Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC300 (130k) NEED HELP with Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 06:57 PM
carlmatthe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not normally. I usually get about the same 19 to 20 mpg. I think the problem is my MAF or ECU. I'm going to head to Pep Boys for the alternator.

Do you guys think that Getting a new ECU and MAF will solve my problem?
Old 03-15-08, 07:28 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carlmatthe
No not normally. I usually get about the same 19 to 20 mpg. I think the problem is my MAF or ECU. I'm going to head to Pep Boys for the alternator.

Do you guys think that Getting a new ECU and MAF will solve my problem?
Buy a used ECU on here or from member "Gazi" for cheap. If that doesn't work, buy a MAF from Autozone and if it doesn't help just bring it back and get your money back.

Jonny
Old 03-15-08, 07:39 PM
carlmatthe
Rookie

Ok sounds like a plan. I'm already talking with a guy on here about his auto ECU. Thank you.

I think that changing my alternator will also solve my battery problem. I remember on a thread i read, this guys power steering was leaking on his alternator causing it to go bad. My power steering pump leaks in the same spot.

Pretty soon I'm planning on a 2JZ GTE swap. Kinda of a long shot but does anyone know of any good shops in ATLANTA? I don't want to race I just want to have a reliable turbo. I'll probably even keep it automatic
Old 03-15-08, 07:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carlmatthe
Ok sounds like a plan. I'm already talking with a guy on here about his auto ECU. Thank you.

I think that changing my alternator will also solve my battery problem. I remember on a thread i read, this guys power steering was leaking on his alternator causing it to go bad.

Pretty soon I'm planning on a 2JZ GTE swap. Kinda of a long shot but does anyone know of any good shops in ATLANTA? I don't want to race I just want to have a reliable turbo. I'll probably even keep it automatic
If your power steering pump leaked then yes, good idea to replace the alternator.

I would be wary about diving into something like this with your limited knowlege of cars. It gets expensive, fast! Trust me.

I believe Battleground is in Atlanta, and I am sure there are some others. Message "Morris" as he is in ATL and had a turbo installed on his car. I believe it was at Mahdavi Motorsports.

Jonnny
Old 03-15-08, 07:51 PM
carlmatthe
Rookie

Ah yes Mahdavi Motorsports. these guys have a hell of a reputation when it somes to turbo cars. I actuallt talked to one of the guys up there and they were saying prices oh just to start $3000.

i already have the motor and auto tranny (Got it from my friends wrecked supra). I just reallt want someone with knowledge to install it. i wasn't expecting to pay that much just for a swap.

It didn't cost nearly that much to put a B-18C1 in my 96 civic coupe. Again thank you for all of this information.
Old 03-15-08, 08:07 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Glad to help Let me know if you get the car running...

Jonny
Old 03-15-08, 08:10 PM
carlmatthe
Rookie

Definitly No problem. Got a busy next couple of days coming up
Old 03-16-08, 09:12 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you figured this out yet? Rich will usually be black smoke.

Does your power steering pump have a vaccum switch for idle up? I've seen them go bad, allowing ps fluid into the intake manifold.

Just a thought.

KC
Old 03-17-08, 01:03 PM
carlmatthe
Rookie

I really don't know if it has a Vaccum switch or not. This is my first SC and compared to my turbo civic. Its diffrent. I took off all of my intake piping this morning and i found this dark greasy liquid inside my tube. I have no idea what this substance is but i noticed that it is inside all of the tubing from the MAF back to the Throttle.

I plan on changing my intake soon with an AEM. Hopefully that will solve some of the problems I am having. I also have a new MAF on order.

When I took my MAF off, it had a white chalky substance around it. I think this is causing problems too. If you guys have any additional information or imput please let me know.
Old 03-18-08, 05:28 AM
carlmatthe
Rookie

You can say that again. I paid a pretty penny for my B18 swap. See I don't really want 500+ horsepower. All I want is for my Lexus to be reliable. The reason for the motor swap was for more performance and reliability.

For right now I'm going to focus on getting her back running. I think the MAF and ECU is the problem
Old 03-28-08, 07:55 PM
W1d0wMaker
Driver School Candidate

check all of your grounds for corrosion and loose conections, often causes sensors to recieve and send low voltage signals, specialy the o2 sensor, and could cause your battery problem also