Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 headers....best fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 07:30 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Im a fan of Rush Import Headers. They bolt on (minus EGR - you can delete EGR or weld a bung on for it ( i would delete it)) and they are long tube headers with the option of 2.25 or 2.5 at the end.

Cheap too

$480 usd + ship (about $100usd) or so.

http://rushimports.com.au/index.php?cPath=41
I have emailed Neil Griffiths at Rush for a quote on the headers. The cost to the buyer is $825 after shipping and paypal fees. Shipping is on the magnitude of $250.

In addition, a very trusted Lextreme forum member from Australia with first hand experience about Rush headers has made me aware of some of the shoddy fabrication techniques used on the headers which hinder flow. At the collector, the single pipe that extends from the two primary pipes protrudes into the collector 20mm, which develops extremely negative pockets of air flow.

These protrusions virtually eliminate every inherent advantage to the 4-2-1 design. Your only option to maximize efficiency on the headers is to cut the headers at the collectors, trim off the protrusions within the collectors, and then weld the piece back together. At that point, you might as well have just bought header flanges and some pipe on your own to make headers as a DIY.

In short, the Rush headers are neither cheap nor capable in comparison to the other headers available.

If I would trust any header on my car, it would be the S&S Headers. While the purchase of the S&S headers a replumbing of the exhaust, the extremely positive results of these headers are well noted, and the price is very attractive at $600+shipping (domestic shipping should not exceed $40). To boot, the primary pipe diameter of 1.5" is most appropriate for our cars, even in midly modified form.

EK Tuning has their share of issues. Our own KC95SC400 ordered himself a set in early fall and has yet to receive them. While I am sure that EK Tuning at the easiest to install, the actual design of the headers (1.675" primaries) and craftsmanship (chinese welding) may leave quite a bit to be desired.

My vote is for S&S Headers all the way. I say this with full confidence given the large amount of research I have done on this very topic.
Old 02-05-08, 01:24 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Good write-up. I wish the S&S was a true bolt on.
Old 02-05-08, 02:54 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoJ1
^ Good write-up. I wish the S&S was a true bolt on.
Thanks.

There is an exhaust shop 1-2hr out of Chicago called "Sasser Custom Exhaust" that does excellent mandrel bent fabrications for sweet prices. I was quoted $400 for a complete header-back exhaust conversion if I came equipped with my own headers, cats, mufflers, and X-pipe.

For a simple replumb of the initial portion of the exhaust to adapt S&S Headers to the stock system, I bet it would cost half that. The guy who owns the shop is a great guy...and he does mandrel bending to boot.

Moral of the story: S&S is not a true bolt on; but, even after the costs to adapt the headers to the car, you are still spending less than any alternative getting a quality piece nonetheless.

For my money, the S&S Headers with the stock cats, stock mufflers, and an aftermarket X-pipe would be about as good of a value out there for actually making more power in n/a form.
Old 11-20-08, 12:55 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition, a very trusted Lextreme forum member from Australia with first hand experience about Rush headers has made me aware of some of the shoddy fabrication techniques used on the headers which hinder flow

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to disagree there sorry. I don't do * shoddy *

It is such a pity that people who knock someones else's product, does not go out and make the same product with ALL the * Improvements * they state are needed.
Then market this product with results.

Only * Flaw * in these headers is the fact that the right side set can not have the correct cylinder firing order set up ( As the Steering Shaft on the LHD Soarer is in the way ) Being there are no SC400's in Australia, makes it very hard to set this up.

As for flow, well I put 355RwHp through them on 15psi boost.
Same setup in my Soarer and my Silvia Drag Car ( 11.4 1/4 so far on a STOCK Engine and Auto Trans ) This is on Pump Gas.
Silvia is aiming for 400 + RwHp on Martini Racing Fuel and my New Manifold Design.
Old 11-21-08, 07:11 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He has RUSH headers on his car now. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...290641&page=25 , must have solved the issues he was worried about. To give us an idea, what do the rush headers actual cost with shipping included to the USA usually?