Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some Diff options...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 02:10 PM
boomhower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone every figured out how come the importers that sell us the 1jz and stuff dont send over the lsd's as well? I have looked a lot on soarer central and they all say that a soarer with the trans code that ends with a B is a torsen rear end. I just seen a torsen rear end for an aristo on ebay yesterday, and they had the same option as well.
Old 02-15-08, 12:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Are the mounting bolts on the mk3 differential different or something. why cant we use that entire pumpkin, change the output splines and mate up the driveshaft somehow. unless every part of that needs to be custom couldn't it be worth it?
Old 02-15-08, 07:36 PM
Punky
Lead Lap

Would I be able to put one of these on my stock diff? http://www.titanmotorsports.com/st6diinst.html
Old 02-15-08, 10:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Punky
Would I be able to put one of these on my stock diff? http://www.titanmotorsports.com/st6diinst.html
What is pictured there is a 6MT LSD with the 12 bolt ring; but, the ad is for an Auto TT LSD, which Titan will get in from time to time. However, they don't get them in that often...and, when they do, they are snatched up quick. I would expect them not to have one in stock (I email Nero at Titan quite often for this very inquiry).
Old 02-15-08, 10:26 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Are the mounting bolts on the mk3 differential different or something. why cant we use that entire pumpkin, change the output splines and mate up the driveshaft somehow. unless every part of that needs to be custom couldn't it be worth it?
I have been told that the issue with the MK3 differential is not the diameter of the ring gear or the number of bolts but rather the width of the housing and the location of the mounting bolts. This means that not only will the pumpkin not bolt up, but the axle shafts wouldn't either. To boot, the internal LSD unit is not cross-compatible either. Our differential is a completely different, much more sturdy ancestor of the MK3 differential that -sadly- has very few similarities.
Old 02-16-08, 05:28 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
What is pictured there is a 6MT LSD with the 12 bolt ring; but, the ad is for an Auto TT LSD, which Titan will get in from time to time. However, they don't get them in that often...and, when they do, they are snatched up quick. I would expect them not to have one in stock (I email Nero at Titan quite often for this very inquiry).
But would it fit the stock diff? Or do I need to buy a supra diff casing?
Old 02-16-08, 01:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I have been told that the issue with the MK3 differential is not the diameter of the ring gear or the number of bolts but rather the width of the housing and the location of the mounting bolts. This means that not only will the pumpkin not bolt up, but the axle shafts wouldn't either. To boot, the internal LSD unit is not cross-compatible either. Our differential is a completely different, much more sturdy ancestor of the MK3 differential that -sadly- has very few similarities.
i figured it had to do with the housing, otherwise i would be grabbing some mark 3 axles and mating my driveshaft up. Just wanted to confirm it was unfeasable.
Old 02-16-08, 02:20 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Punky
But would it fit the stock diff? Or do I need to buy a supra diff casing?
The Supra Auto TT, Supra n/a, SC3/400, and GS3/400 differential casings are all of the same shape. They have the same mounting points, and use the same axles. There is no doubt that a Supra TT Auto LSD will fit an SC, GS, or Supra n/a pumpkin like it was made for it.