Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some help for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 08:08 PM
Mayhore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help for a noob?

Well im 15 going on 16 and ive been looking for a car to get, and the lexus sc300 caught my eye, ive been growing up around fast cars all my life. I want somthing fast, and affordable.

I have a general idea of what i want.

I want to get a SC300 and swap it with a 2jz then turbo it and make like 450-500 horsepower and use it as a daily, i want to know how much am i looking tro spend here?

im only paying half of my car upfront, then im going to pay my dad in small payments for the opther half that he paid. so i gues si have a pretty good budget.

ill be going to dubai to live with my dad for a year working at his shop for 8 dollars an hour with a .25 cnt raise for eevry a i get. so when i come back ill have a good amount of money for the car.
Old 02-25-08, 08:12 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16? dammmm. but hey sc's are good cars, most def. GL wit ur job and hope ur plans work out man.

Peace out
Old 02-25-08, 08:16 PM
Mayhore
Driver School Candidate

thanks, ill be 17 by the time i ge tthe car though haha.
Old 02-25-08, 10:58 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i say learn how to drive first. an sc with a swap and 400-500hp in a hands of most 17 year olds last about...uhm lets see: from my experience about 4 month and then it ends up getting totaled or just beaten on beyond belief.

but dont worry. SC's are tanks. if you manage to snap a telephone pole or two rest assured that you will live to see your high school graduation. the car will definitely save you.

if youre looking for a fast car i say hold off on it. get a 1996-2000 civic hatchback do some suspension mods and take in to track days. learn how to go ***** out in that car. learn how to feel the car. when you can handle that think of an actual fast car.

you might be pissed at me at this point because i make you seem like an immature kid looking for a fast ride to pick up his little teeny booper cheerleader girlfriends.

IM NOT!!!

this is the reality. im only 22 but have seen so many people that think they know how to drive get a "fast" car and end up ******* it up.

im not being an *** but seriously think about this. if you want a fun RWD ride get a 240 first. they are a lot easier to learn how to maneuver then a boat like the SC. i have both and the 240 is a lot more fun even stock. my buddies 92 s13 vert 5spd is even more fun then mine because its so much lighter.
Old 02-26-08, 01:36 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i say learn how to drive first. an sc with a swap and 400-500hp in a hands of most 17 year olds last about...uhm lets see: from my experience about 4 month and then it ends up getting totaled or just beaten on beyond belief.

but dont worry. SC's are tanks. if you manage to snap a telephone pole or two rest assured that you will live to see your high school graduation. the car will definitely save you.

if youre looking for a fast car i say hold off on it. get a 1996-2000 civic hatchback do some suspension mods and take in to track days. learn how to go ***** out in that car. learn how to feel the car. when you can handle that think of an actual fast car.

you might be pissed at me at this point because i make you seem like an immature kid looking for a fast ride to pick up his little teeny booper cheerleader girlfriends.

IM NOT!!!

this is the reality. im only 22 but have seen so many people that think they know how to drive get a "fast" car and end up ******* it up.

im not being an *** but seriously think about this. if you want a fun RWD ride get a 240 first. they are a lot easier to learn how to maneuver then a boat like the SC. i have both and the 240 is a lot more fun even stock. my buddies 92 s13 vert 5spd is even more fun then mine because its so much lighter.
I agree. Learn how to drive the car in the stock form first and be safe. I know that when you get your first cool car you want to show off a bit, but it's not worth it. Mod it bit by bit and keep the racing on the track. Don't wanna end up like this :http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=124526

Good luck on your search for everything and I am sure you'll love the SC once you own it.
Old 02-26-08, 02:43 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Not to be a wet blanket, but the above posts have a lot of wisdom. I got my sc300 at age 18, I thought I was mature enough for it. I planned to do a swap to get to 500 whp etc etc. Its been two years since and I am barely starting it. I am fortunate enough to be able to get into the military and get an enlistment bonus, but even with that I had to maturely budget that money and really haven't spent any on mods for my car. So far its paying off as I have the possibility of finishing the swap this year, but even if I can't at this time I won't rush it even if it takes me another two years.

Be patient, just like the other posts say, and if you decide to get the sc300. Be prepared to spend money on top of the amount you used to buy the car just on regular maintenence items. Especially once you initially buy it. It is a used car after all, and there might be something non functional from the get go. (personally I had to get the ac compressor replaced as well as the seat motor) Right now I'm fighting an oil leak, but I think I'll just swap in my gte already. Be prepared to spend on Premium gas......That alone has really let me appreciate 4 cyl cars that take regular.

Good luck over all and enjoy whatever decision you make.
Old 02-26-08, 06:13 AM
Mayhore
Driver School Candidate

I had the civic hatchback in mind at first and i wanted to swap it with a B18c1 and some suspension mods. then i realiozed i would be spending like 8 thousand on a honda.

My older brother had a civic SI and he had an ls-vtec swap and he made like 500 whp, he was 17 at the time, hes here today and he diidnt drive like a 17 year old.

and he tought me how to drive, I actualy THINK im a pretty responsable driver, when i take my brothers car (integra) to go places i never beat oon it. Except once, on the highway haha. but there was no1 around me.

I have my heart set on an SC. Maybe ill just get the SC and swap it with the 2jz-gte and hold off on the turbo untill i cna learn how to drive the car........ itll be decent at that time anyways.
Old 02-26-08, 08:23 AM
Zeal3
Pole Position

im only 17 and had a SC. it got totalled though.
but dont expect modding to be cheap. everything will add up. 2jzgte can range from 3-8k with or w/o the tranny. then u have to get it swapped and tuned.
so much horsepower shouldnt be handed down to someone not knowing their limits. my friend took out his 1jz supra and crashed it the other week. but once u get comfortable on the road and knowing what to do then i say start modding. have fun in Dubai!
if u parents pull the safe card. tell them the SC is built like a tank!
Old 02-26-08, 09:57 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mayhore
I had the civic hatchback in mind at first and i wanted to swap it with a B18c1 and some suspension mods. then i realiozed i would be spending like 8 thousand on a honda.

My older brother had a civic SI and he had an ls-vtec swap and he made like 500 whp, he was 17 at the time, hes here today and he diidnt drive like a 17 year old.

and he tought me how to drive, I actualy THINK im a pretty responsable driver, when i take my brothers car (integra) to go places i never beat oon it. Except once, on the highway haha. but there was no1 around me.

I have my heart set on an SC. Maybe ill just get the SC and swap it with the 2jz-gte and hold off on the turbo untill i cna learn how to drive the car........ itll be decent at that time anyways.
8K on a honda with a swap and suspension work is not a lot of money. you finding a clean SC will cost that much bone stock. i got my 93 sc300 5sp for 5000 two years ago. cost for cost. a honda will be more fun and a better car for you to learn how to drive then an SC.

i dont want to flame on your brother but i dont think that a civic SI with 500whp will last long enough for him to kill himself behind the wheel....unless the car falls on him off the jackstands. lol. jk

its a lot easier to learn how to drive a FWD car. RWD is a totally different ballgame. the way you handle the car are not very intuitive. if it starts to slide out you counter-steer. thats easy. what do you do when the car starts pushing in corners. well you can either let off the throttle, correct it, and get back on it. or you can actually give it more throttle and have the back end come around. you catch that slide, control it, and keep going.

see everyone is a reasonable driver. that is until you get that rush of speed and you start "racing" and taking turns like a pro. thats when the good driver are separated from the inexperienced ones. sometimes that separation line is life or death.

i dont want to be so grim about it but you i dont think you realize what you will be getting yourself into once you get the car and then try to go drifting in it or any other performance driving.
Old 02-26-08, 01:47 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommend getting a cheap car at first. I drove a 3-speed auto Chevy Prizm before my SC. It sucked, but I had fun doing some cheap mods and learning how to drive it. It was a great fun little car and it suited my needs back then. I even took it to a few bracket racing events (and ran some 19 second E.T.'s), but it was still really fun. Just go out and get something cheap and reliable that you can have fun messing around with.
My 2 cents.
Old 02-26-08, 02:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

GET A 240SX. seriously!!!

getting a decked out civic will only teach you how to drive wrong wheel drive.
It will not help you tame a 500 hp SC

my first real car was a 240sx, stock motor, FULL intake/exhaust, J30 VLSD.
It taught me everything I know about driving, drifting, and weight transfer.
And it was cheap enough for me to run it into stuff and fix it over again.
parts are readily available and lots of upgrades possible.

Tackling a souped up SC300 is no amatuer feat. It is a huge car and If you don't know your fundamentals, it is definately not the easiest to learn on (although some of us make it look easy )
Old 02-26-08, 03:17 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

thats why i made my buddy buy a s13 as a first RWD car

we took our cars drifting in the snow and i was throwing his car around like nothing and he had trouble with mine because it just feels different and added weight doesnt help either.
Old 02-26-08, 08:02 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Ali SC3;3311040]GET A 240SX. seriously!!!

QUOTE]

i agree

my first fast car at 16 was a 240 with mods, by 18 had a sr20 with a stroker kit making 484 to the wheels, and im more scared of my sc400 than my 240.
lol
Old 02-26-08, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mayhore
I want to get a SC300 and swap it with a 2jz then turbo it and make like 450-500 horsepower and use it as a daily, i want to know how much am i looking tro spend here?
It already has a 2JZ. Unless you meant a 2JZ-GTE. So, going single eh? Anyways, a 2JZ-GTE with BPU could reach 400+ hp with the right toys... no single turbo needed for that.