Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blow off valve BOV mounted pic request

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 03:39 PM
Grimmig13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I dare you to try a turbo w/o a BOV, then see what happens after a month or two of driving

With the right turbo you wouldn't hurt a thing. Take the D-sport R33 for example, no BOV on it and it's pushing 1k hp. But, that is on a turbo that is up to the challenge.
Old 04-07-08, 04:47 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Grimmig13
With the right turbo you wouldn't hurt a thing. Take the D-sport R33 for example, no BOV on it and it's pushing 1k hp. But, that is on a turbo that is up to the challenge.
you sure? i just finished watching the video, i thought i heard one (over all the engine noise). If you have a link to prove me wrong, please show me

this is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-bhgvm-Hc
Old 04-07-08, 05:04 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
you sure? i just finished watching the video, i thought i heard one (over all the engine noise). If you have a link to prove me wrong, please show me

this is the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY-bhgvm-Hc
You probly just heard compressor surge most people mistake it for a BOV sound

I personally know a few people who have been daily driving and tracking the same Garret turbo without a BOV for over a year straight now. No shaft play no losses. Could it be i just opened your eyes to one of the greatests tuning myths ever.

hmmmm FAIL for close mindedness.

oh and I ran an Audi A4 k03sport turbo no recirc or BOV for 6 months at 14lbs no issues.

Last edited by TheRonTom3; 04-07-08 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 05:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
I say BAH to blow off valve in general. Compressor surge alone isn't going to kill a turbo (by turbo I don't mean glued together chinese turbos either)
It can wear them out prematurely pretty quickly.

And chinese turbos aren't glued together. The only turbos glued together are done so by devious little Honda shadetree mechanics that broke a turbo due to carelessness, tried to fix it with glue, and then blamed the results on the maker of the turbo.

You'd do well to research the FULL story next time before you claim truth from what you heard from your father's brother's friend's cousin's former roommate.

You probly just heard compressor surge most people mistake it for a BOV sound

I personally know a few people who have been daily driving and tracking the same Garret turbo without a BOV for over a year straight now. No shaft play no losses. Could it be i just opened your eyes to one of the greatests tuning myths ever.

hmmmm FAIL for close mindedness.

oh and I ran an Audi A4 k03sport turbo no recirc or BOV for 6 months at 14lbs no issues.

Its the little chipmunk sound. I know plenty of GNs that run no BOV and drag cars that do since their autos shift so fast that no boost is lost and the throttle is never closed.

For street cars, you WILL wear out your turbo. The excess air in the system HAS to go somewhere. If its not vented it will exit via the turbo. That air moves AGAINST the air the compressor is moving and overcomes it, forcing it to slow down VERY VERY quickly. At the RPMs these turbos are spinning, its a LOT of force being exerted and it must dissipate somehow (mostly due to heat on the load). Eventually the shaft will not take it anymore and something will go wrong; wheels breaking, shafts snapping, etc.

Thats cool your little Audi turbo ran without many issues. Please refrain from doling out advice like that on this forum. We play in the real world with REAL turbos. The forces involved are much greater and so is the amount of money invested. Advice like that will ruin someone's day. Its cool to try and bust a myth, but this one has physics on its side, and you will lose that battle Can't fight the Laws of Inertia.

Last edited by Bean; 04-07-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 05:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimmig13
Epic failure there. The D-sport car is a race car. You got insider info on how many times the turbo has been replaced and how often its driven? Oh thats right, its not a street car.

Wake up people, OEMs put them on stock systems for a reason. There's no POINT for them to do something that just adds weight to only make noise. Its a longevity thing. Just sit and THINK for a second.
Old 04-07-08, 05:50 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

^^ Bean, thank you for ending this, it was about to explode into an all out brawl. I kinda started this, so mods plz accept my apologies for doing so. RonTom, yes what i heard was compression surge ill admit, but my dare was to run the turbo as a daily driver, not a track *****.

Ill stop dueling, and leave this thread in peace....
Old 04-07-08, 06:56 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Allow myself to quote myself

I personally know a few people who have been daily driving and tracking the same Garret turbo without a BOV for over a year straight now. No shaft play no losses.
Talk to people who actually use their cars. I think driving a car for with a "little OEM s15 t28" at 1.1 bar for 3 years and tracking counts for a decent amount of time. People who run this lately are legit. They drift there cars everyweekend in nopi, ASB, Just drift. Do not be so pig headed. I am merely saying running no BOV is fine your turbo is not going to explode in a day like everyone believes. having a turbo last 3 years is more than I could ask.
Old 04-08-08, 04:40 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

having a turbo last 3 years is more than I could ask.
Try a blow off valve.

They might last longer
Old 04-09-08, 02:14 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

In the bumper! The Tial 50mm is a big BOV, and I didn't seem to have any room left under the hood.

Old 04-09-08, 03:23 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't even know why a drift car wouldn't want a BOV. Hey, let's make sure we slow our turbo down violently every time we have to let off the gas! Brilliant!
Old 04-09-08, 04:29 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Allow myself to quote myself

Talk to people who actually use their cars. I think driving a car for with a "little OEM s15 t28" at 1.1 bar for 3 years and tracking counts for a decent amount of time. People who run this lately are legit. They drift there cars everyweekend in nopi, ASB, Just drift. Do not be so pig headed. I am merely saying running no BOV is fine your turbo is not going to explode in a day like everyone believes. having a turbo last 3 years is more than I could ask.
i dunno who you know thats drifting, but when your drifting your constantly on and off the throttle. and doing that will make the turbo blade keep going forward and backwards which is going to kill the turbo!
Old 04-09-08, 05:04 PM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tryk
In the bumper! The Tial 50mm is a big BOV, and I didn't seem to have any room left under the hood.

I put mine under the hood.
Old 04-10-08, 04:32 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DryBlaze
I put mine under the hood.
That means that your turbo is too small and you have too much extra space
Old 04-10-08, 04:37 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tryk
That means that your turbo is too small and you have too much extra space
x2 haha. I can't imagine trying to stuff the bov in my bay. Down by the bumper is nice and easy and it sounds great too