Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blown HG on a 92 5-spd -- fixing it right

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-08, 10:31 PM
speedrace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,

yeah-- did that too-- when I had the block all the way down to just the pistons and rods-- crankshaft out. I used a pressure washer that pulled de-greaser into the air stream and flushed all the oil galleys out until I saw clear fluid running out of all the oil feed ports to the main bearing saddles.
Old 05-02-08, 11:30 PM
speedrace
Rookie

Default Droppin it back in

Pic is at the beginning of a 3 hr process before we had it sitting on the all the mounts. I should have left that drivers side motor mount off!

Saturday-- is wiring and detail work, but I'm determined to have this car running by Saturday afternoon.

Good thing I took a bunch of pics of the engine bay before I took the engine out. There are a ton of little brackets and vacuum lines, but I used colored sticky page markers to color code what line went where.
Attached Thumbnails Blown HG on a 92 5-spd -- fixing it right-cimg1076.jpg  
Old 05-02-08, 11:44 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

Good idea. Let me know if you need help with anything. If you are close and run into issues I can stop by. If you want I can PM you my number. Time for things to work right! Good Luck.

Ian
Old 05-04-08, 09:48 PM
speedrace
Rookie

Default After 1st test drive of 125 miles -- it runs great!

Just got back from San Jose, about a 125 mile round trip. I kept the revs to 4500 to just let parts "get friendly" with each other. The car runs better than it ever did with the old engine. I can feel the difference with the more solid motor mounts, but it feels just fine. The short throw shifter made an incredible difference, and the car is a lot more fun to run through the gears now.

I went with Royal Purple Syncromax in the gearbox, and this morning drained the Havoline oil and pulled the filter that I had on the rebuild for about a hour of idling time last night. That oil had the combo of Red Line assembly lube, vasoline--from the oil pump pack, and Magic Marvel Mystery Oil--to free up the piston rings and help the valve guides along. It came out dark with only the one hour of run time.

I filled it with Royal Purple 10W30 and fitted a OEM oil filter I bought at the dealer.

The only issue is a noise from the clutch release bearing. I put a new one in with a new pilot bearing and also a new clutch disk. But it sounds like the pressure plate is still lightly contacting the pressure plate fingers even when fully released. I can't remember if the slave cylinder rod has any length adjustment to it. But if it does I may try to shorten it just a tad. The noise immediately goes away when just barely loading the release bearing with the pedal. I am worried that with the release bearing rotating all the time, the life will be shortened a lot.