Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

questions about fuel managment..help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 09:07 PM
antsc300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions about fuel managment..help..

i've been SEARCHING (yes i've searched the forum) for a while now on what to run my fuel system(planning to run the xs turbo kit)...i have a 96 lexus sc300 5/speed which i presume is obd2..i want to start with a very basic fuel management system, then will upgrade from there,when the funds allow...i just want to get the project off the ground,then invest on...i know there are tons of kits out there;ex...safc,mapecu,emanage,megasquirt,aem,haltech,etc...now my questions is which is the most user friendly(lotsa experience in the repair field,not much in tuning,i am the manager of a automotive repair facility) and cost effective,as in can't be running stand-alone right now,expensive and lotsa dyno time..(i will invest in one when the funds build back up) so what do you guys recommend,i was thinking safc2,for simplicity sake,and price..(plus not too may complaints) but the system isn't in-depth enough in some areas for fine tuning and fuel/boost spikes(i don't want the car to run like crap)...or go with mapecu,but it sounds a tad bit tuffer to tune,(finding someone experienced in mapecu is tough too,MI sucks) plus heard peeps had some trouble with it confusing the ecm..but having a obd2 should make tuning on mapecu easier and more stable,plus it has more in depth tuning potential,correct??plus enlighten me wise ones...:bowdown-0
anthony
Old 03-05-08, 09:17 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Map ECU is a finer tuning tool than an SAFC, but if you don't have experience, it's not something you'd wanna tackle. The SAFC would do the trick, but the MAP ECU would provide a better/more solid tune, with it being able to tune different loads.
Old 03-06-08, 04:00 AM
antsc300
Rookie

on a conservative tune on the safc(say around 8-9psi)how tough will it be to tune??will the car run and idle decent even with some good dyno time,knowing the factory ecm will it try to make it's own compensations and screw the tune up??what do you mean,"tuning different loads"??
anthony
Old 03-06-08, 04:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i have a 97 na-t

my advice , keep it simple.. i use the map ecu v3.. my car is obdII and i have almost zero issues and the car makes 470rwhp at 18psi and it controls my 550 inj just fine .. i had a shop/tuner tune the wot just to be safe then from there i street tuned it myself for best driveability.. its very very simple to understand the fuel maps and after a few tries you start to figure out how car reacts to different inputs but i leave the wot part of the map alone for that was tuned on a load bearing dyno

car starts fine idles perfectly and transitions to wot almost perfectly and as long as you reach within targets set by oem ecu , the ecu will leave your settings ...
Old 03-06-08, 09:52 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're new to tuning, picking up a SAFC is more than adequate. I'm not saying you'd be unable to tune a more complicated one by any means, but it's easier to get the hang of it on an SAFC and move on from there. I only paid $70 for mine.
Old 03-06-08, 12:03 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea entry level wise I would say get the SAFC but to do it right you will want to get an wideband meter. If you will one day get the AEM I would say pick up AEMs as it comes with a guage as well. If you do not want to get them both I would pick up the emanage or the map ecu.
Old 03-06-08, 01:02 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
yea entry level wise I would say get the SAFC but to do it right you will want to get an wideband meter. If you will one day get the AEM I would say pick up AEMs as it comes with a guage as well. If you do not want to get them both I would pick up the emanage or the map ecu.
Oh naturally, I didn't even think to mention it. I have an SAFC and the AEM UEGO wideband. I would never ever suggest tuning without a wideband hooked up.
Old 03-06-08, 04:14 PM
antsc300
Rookie

has anybody ran the new aem fic management??from what i've seen and heard it's suppose to be pretty much badass,for a piggyback system...and at the price they are going for,it sounds like one hell of a deal...
anthony
Old 03-06-08, 04:20 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

There's a section for it on ClubNA-T but I don't know anything about it.