Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

wont rev pass 2k and stutters + pop

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 10:25 AM
LiftedSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont rev pass 2k and stutters + pop

ive been searching about the problem but havent really found an answer so im posting a thread about it.

2 nights ago while driving home on the 22 from work. i was in 5th gear doin about 80 so it was like 3k rpm. i changed lane and accelerated but the engine suddenly just jerk and it felt like i hit my rev limiter. so i accelerated again and as soon as i hit like 3300rpm it stuttered again. i thought maybe i was low on oil because i do have an oil pan leak problem. added some oil let it sit and everything was fine again.

last night on my way to meet up some friends i hit the freeway on ramp and hit 5k in 1st and 2nd and it was pulling pretty good until i hit 3rd or 4th then it really really stuttered and jerk. now i cant even hit 2200 rpm. let me stuck on the side of the 22 eastbound between mag and brookhurst. so i slowly got off the freeway and drove it to my uncles repair shop next to the asian mall. havent gone out there yet been home researching the problem.

on the surface street to the shop im not able to rev pass 2k rpm the car will just stutter jerk and pop. it feels like when ur in 1st gear and u hit the gas and teh car jerks and i have to immediately shift to the next gear.. i hear my exhaust popping .when i try to rev pass 2k it jerks and if i keep my foot on the gas the rpm will jump and the exhaust will pop but im not really picking up speed at all.

from what im guessing that it could be a few things. engine not getting oil pressure so it cant spin at higher rpm. something to do with the fuel system, pumps, injectors and such . or even not getting enough sparks. i even took the ground cable off the battery and sat there for a few mins thinking it could be something wrong with the ecu.

if anyone has any thoughts or advice about this problem i would be pretty greatful. its my only form of transportation and my uncle would fix it for free but im trying to get a good diagnosis before going out to the shop later today. thanks.
Old 02-29-08, 10:43 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Old 02-29-08, 11:47 AM
Tainted
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a distributor on the car, if so I 'm going with it, or the rotor came off the shaft.
Sounds like a timing issue, I guess the timing belt could have jumped teeth, but that usually just makes it sluggish in weird spots in the rev range, not hitting a rev "brick wall".
Good luck, and let us know.
Dan
Old 02-29-08, 11:52 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a similiar problem with my 94 altima after i ran it into a huge puddle of water. it would start to stutter at like 3k too. my dad and brother where trying to fix it cuz the brother went to my car. they found out it was the MAF. but since u didn't run into a big *** puddle of water...yeah. but can try. =/

peace out
Old 02-29-08, 04:14 PM
LiftedSC
Driver School Candidate

just talked to my uncles mech, he said its most likely the maf. said the engine has no measurement of air flow so its running rich. thanks guys for the help. anyone in socal has a maf laying around?
Old 02-29-08, 05:53 PM
Tainted
Driver School Candidate

Try cleaning it first, worth the $3 for a can of electronic parts cleaner to give it a shot.
Worked like a charm on a 4runner and caddy we did it to.
Good luck
Dan
Old 02-29-08, 06:07 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

some ppl who cleaned it got a CEL right after. forget if they said if it ran better or not though.

Peace out
Old 02-29-08, 06:49 PM
Tainted
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by breakb
some ppl who cleaned it got a CEL right after. forget if they said if it ran better or not though.

Peace out
Just figured, if you were gonna replace it anyway.......
Old 02-29-08, 06:53 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

MAF 100%. Ran into this issue on the Z when I went dual POP.
Old 03-01-08, 11:10 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

damn, too bad i have the same issue on a MAP where i know the sensor is good.

i think i've ruled it down to cam sensor w/ possible crank sensor issues/timing
Old 03-01-08, 11:35 AM
Rexn30
Pole Position

I have a MAF that came off my 92' sc300, if you need it lemme know, but im on the opposite side of the Us from you ! Someone local has one im positive. Or hey find another person with a SC and ask if you can switch out real fast and see if that fixes the problem. Goodluck.
Old 03-01-08, 11:44 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure you can buy just the sensor by itself from Pep Boys for like $60, rather than buying the housing & sensor, which costs alot more.
Old 03-01-08, 04:26 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put my money on the maf, don't get electronic cleaner, get the actual maf cleaner, it's like five bucks, but I use it on many nissans, and I've done it on my SC4 (equipped with karmen vortex though) and no CEL.
Old 03-01-08, 08:00 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the maf
Old 03-02-08, 11:02 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont rule out ignition components like wires and plugs. Everytime I had that exact issue, it turned out to be bad plug wires. Test your plug wires and take a look at your plugs while your at it. If everything is fine, then you pretty much know its the maf.

Gl

Quick Reply: wont rev pass 2k and stutters + pop