Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Crank Pulley Bolt Removal Sc400

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 11:39 PM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Bolt Removal Sc400

Hi. I have just about everything removed for the timing belt job except for the crank pulley bolt. I am seriously considering buying the special service tool from toyota/lexus. I have searched and found that this is a common pita! I have a long breaker bar, but I am not sure how to keep the crank pulley from rotating. I cannot use the starter trick b/c I am way too deep into the removal. I don't really have any air tools and I'm trying to do this by hand.

I am pretty pissed that I am so far along and cannot seem to be able to get the crank pulley bolt off. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing this crank pulley bolt. I am desperate. I really don't want to give up on this but I'm really not sure what to do other than to buy the special service tool. I don't want to put everything back together without completing the job. I am so close. Please help. Thanks
Old 03-07-08, 03:52 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

hammer....

whack the ***** out of it, yes it will turn...do it again and again and it will come loose

if that dont work call chuck norris 713-866-6249
Old 03-07-08, 04:42 AM
SiennaII's
Driver School Candidate

Use some PB Blaster and if you have a prybar, pry on the back of the pulley carefully and then tap with a deadblow or rubber mallet. Should work its way off.
Old 03-07-08, 09:04 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

If the motor is off of the trans, you can just hold the flywheel still, while you turn the pulley bolt.
If the trans is still on, you can access the flywheel at the bottom of the trans/motor/ 2 bolts hold the access door on. open it up, and hold/wedge the flywheel still, while you loosen the crank bolt.
Old 03-07-08, 11:40 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this last weekend. First, try an impact wrench. I had one that does 240 ftlbs and it still wouldn't budge. Try to get one that's 500 ftlbs if you can.

Here is the cheap solution. Go get a plumber's wrench and tighten it down on the pulley (right hand side with the handle pointing at about 2 o'clock). Get a pipe or something to slip over the plumber's wrench and a buddy to hold it still. You can try and wedge it under the frame if your pole is long enough (insert joke here). Put your breaker bar on at about 11 o'clock and pull like hell.

It took two people pulling the breaker bar and one holding the pipe wrench for this to work.

Needless to say, a powerful impact wrench is the safest bet.

This method put a slight gouge in the pulley. I used a file to make sure there were no sharp pieces.

Good luck. My car is still in pieces right now. I ended up breaking one of the bolts holding the hydraulic pump into the water pump into the head off flush with the head. I've taken everything back off and will be trying to extract that bolt. Let me know if you need any pointers.
Old 03-09-08, 11:29 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's how I did it in any other car that gave me an issue:

When the breaker bar method didn't work, when the impact gun didn't work:

put a breaker bar with a socket on the bolt, and the other end against the ground make sure it's firm. Now go and crank the car, not to make it try to start, but just enough to get the bolt loose. Maybe a split second, thats it. I've never broken a bolt or anything else for that matter.
Old 03-09-08, 07:00 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

I agree with Tavarish. That's how I've always done it. I disable the ignition first, just in case!
Old 03-09-08, 10:21 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tavarish
here's how I did it in any other car that gave me an issue:

When the breaker bar method didn't work, when the impact gun didn't work:

put a breaker bar with a socket on the bolt, and the other end against the ground make sure it's firm. Now go and crank the car, not to make it try to start, but just enough to get the bolt loose. Maybe a split second, thats it. I've never broken a bolt or anything else for that matter.
oldest unsecured way, but it does work. its good to have two people doing this. 1 cranking the car the other looking (but not to close)to see if it comes lose. just becarefull and it will come off using this method.
Old 03-09-08, 10:24 PM
Touge
Pole Position

For the method of putting the breaker bar on the ground, I assume position the bar facing the front passenger wheel rt ?.
Old 05-06-14, 10:00 AM
donnq
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default tighten sc300 crankshaft pully bolt

I have a solution that does not require the toyota tool

Use the old serpentine
tuck it in and wrap it around the crank pulley wheel...
with th other side looped around the water pump as close as you can get it to the block...
turn the pully bolt to tighten the belt
cut a piece of wood to length to to support the water pump as you trorque the pulley bolt
drill hole to match the pegs on the water pump that are for the Fan attachment
DQ
Old 05-06-14, 01:15 PM
donnq
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post