Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Name this leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 09:34 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do remember someone saying that you can rest a wrench on the bolt and use the starter to undo it. But I'm not sure if I am recalling the correct part, can someone confirm? I do remember it being one of the pulleys that was hard to disassemble.

I'm taking it to a local guy who does imports and we'll see how things go from there. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I'll keep you all updated!
Old 02-23-08, 03:51 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
I do remember someone saying that you can rest a wrench on the bolt and use the starter to undo it. But I'm not sure if I am recalling the correct part, can someone confirm? I do remember it being one of the pulleys that was hard to disassemble.

please video tape this when you try it. I havent seen someone break their face/hands/forearms in awhile.

never use the starter to assist you in breaking something loose.

by the sounds of it, you need to have your car taken to a certified shop.

at this point thats about all I can suggest.
Old 02-23-08, 04:00 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

haha, no no definitely not holding it by hand. I meant resting it on something solid. PlanetSoarer is a fairly credible source, and thats what they do if they don't have the right tools.

But I brought it to a local guy who is quite familiar with imports and I'm confident he'll get the job done right. I was able to drive it to the shop without having to stop and fill up oil again. He's a really stand up guy.
Old 02-23-08, 04:10 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

let us know how it goes.
Old 02-23-08, 06:00 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Big 'ole impact should get it off without launching your tools (along with appendages in line) into orbit . To torque it back is the trick, requires an SST (or chain wrench used with caution) and big 'ole torque wrench if you have an auto trans. Others may torque it back unscientifically using the trusty big 'ole impact. Searching forums under timing belt changes and tutorials will give lots of good details. Good luck.
Old 02-23-08, 06:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
haha, no no definitely not holding it by hand. I meant resting it on something solid. PlanetSoarer is a fairly credible source, and thats what they do if they don't have the right tools.

But I brought it to a local guy who is quite familiar with imports and I'm confident he'll get the job done right. I was able to drive it to the shop without having to stop and fill up oil again. He's a really stand up guy.
Yeah, but they are aussies. They are the Macgyver of the automotive world

"Hey mate, the car won't start..... bring me a lemon, two jumper cables, a shot of whiskey, three cans of WD40, and a fertile sheep".
Old 02-25-08, 07:01 AM
1jhazzard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow after reading this post i almost feel special that i got my timing belt and water pump replaced for 380 including labor.
Old 02-25-08, 10:23 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"add more oil light" lol
Old 02-29-08, 01:37 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

So, it was done on Thursday and the bill came to $911.45. Around $250 of that was for parts and the rest was labor. Timing belt and the 3 seals were done. They are rock hard and one of them is completely busted. The good news is that I can drive. Bad news is that some lights are on. The guy is away for the weekend so I didn't have him check it out, but I did my own diagnosis. Comments on the price?

So I started it, no problem starting but it sounds a bit different. A sound of "hesitation" at idle occurs at 2 second intervals. The same kind of problem happens during driving. It bucks/hesitates/pulses while I am driving. Going about 60km/h and it seems to shake me back and forth as if I am jamming on the throttle and letting go repeatedly. But after a few runs it is gone. What was that all about? Is that what normally accompanies a timing belt replacement?

Also, I now have a TRAC OFF and CEL. Even after shutting it off and back on they are still there. Should I disconnect the battery to reset any errors that may have come up or should I use the ODBII to check what kind of codes I get first?
Old 02-29-08, 03:17 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

never hurts to pull the codes and check them first. sounds like something may have been left unplugged, but hard to diagnose from your description.

autozone will pull the codes for you for free.