves the point.

Your alt is going to give up soon if oil got on the brushes. Only the brushes and commutator need changing. Cut rate auto has them for $135 so don't get raped.

Good hunting.

John