Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo EXPERTS, please help me order!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 04:42 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fuel rail is fine well past 500whp. A FPR would be good, and one fuel pump (a Walbro or a TT Supra Denso) will suffice as well.

The headgasket you'll get different answers on. I personally would prefer a TT headgasket setup with TT (or aftermarket with TT compression ratio) pistons, but most people don't want to open up the motor and just put a thicker headgasket on it.

I'm certainly no expert, but I do have an NA-T car.
Old 03-18-08, 05:27 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id rather not mess with the bottom end. So, ...whatever headgasket it takes to achieve a 8.5-8.8 compression ratio?

I wonder whats the compromise between being safe, ...and not lossing to much power?
Old 03-18-08, 05:33 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by TTSC3
Don't get the .68 housing. Iff you use the .68 housing, you'll get a TQ spike, and drastic drop in your torque curve, due to the back pressure from that tiny A/R. The turbo will run out of breath. Get the .84 or above, because with the AEM, you'll be able to dial in the timing map correctly, and end up with a excellent powerband.
interesting...do you have any dyno's showing the difference between .6-.8 a/r exhaust housings? I'm curious to see these differences . Also, what rev limit were you working with to notice your above described anomolies associated with .6 vs .8 exhaust a/r housing size? Thanks in advance.

NAforNow, get the 2.0mm headgasket for 8.5:1 compression.

Last edited by dejacky; 03-18-08 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 05:54 PM
forcefed86
Pole Position

I'd have to say you could get by alot cheaper than the suggestions being made. Although they are very nice parts. Money is always a factor.

If your buying injectors new, buy as large as you can in a hi-Z injector. Although I'm running 550's and was making 480 @ the wheels @ 21lbs with some 110 splashed in the tank. 422hp @ 17 psi with pump gas. A/F's were in the high 10's low 11's.

Now with the meth injection I run 25 lbs through a larger IC and 4" exhaust dump. I'm running a dave H NA-T kit with a te-44 turbo. (pretty much a 60mm .68 housing). Haven't been back to the dyno since but I'm hoping for 500 wheel...

Just a thought If 500 is all your really looking for.

Last edited by forcefed86; 03-18-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 06:00 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

My goal is 550whp. If I can get close to that, Ill be happy. Thats why I say 500-550whp. As stated in my first post, ...I have about a $7500 budget left. I guess I could always spend more.

dejacky, ...who makes/sells that 2mm headgasket?
Old 03-18-08, 06:12 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HKS & GReddy make 2mm HG and Boostlogic makes a 2.5mm. I would also get ARP headstuds.
Old 03-18-08, 06:14 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dejacky
interesting...do you have any dyno's showing the difference between .6-.8 a/r exhaust housings? I'm curious to see these differences . Also, what rev limit were you working with to notice your above described anomolies associated with .6 vs .8 exhaust a/r housing size? Thanks in advance.

NAforNow, get the 2.0mm headgasket for 8.5:1 compression.

I don't have dynos for the same car with swapped housings, but with a 2JZ, and about 7k worth or rpm, when using a turbo that size, you'll get back pressure with a housing that small. I've tuned a bunch of 2J's that run the small housing, and they all did the same thing as described. I think there's a thread on supraforums, where Geoff from Full Race talks about this too. It wasn't too long ago, maybe a week or two ago.
Old 03-19-08, 04:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
I don't have dynos for the same car with swapped housings, but with a 2JZ, and about 7k worth or rpm, when using a turbo that size, you'll get back pressure with a housing that small. I've tuned a bunch of 2J's that run the small housing, and they all did the same thing as described. I think there's a thread on supraforums, where Geoff from Full Race talks about this too. It wasn't too long ago, maybe a week or two ago.
Can that be offset by a larger exhaust diameter? Like a 4" dp for instance?
Old 03-19-08, 05:30 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
Can that be offset by a larger exhaust diameter? Like a 4" dp for instance?
I would imagine it would be offset somewhat but not entirely overcome. Blizzy seems to be the exhaust expert though.
Old 03-19-08, 06:23 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Turns out after talking to Andre (Drewgo) some more,.... I wont have enough room to fit a t67 under the intake piping, with this manifold.

He says I can slightly angle the piping over the turbo, ....but doing that, wouldnt I have alot of heat transfer from that super hot exhaust housing, to my intake pipe? Seems like that would heat the air before it enters the throttle body.

Maybe I just need to use a tt style intake manifold? Or just start with a GTE? I really dont want to do that.
Old 03-20-08, 12:24 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by na4now
Turns out after talking to Andre (Drewgo) some more,.... I wont have enough room to fit a t67 under the intake piping, with this manifold.

He says I can slightly angle the piping over the turbo, ....but doing that, wouldnt I have alot of heat transfer from that super hot exhaust housing, to my intake pipe? Seems like that would heat the air before it enters the throttle body.

Maybe I just need to use a tt style intake manifold? Or just start with a GTE? I really dont want to do that.
You can offset that by using a good quality 4-ply coupler (I have a Vibrant one) and heat wrap. I have a ceramic coated exhaust housing which helps cut down a little bit on it, and black DEI exhaust wrap (looks much better than the tan colored I think). I have the XS Power manifold which is pretty similar I think, and a 67 with a .81 AR exhaust housing.

Old 03-20-08, 12:56 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
He wont reach his 500-550 whp on pump with the .68
You will need a .9x or larger and good luck trying to fit it under the stock intake manifold. You may as well add a ffim to your budget.
This setup alone may not even yield you your hp goal. Look into meth injection or cams to put you over the limit.

Originally Posted by SC4_FI
thats just not true for a 2jz/1jz, it can be done on a .68 or larger housing, and you definatly dont need meth to reach 500whp
Did you even read my post?
Old 03-20-08, 06:02 PM
forcefed86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gunnar
You can offset that by using a good quality 4-ply coupler (I have a Vibrant one) and heat wrap. I have a ceramic coated exhaust housing which helps cut down a little bit on it, and black DEI exhaust wrap (looks much better than the tan colored I think). I have the XS Power manifold which is pretty similar I think, and a 67 with a .81 AR exhaust housing.

Also a turbo blanket can be used to help with heat. I can touch the top of the blanket after a few pulls with my bare hand. Although I'm only running a .68 rear and a dave H manifold.

Old 08-07-08, 09:51 AM
yauser
Rookie

I know it's been a few months already, but I would like to add to this. A .6a/r turbine housing is too small, and you definitely will get into torque spike. I use to run a t04b with a .59 a/r housing, because of people who don't exactly what they were talking about said to do so. Once I switched over to a .81a/r, things started to get better, but at wot it was still spiking a little. Then I tried a .91a/r, and that's where I ended up with. The turbo needs to breath my friend. Fast spooling turbos require a large a/r, while the slow spooling turbos require smaller a/r.