Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats the world record top speed for the SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 05:38 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Were all playing nice in here right????
Personal attacks...cmon, you all are talking about cars.

Keep it that way.

Remember...I'm the A-hole with the Ban Trigger.
Old 03-03-08, 05:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
SC is not a super car. never was, never will be. so you have 7.5K and you think that half of what you need? well how much money do you need to build a 600-700hp engine. to do it right and reliable you will need a large chunk of your funds.

most super cars are not that heavy. SC weighs in at about 3600lb.

if you really want to know how much it will cost and how much work it is then start a project and do it. no one on this forum has a 200mph sc/soarer. the hks supra that was doing top speed runs was reportedly estimated that about 200,000 went into it. thats enough to buy a pretty nice house.

so 7.5K is a far cry from making a reliable top speed car.

are you even planning to strip the car out? you wil have to do it to put in a very strong cage. you dont want to have a problem occur at 200mph and flip.

no offense but i can guarantee you that if you go to any shop and tell them you wanna go 200mph and what it will take to do it they will laugh at you and send you home. its nothing against you its just they would not take you seriously.

i had a guy come to my shop with an integra and he wanted to get an engine built. i said okay. i talked to the guy because my boss is an old sedish engine builder that does Audi/VW stuff and im into imports. the guy told me his buddies eclipse does 10's at the track and he wants to go faster then that. i knew it could be done but then he told me he has a 5000 dollar budget. i smiled and told him that our services for him were unattainable. this was at the time when we charged a customer about 14,000 bucks for a complete 4AG toyota atlantic motor.

these days a built racing motor is a lot of money. toyota no longer sponsors the atlantic series and last i heard they moved from a 1600cc 4AG 240hp engine to a 2.4L 320hp Cosworth engine. this cosworth engine goes for 28,000 and its a spec engine. you cant modify it at all. if you blow it up they give you a new one.

I agree that a shop would laugh at you if you asked that question, since no one builds their car up to do a certain top speed unless its a race car (and it wouldnt be done with a SC).

But many supercars over the past 10 years weigh MORE than the SC; especially cars in the Lamborghini brand The 550 Maranello could do mid 190s IIRC and it only made 500hp? (definitely a far cry from 500whp) but weighed almost 4000lbs.

The SC chassis is VERY capable, its extremely strong, and much of the stock hardware could take 200mph speeds. FYI: 650whp Supra/SCs generally run mid 140s in the 1/4 mile traps. Do you really think they couldn't get to 200mph?

Originally Posted by OhxPoopy
i said 1/4 mile bcs do u honestly think u can drive a constant 200mph? i hope u have full life coverage if u attempt it.
I've done 175mph before in my 300zxTT (guess-stimating since the needle only went to 160) and it was perfectly fine. If you've got the suspension to handle it and good tires, you're fine. But doing it in traffic is downright stupid, even on the interstate it may not be safe. It'd need to be a large preinspected area for curves/dips/debris/people. Like a runway

Originally Posted by sc300fives
who cares about top speed its all about quarter mile and acceleration!
I completely agree.

Last edited by Bean; 03-03-08 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-03-08, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
I'm not ready to go bother a company yet.
But HKS and Top Secret are record breakers.
You might even need a turbo from HKS or Top secret.
Just kidding man. Yea it's possible to get to 200mph, I have the idea of how but I just don't know all the details.
Old 03-03-08, 05:47 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Your best bet would be to go with a 2JZGTE setup similar to this guy, it won't be cheap but this Supra that went 228.719mph at the Texas Mile on 19's here's the youtube in car vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8DxXhwdSI

He's a member on Supraforums and from what I can find his setup is:

3.4L Titan Stroker Motor fully built
V160 Tranny
GT4788R
T6 Manifold
Full Race 5" DP/MP
Autobanh 5" Exhaust
AEM EMS
Virtual Works Intake Manifold
Autobanh Fuel System

Here are some SF threads about the car:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=461745&page=2
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=459734
Old 03-03-08, 05:57 PM
Rexn30
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Wow thats crazy, I couldn't imagine going 200mph O_o
Old 03-03-08, 05:59 PM
Instructor

It's like you're gonna fly off the tarmac if you don't have any downforce.
Old 03-03-08, 08:18 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

you guys make it sound like 200mph is a out there idea its been done many times and can be done for not a terrible amount of money

you can hit 200 with a 3.13 ring and pinion and a 6spd trans and not a whole lot of power. i would recommend any decent set of coilovers as well as some down force ie spoiler to keep some good traction on the rear wheels. a proper wheels and tire set up is obvious as well. as far as motor configuration just make some power and you will get the the question is how fast do you want to get there
Old 03-03-08, 08:59 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by soarer479
you guys make it sound like 200mph is a out there idea its been done many times and can be done for not a terrible amount of money

you can hit 200 with a 3.13 ring and pinion and a 6spd trans and not a whole lot of power. i would recommend any decent set of coilovers as well as some down force ie spoiler to keep some good traction on the rear wheels. a proper wheels and tire set up is obvious as well. as far as motor configuration just make some power and you will get the the question is how fast do you want to get there
For real man, its like 200mph is treated as some mystical barrier that you need special exotic pixie dust to hit. Are you guys serious? I know cherplex isn't. The STOCK MKIV SUPRA would hit 180mph STOCK. Do you guys understand that? There's not some magical wall of force that stops you from getting to 200mph. I'd bet money that a BPU++ car could do it.
Old 03-03-08, 09:55 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Agreed. My car makes 540whp/500wtq, with the GTE swap, and I know for a fact that it's not the lack of power that is restraining me, nor is it the suspension that I'm not comfortable with, it's the fact that I'm running a W58 with a stock diff. Once I throw in the 6spd, and a supra pumpkin, I don't think that I'll have much of a problem getting to those speeds if I so desired. Do I have 200k in my car? LOL, uh no. Try more like 15k, and with the Getrag/diff setup, I'll be up to 20k tops. Hell, I'm sure if you budget it more than I did, it can be done for less. I just went overboard with nice wheels, Sparcos, etc.
Old 03-03-08, 10:26 PM
wusupra
Driver

Tommy actually had slicks on when he went that speed. not the 19's. and he has roughly 1300rwhp..tell me what SC has that HP.
Old 03-04-08, 12:09 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

well since the sc and the supra are basically the same car..and the parts are interchangeable, im sure its very much possible.
Old 03-04-08, 01:01 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I am sure its theoretically possible if you dump about 30k plus into the engine like some of the guys on the Supraforums. However, the problem is aerodynamics... A heavier exotic car can hit high speeds such as 170mph with less power than what we need to achieve such speeds in our cars due to better aerodynamics.

As for 200 mph being a mystical barrier, recently Road and Track (or some other mainstream automotive publication) tested a bunch of exotics on a top speed run and most of them couldn't hit their rated top speeds
Old 03-04-08, 07:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wusupra
Tommy actually had slicks on when he went that speed. not the 19's. and he has roughly 1300rwhp..tell me what SC has that HP.
You could LITERALLY unbolt the engine and entire suspension from that car and put it into an SC chassis and it would run the same times, if not better due to the extra 4" wheelbase.

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I am sure its theoretically possible if you dump about 30k plus into the engine like some of the guys on the Supraforums. However, the problem is aerodynamics... A heavier exotic car can hit high speeds such as 170mph with less power than what we need to achieve such speeds in our cars due to better aerodynamics.

As for 200 mph being a mystical barrier, recently Road and Track (or some other mainstream automotive publication) tested a bunch of exotics on a top speed run and most of them couldn't hit their rated top speeds
You dont need 30k into the engine. Where's this magical number coming from? You guys have been brainwashed into thinking the engine needs upgrading at 500whp and that you've got to pay some ultra over-inflated prices for this stuff. $900 for a 4" downpipe/midpipe? You GOTTA be kidding me. For 700whp in this car you need turbokit, standalone ecu, tuning, transmission/driveline and suspension. You don't need 20" HRE rims, or Bomex bodykits, or complete restyling of your interior. I'd bet I could take a completely bone stock SC300 and put it over 200mph for <$10k; and the BULK of that cost is a transmission upgrade. I havent checked how well an R154 would do on an autoTT rear-end with a higher rpm limiter. I know its good for handling the power to hit 200mph, just not sure about gearing.
Old 03-04-08, 01:29 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bean, I love you.
Old 03-04-08, 02:45 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

My car on good gas makes somewhere close too 800. And all I have is turbo, fuel and standalone on a stock longblock. Gimme tires and a strip I'll do it. And I have no where close to 30k in mods. (I do lack saftey equipment though to encourage me to do it)

200 is not that big of a deal on paper its actually having the ***** to do it. There are a few SC's that could it but they just dont.

Last edited by Arizona; 03-04-08 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Whats the world record top speed for the SC?