Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 07:15 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I measured my R154 transmission- 26" from the end of the bellhousing to the middle of the shifter..

Old 02-06-08, 07:19 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Looks like the swan necked shifter might be crooked/bent enough to fit my sc300 without an extension. What do you guys think? It's in neutral, by the way. The shift **** is going to be at around 31". How does this compare to the placement of the shifter/**** on the W58 or Soarer R154 shift ****?

Any thoughts on this? If necessary, my buddy Ian (qksl2) will extend the shifter and shorten the height a bit.. but would this really "end up in the radio when shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear"?

Allen
Old 02-06-08, 07:47 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

This would be the ***** if you guys figured this out. Im a welder and metal fabricator but I dont have an R154 yet, so I cant play with it like you guys can right now.

Good luck guys
Old 02-06-08, 08:23 PM
celiman05
Pole Position

in my opinion, i think the shifter might end up in the radio. just seems to me if you made it longer, the throw of the shift would lengthen, even if the height was shorter. im trying to picture it in my head but i cant seem to figure it out. just my .02.

hell it would be nice if it did work though. definate easy fix.
Old 02-06-08, 08:52 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this pic on the web of a Soarer/Chaser R154 with the swan style shifter.

I don't think your shifter bend will work. It definitely won't fit in the stock location.
Attached Thumbnails R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?-r154.jpg  
Old 02-07-08, 01:08 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shern
I found this pic on the web of a Soarer/Chaser R154 with the swan style shifter.

I don't think your shifter bend will work. It definitely won't fit in the stock location.
thanks for the pic- that's really helpful

Yea I guess I'll need some type of an extension.. I'll see what the position is when I try to install the tranny on Saturday.
Old 02-07-08, 07:45 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here is what blk97's trans will look like installed in the car http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...678/118581.jpg notice how close it is to the cross bar of the center consol. here is another shot of it http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...678/118582.jpg you can get the forward gears it just hits the bar which is right where the ashtray/stereo is. A little bending will put it right in the spot it should be. The pics are from soarer central and this is how i gauged how much to bend the shifter on one of the swaps i have done. Mine looked exactly like this without any modding. hope this helps guys.
Old 02-07-08, 09:05 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
here is what blk97's trans will look like installed in the car http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...678/118581.jpg notice how close it is to the cross bar of the center consol. here is another shot of it http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...678/118582.jpg you can get the forward gears it just hits the bar which is right where the ashtray/stereo is. A little bending will put it right in the spot it should be. The pics are from soarer central and this is how i gauged how much to bend the shifter on one of the swaps i have done. Mine looked exactly like this without any modding. hope this helps guys.
Marshall,

you are the MAN! Awesome info

How long of an extension would you say is needed for the shifter to be centered in the console? ~3"?
Old 02-07-08, 09:07 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

looks like about 3 inches.
Old 02-07-08, 09:50 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

I just talked with Tech2 a moment ago. They told me that they source both extensions for the Silvia swap that they support as well as the SC. The extension length looks to be different between Silvia and SC.

He quoted me a price of $275 for the SC shifter extension with 1 day turnaround (already have units complete ready to ship, just need core). If your alternative doesn't work, may be an option.

http://tech2motorsports.com/tech-2-m...n/i-82263.aspx

I know vipsoarer pioneered this. Tech2 offers it for everybody
Old 02-07-08, 10:27 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

I just talked with Tech2 a moment ago. They told me that they source both extensions for the Silvia swap that they support as well as the SC. The extension length looks to be different between Silvia and SC.

He quoted me a price of $275 for the SC shifter extension with 1 day turnaround (already have units complete ready to ship, just need core). If your alternative doesn't work, may be an option.

http://tech2motorsports.com/tech-2-m...n/i-82263.aspx

I know vipsoarer pioneered this. Tech2 offers it for everybody
thanks for the link. I've heard good / not so good things about the tech2 extension.. so I'm going to keep that option as my last resort. I'll try to extend it on my own first (hopefully it'll work). I don't see why it wouldn't work, since it's not really that large of an extension. If I do run into problems, then I may consider it.

Does anyone in here have a tech2 extension on their R154?
Old 02-07-08, 03:25 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Allen i would say 3 inches at most. There are two ways to only modify the shifter so that it fits.

1. what i did was at the first initial bend on the mk3 shifter i heated it up and bend it back towars the rear of the car to make the shifter about 35 degrees off horizontal. then i trimmed the vibration isolator a good deal, about an inch from the top of the shifter. The amount of vibration after installation is barely noticeable but with a weighted shift **** it may be more noticeable(since the weight is further out from the fulcrum point). After the isolator is trimmed, go about 3 inches up past the bend you just exagerated and bend it back to vertacle. While still hot, dip the shifter into a water bath to harden it. so thats the heat and bend way.

2. the other way would be to cut the shifter into two at the second bend from the bottom (the one that puts the shift **** verticle), weld in a piece of some mild steel bar (carbon steel) that is 2 inches long horizontally to the bottom piece then reweld on the top piece of the shifter at the other end of the extention. it doesnt need to be solid stock, hollow square stock is preferred especially if you drill a hole to counter sink each part of the shifter to sit in bar stock then run your beads to attach it all together.

Both methods have worked for me in the past, my only suggestion is that if you do the heat method to bend the shifter that you use a water bath to cool the shifter and reharden the materia so it doesnt bend on you while your slamming gears. otherwise, it should only take about an hour to do both methods if you take your time.

I hope that all makes sense... been a long day at work and trying to get home to work on some carbon fiber pieces i've been building

Last edited by vipsoarer; 02-07-08 at 03:29 PM. Reason: being retarded and being in 3 tenses
Old 02-07-08, 03:44 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ so would this be done with a mk3 supra tranny, or an early soarer tranny?

I've also had ideas of just lengthening the shifter, rather than the entire housing, but wondered what that would do with the throw. if I could just pick up an mk3 supra tranny, lengthen the shifter (not the housing), and get a bellhousing, i'd be good.
Old 02-07-08, 03:48 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

So is the intention described in this thread to simply leave the shift arm and shifter cover as is but simply bend the shifter shaft back to a usable location? Something like this:
Attached Thumbnails R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?-shift.jpg  
Old 02-07-08, 03:59 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

So is the intention described in this thread to simply leave the shift arm and shifter cover as is but simply bend the shifter shaft back to a usable location? Something like this:
Yea, that diagram (although exaggerated a bit) roughly illustrates what I plan on attempting on saturday

vipsoarer- Which would likely be stronger / less likely to break or bend: method 1 or 2?

Quick Reply: R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?