Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Garrett GT35R SC400 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 06:01 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garrett GT35R SC400 Turbo?

Anyone put this turbo on their car? I talked to Lextreme and this is what they recommended. I have someone who is willing to sell me the turbo for an amazing price. I need some help if I do get it. I need to know someone who can fabricate some headers for a turbo. Thanks!
Old 01-06-08, 06:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome to our forum, and even better...... welcome to our engine forum.

Moved
Old 01-06-08, 08:36 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Anyone put this turbo on their car? I talked to Lextreme and this is what they recommended.
I believe stevechumo is the only single turbo SC400 on this forum. I am almost certain he is using a turbo similar to the GT35 (~61mm inducer). Although, I believe believe he is using a different brand of turbo from Garrett to keep costs down.

The GT35 would be a nice turbo for a modest build. It would spool quickly and deliver a nice kick in the pants without needing to rev out the redline to feel a significant pull. An advantage to the GT35 would be its ability to keep you at a power level reasonable enough to not have to rebuild the bottom end since it is on the small side for a 4L motor.

I have someone who is willing to sell me the turbo for an amazing price.
This is a good thing; but, be aware that a turbo itself is only a small portion of the entire build. You will need to tap the oil pan, fabricate headers, have excellent engine management, plumb the intake through an intercooler and plumb the exhaust out to the tailpipes. You will need larger fuel injectors, an additional or a higher output fuel pump, and -again- excellent engine management to control everything and not grenade your motor.

I need some help if I do get it. I need to know someone who can fabricate some headers for a turbo. Thanks!
Eric at TTC Performance sells turbo manifolds that are already fabricated for ~$2500. At the moment, they are only units in production for the 1UZ. They allow for clearance around the power steering pump and a/c compressor to save the luxury aspects of the vehicle. They are extremely well made, and should flow very nicely in any set up ranging from 300hp to 800hp.

If you think you can find someone to fabricate them better or for less, you are on your own. I would start calling fabricators in your area and ask if they have ever made custom turbo manifolds. While I am sure you could find someone to do a similar job -perhaps even for less money- it will be difficult to find that very fabricator on the first, second, or even third try. Our engine bay is very tight (unless you are willing to get rid of your power steering and a/c compressor...but, then, you should have just bought a Camaro).

Another option is to do what stevechumo is running on his single turbo SC (well documented on Lextreme's Forced Induction Section). Steve's set up is incapable of making huge numbers, but it is plenty capable of pushing enough power to have a disturbingly fun street car. Cheap and easy is not always a bad thing in this regard.

-------

Most of all, make sure you are fully ready to take the plunge into forced induction on the SC400 before you buy the turbo. If the SC is your only car at the moment, forget about it. You will be without a car for weeks/months. If you are not prepared to overcome two dozen obstacles along the way, forget about it. You will be surprised at the number of intricasies of the SC400 that make life tough, especially for a turbo project.

I would check out stevechumo's thread on Lextreme. His build would probably be up your alley in terms of getting the car turbocharged with the most simple set up possible. Even so, I can't reiterate how intense setting up a turbo project will be. Everyone ends up taking months longer than originally anticipated.