Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question(s) for those w/ Seibon CF Hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 02:51 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I would want to have that part of the install done by a proff. body man. Guess Ill stick with my perfect stock hood for now as well.
Old 02-20-08, 02:56 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i weighed everything quite some time ago and it was either a 20 or 40lbs loss going to a cf hood and im pretty sure it was only a 20lbs loss
Old 02-20-08, 03:03 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

hey 20 less lbs maybe i can man handle my hood by myself now !
Old 02-20-08, 03:15 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

and the thing is..when losing that 20 lbs..its not just 20 lbs off the total weight..but also removing 20 lbs off the pressure while driving. the actual weight may not be significant, but when driving, and the downforce of the wind upon the hood would be quite significant, reason why some higher end cars have cf roofs. something else to take into thought
Old 02-20-08, 03:26 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
and the thing is..when losing that 20 lbs..its not just 20 lbs off the total weight..but also removing 20 lbs off the pressure while driving. the actual weight may not be significant, but when driving, and the downforce of the wind upon the hood would be quite significant, reason why some higher end cars have cf roofs. something else to take into thought

I dont understand why CF would have any less down force.
Old 02-20-08, 03:35 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TJohnson
For now I will be keeping it latched as it is. Hood pins ruin it for me on the body lines of this car. I don't think they look right and I don't yet see the need for them. I have had it up to about 80mph so far and it barely moves at all. A little ripple movement on ocassion but that's it. I am keeping a VERY close eye on it though.
The truth is, If you close it and it does latch into the locking mechanism correctly, the odds are you will probably never have a problem......I drove mine for a couple weeks before i put them in, and ive driven with mine removed several times without issue....But they do fail alot more than stock hoods....(ask CL member Roo)
Its not the locking mech. wich fails so much . As it is that hook portion of the hood failing and/or a strong wind at high speeds lifting a corner of the hood and tearing it right off !.....
I agree hood pins are ugly, but not as ugly as having your hood suddenly fly through the windshield at 95MPH, sending you sideways under an 18 wheeler!
Old 02-20-08, 06:25 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldnt trust any carbon fiber hood. A guy here has a $1500 vented CF hood on a 350z. while driving the bottom half of the hood and the top skin separated and peeled back onto the windshield.
Old 02-20-08, 06:50 PM
BarryV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pnyboy27
I believe what your trying to say is some higher end cars have carbon fiber roofs because it is less weight on the top of the car, keeping the center of gravity lower. I personally decided not to get a carbon fiber hood and spent it on a gym membership to lose some weight
Old 02-21-08, 06:57 AM
TJohnson
Driver

All good points being made by a lot of people here for sure.

My original reason for going with this hood was the paint on my factory hood was toast. It was unfixable and would require it be stripped down to primer or metal and start over. To do that properly and have it blend in with the rest of the car (which oddly enough looks great), it would have cost a minimum 600 dollars or more to do it in a way that I would be satisfied with. Even then the paint wouldn't match perfectly and I'd sitll have a factory hood.

I got this hood brand new for $475 to my door and combine that with the lost weight and how very good I think it looks on a dark colored car, it was well worth it to me.

I hear what you are saying about the pins. I have owned two Supras in the past both with CF hoods and I didn't use pins on either of them. I have heard all the horror stories and bad things that have happened to some people. In my experience with them, they have held up pretty good, so for now I will keep it as is, but that could change anytime
Old 02-21-08, 07:16 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

I have the Seibon vented carbon fiber hood...it's extremely light (and flimsy). If I had to guess it's at least 40lbs lighter than the stock hood just by my impression of it. I had the hood installed by the best shop I could find (and also personal friend of Seibon's owner), so it was installed properly. But, waddya know, it's already developed two small spider cracks in the latch area. So, I'm waiting for Seibon to fix this since I paid for everything and it's under warranty.

I forsee some hood latches in the future because this flimsy hood does in fact flex and wiggle a lot at cruising speeds. It's a little creepy seeing the hood flex and contort so much from cruising wind vibrations . I've heard of carbon fiber hoods flexing up from one corner and causing much damage (when only central latch is used), so I strongly believe side hood pins of some kind are a requirement with these hoods simply for safety. I have some pics in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...171570&page=27

Click back 1-3 pages from the last post to see the pics...

Last edited by dejacky; 02-21-08 at 07:24 AM.