Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Brake= Wasting Gas??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tttp5
but doesn't down shifting put more wear on the engine as it has to work at higher rpms even if your foot was off the gas pedal?

and if u had a turbo its no good for a turbo either correct?
Well, if throttle was closed, I think it's safe for the turbo... with a BOV.
Old 02-17-08, 10:32 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys retarded? Engine braking does not waste gas, only sometimes when the car has to blip the throttle for you because you downshifted too many gears. Your fuel injectors are turned off on decel and turned back on when the MILES PER HOUR threshold has gone under the limit. For example you're going 60 mph and you click down to 2nd gear it'll waste zero gas all the way to around 5-7 mph when the engine HAS to turn on the injectors to keep the car idling, get it?
Old 02-17-08, 02:54 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

lets keep this friendly and not call anyone retarded

i agree with you though. they only way you waste gas is when the vehicle is idling and when you actually touch the throttle. when the TPS senses that you opened the throttle body aka pressed the gas it will turn the injectors on. when you engine break the injector are active when you rev-match the motor to the lower gears RPM the moment you let off the gas the injectors turn off....thus not wasting any gas.

you engine may experience some minor increase in engine wear but you will never realistically own the car long enough to see it happen. it may limit your cars life by a few thousand miles at best.

as far as clutch wear goes it may be true if you downshift but dont rev match. when i drive i rev-match all the time. i would be going 50 in 5th gear at 2200 rpm(about). if i need to slow down i press the clutch rev to 3000rpm and put in in 3rd gear. and let out the clutch. when you get good at rev-matching you will have smooth deceleration with out jerking. you will experience clutch wear when you go from 5th to 3rd and you dump the clutch. then the clutch has to match the speed of the wheels and higher rpm thus wearing out more.

i did my clutch over a year ago. i rev-match, downshift, and engine brake all the time. i daily drive my car and take it to drift days all summer long. i have not seen any decrease in clutch performance. when i bought my car the clutch was so bad that when i would go 50, downshift to 4th and do a pull to 100mph and then come to a stop the burning clutch would stink up the car.

i put in my exedy and have been happy ever since.