Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 06:55 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey vipsoarer,
i'm not understanding how u trimmed the vibration isolator. i'm assuming u cut it from the bottom? thanks.

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
1. what i did was at the first initial bend on the mk3 shifter i heated it up and bend it back towars the rear of the car to make the shifter about 35 degrees off horizontal. then i trimmed the vibration isolator a good deal, about an inch from the top of the shifter. The amount of vibration after installation is barely noticeable but with a weighted shift **** it may be more noticeable(since the weight is further out from the fulcrum point). After the isolator is trimmed, go about 3 inches up past the bend you just exagerated and bend it back to vertacle. While still hot, dip the shifter into a water bath to harden it. so thats the heat and bend way.
Old 02-07-08, 07:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allen...

I just got my parts in from Toyota Japan tonight. I have not had the time to take extensive measurements of the differences in the shifter geometry and shifter housing extension; but, it preliminarily appears to be on the magnitude of 1.75-2.25".

I think extending the shifter rod itself will be an EASY mod...truly easy. I think the parts from Toyota Japan are an EASY mod as well; they just take a month to get.

I will have more tomorrow night. I will get some extensive measurements taken.

-Mark
Old 02-08-08, 08:37 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tavarish: The mk3 supra trans is the same as the early model soarer trans so this will work for both. the 94+ have the remote shifters. This method is like in the pic Shern drew. Just a simple extension of the shifter to move it just enough to fit the shifter hole.

Shern: You are correct with your pics you drew. They arent that big of a change but you have the right idea.

Allen: Both should work fine, it just depends on the tools you have and how well you know how to use them. I find the cut and weld to be the easiest because you can make your measurements easier. But if you are magic with a torch or ox/acet torch it will take barely any time at all.

Craaaazy: I cut a ring about 1 inch from the top of the shifter on the isolator. Then I cut vertically up from the bottom till i reach the ring i initially cut. After that you just peel it off the shifter to remove it. Its just a sleeve attached to the shifter so if you think of it as a banana with the top cut off then you just slice up the side and peel back.

Hopefully it makes sense. Holler if you run into any more questions
Old 02-15-08, 03:50 PM
newdude
Driver School Candidate

So basically with this method, we would only have to get hte r154 tranny and the bell housing and just bend the shifter to get it to fit?
Old 02-16-08, 07:11 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

that is correct
Old 02-16-08, 12:00 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...fter+extension

I posted this thread a while ago, and I'm still trying to determine if my extension is just too short. I've seen information that states that the extension has to be about 7 inches to fit in the sc!! My own is just about 2.5 inchs and it shifts great, but I'm still not 100 % sure if it will fit or not.
Old 02-16-08, 09:05 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

We finished this up last night at the shop. Armo is out in vegas right now (and we're still stuck building motors, grrrr) so I'll give everyone an update.

We got some rod stock (mild), cleaned it up, and then fit it into the original shifter to extend it straight back a few inches. We'll have to make a slight adjustment (he forgot to put on the plate that holds down the shifter) but its running and driving now. The throws are long, but solid and precise.

The swap went well and very quickly with a lift!

Ian
Old 02-19-08, 01:48 PM
wanted:SC
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone figured this out yet? I have read about 6 forums really similar to this one where everyone is saying they are going to try it but then never post if it worked or not.
Old 02-19-08, 02:14 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wanted:SC
Has anyone figured this out yet? I have read about 6 forums really similar to this one where everyone is saying they are going to try it but then never post if it worked or not.
it works

After I get everything cleaned up and finished perfectly, I'll go ahead and post some pics.

I wana thank Ian (qksl2) @ FSR Motorsports for some top-notch work. I'm sure he could offer the same/similar products & services to anyone in need.

I'll update tommorrow with some more pics and info
Old 02-19-08, 06:15 PM
BlackMamba
Driver

ohsnap please let me see
Old 02-20-08, 11:24 AM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very good work. this would be a great mod.
Old 02-21-08, 08:08 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was the consensus on distance to extend the shifter? 2-3"? Im thinking that I will have mine just cut and welded at some 70 degrees or something.
Old 02-22-08, 10:01 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

car is up and running- shifts great
Old 02-22-08, 10:08 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Thats what I like to hear!
Old 02-22-08, 12:30 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....I believe I was promised pics.

Good job.

Quick Reply: R154 shifter extension- Possible alternative?