Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone else having problems with Vitek clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 04:02 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else having problems with Vitek clutches?

I asked them for a very drivable model that can handle a little more power such as a mild turbo upgrade that I have plan.

The vitek salesperson recommend the stage 4 (out of 6) straight out as being the best of both worlds. I even offered to buy the more expensive stage 2 full face Kevlar clutch if it was more driveable. He said: "No, the stage 4 is the one you want."

Well, the clutch is hard as hell to engage properly when driving in parking lots, etc. I have had my pedal adjusted and everything and it is still very tricky to engage without either:

A. Taking off like a bat out of hell with a little too many revs.

B. Stalling the engine out with a not quite enough revs.

The clutch is a biotch and I know others have Vitek clutches so I was wondering what other people's experiences were.

This is my 5th car I've owned to have a clutch and the Vitek has been the most diifficult to operate by far.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 02-01-02, 04:20 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same one, need to find sweet spot

I've got the same one in my car. Really enjoy driving her, but unless you hit it just right when taking off, jerkiness can occur.

quite embarrasing at the wrong moments...

Other than that I've really enjoyed the performance increase from the clutch, i'ts definatly not stock
Old 02-04-02, 08:12 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got many of the same issues... The RPS clutch will allow some slippage and has a narrow range of release, but it still chatters... I am able to hold the car on an incline if absolutely necessary, but generally once the clutch starts taking up, it pretty much locks on unless you re-depress the pedal a little bit. The clutch disk is pretty small on the SC300, so you don't have much to work with. Another bad point in the RPS is that mine was never balanced properly, so the engine has a slight wobble that is caused by the imbalanced pressure plate... Kind of like having a wheel imbalance. Not very Lexus like. Also the RPS squeals when its cold out, another bad trait. Last year it slipped at the track many times, To sum it up, its a peice of crap. It has generally held up to around 425-500rwhp worth of street abuse for 30k miles, though.

I'm convinced that a good clutch in this size and capacity is not possible without going to a multi-plate custom $$$$ Tilton clutch. Either that or swap out the Supra TT 6spd. (also $$$)

Sorry.