Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE fuel control options.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 05:53 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTE fuel control options.

Hello all I have a 92 sc300 with a JDM GTE swap. I bought the car this way so I am not completely sure what all has been done to it. It has a stock ecu but there are no labels on it so I am not even sure what ecu it is. The car has no fuel control aside from an HKS FCD, which isnt really even fuel control. I was told that it has 550cc injectors in it but I know for a fact that they are high impedance so I assume they are stock Aristo 440 injectors.

My goals for the car are a small single and about 500 whp with some methanol injection. I will probably go with some 550 or 720 injectors for fuel. My question is what are my best options for ecu/piggybacks? I currently have a VPC(with stock MKIV 550 chip), GCC, and AFC Neo. None of these are installed. Is there any reason to use the VPC as the car is running a MAP based JDM set up anyway, and if I use the VPC what would be the best chip to use with teh 440 injectors? Can the GCC be used without the VPC or would the AFC do a better job adjusting fuel needs? If not the AFC what would my best bang for the buck option be this side of of a standaolne?

Can the gforce type ecus be used on my map based car? Are there any aftermarket piggybacks that make use of the MAP based stock configurations?
Old 02-06-08, 01:36 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Hello all I have a 92 sc300 with a JDM GTE swap. I bought the car this way so I am not completely sure what all has been done to it. It has a stock ecu but there are no labels on it so I am not even sure what ecu it is. The car has no fuel control aside from an HKS FCD, which isnt really even fuel control. I was told that it has 550cc injectors in it but I know for a fact that they are high impedance so I assume they are stock Aristo 440 injectors.

My goals for the car are a small single and about 500 whp with some methanol injection. I will probably go with some 550 or 720 injectors for fuel. My question is what are my best options for ecu/piggybacks? I currently have a VPC(with stock MKIV 550 chip), GCC, and AFC Neo. None of these are installed. Is there any reason to use the VPC as the car is running a MAP based JDM set up anyway, and if I use the VPC what would be the best chip to use with teh 440 injectors? Can the GCC be used without the VPC or would the AFC do a better job adjusting fuel needs? If not the AFC what would my best bang for the buck option be this side of of a standaolne?

Can the gforce type ecus be used on my map based car? Are there any aftermarket piggybacks that make use of the MAP based stock configurations?
Keep in mind that there are those out there with small single setups on 2jz's with no fuel management at all. Granted its always a good idea.

For piggybacks, the only one worth the money and time is the MAP ECU 2. It is about as close to a stand alone as you can get without getting rid of the stock ecu. It has an impressive fuel map, timing advance/retard over stock, datalogging capabilities, converts from MAF to MAP, and alot of other additions that would take way to long to list.

The SAFC is a popular choice that is relatively cheap and can alter the fuel curve enough to see improvements but nothing extremely significant. It more or less makes percentage changes to large areas of the map.

For standalone, HKS V Con seems to be the ecu of choice. The consensus on the forum is pretty much if you are going to dish the money for a standalone, go big and stay away from the AEM EMS as it is far inferior to the HKS several others.

I currently have an SP61 with the MAP ECU 2 with just a BPU++ map in it and it is a BLAST to drive.

Hope this helps
Jon
Old 02-06-08, 07:10 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AEM EMS isn't as good as a Motec or Autronic, but it will get the job done. Its simply not as easy to use. However, being plug and play, its very quick to setup, and there are many tuners who can help you.

The Map2 is quite good, and they just came out with another revision that is even better, with upgraded logging and real time timing readouts. However, if you really want the protection, I'd get the AEM or other true stand alone.

Ian
Old 02-06-08, 09:09 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

I will say this. You can't go wrong with stand alone...
Old 02-06-08, 04:11 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
The consensus on the forum is pretty much if you are going to dish the money for a standalone, go big and stay away from the AEM EMS as it is far inferior to the HKS several others.
Would be interested in reading more about this consensus Links?

Jonny
Old 02-06-08, 08:16 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dx3
Would be interested in reading more about this consensus Links?

Jonny
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...est+standalone

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...est+standalone

Heres a quick couple

Don't take what I said out of context. If you are going to spend the money and go big, you might as well buy the Motec or HKS. There are alot of people that love the AEM and works great for them, but there are also just as many people that have problems with it. It is pretty hard to find complaints about the MOTEC or HKS. To each his own.

Jon