Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

extending the 1jzgte knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-08, 03:30 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

also if you dont have long enough shrink wrap for the outside wire electrical tape works fine. take your time do it right.
Old 04-22-08, 09:30 PM
blackops
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extend ecu wires? Mess with knock sensor shielding? That's so 2 years ago.

http://www.autosportwiring.com/toyota.htm

$189 plus shipping and you're good to go.

You still need to extend the body plugs 18in, and change the pinouts for the CEL and temp sensor, and bypass the resistor for the tach to work... but that's nothing.
Old 04-22-08, 10:11 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

^^.. wow are you kidding me? Two years ago cherlex was posting about the same wiring. It was posted in this thread already if you READ it. If I have to extend my body harness 18".. WHY DONT I EXTEND THE ECU WIRES AT THE SAME TIME.. instead of wasting $189 because some people are incompetent at soldering/crimping.
Old 04-23-08, 04:19 PM
blackops
Rookie

Originally Posted by joewitafro
^^.. wow are you kidding me? Two years ago cherlex was posting about the same wiring. It was posted in this thread already if you READ it. If I have to extend my body harness 18".. WHY DONT I EXTEND THE ECU WIRES AT THE SAME TIME.. instead of wasting $189 because some people are incompetent at soldering/crimping.
It's your car you can do whatever you want.

You don't even need to extend the ECU wires from a fitment stand point. Using a fields harness makes it nice to wire in piggybacks and other accessories off the car. It's worth it's weight in gold if you ever plan to use any kind of managment.
Old 04-23-08, 05:13 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joewitafro
The ecu will sit as posted by yelloa3gti. It will not reach the stock location but is def not in the engine bay. You will not be able to get the ecu cover back on it. Some people choose to leave it like this than to extend all those wires with the possibly of having electrical gremlins later down the road. I personally try to avoid hacking into the stock harness as much as possible but that's just me.

The harness is available and i think for the small price you pay, it will possibly save you headache down the road and give you room to upgrade as mentioned above. The harness will provide you a perfect place to tap all your electronics and since you can remove it, you can solder/tap the harness in comfort without needing to work from the passenger foot area. If you think $189 is a waste of money then by all means extend each wire .
Old 04-25-08, 08:24 AM
joewitafro
Racer

I swear I posted again, but I guess it never went through. If I have to extend the body plugs on the engine harness 18", how far do I have to extend the ecu plugs to allow the ecu to fit in the factory position?
Old 04-25-08, 08:39 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
The ecu will sit as posted by yelloa3gti. It will not reach the stock location but is def not in the engine bay. You will not be able to get the ecu cover back on it. Some people choose to leave it like this than to extend all those wires with the possibly of having electrical gremlins later down the road. I personally try to avoid hacking into the stock harness as much as possible but that's just me.

The harness is available and i think for the small price you pay, it will possibly save you headache down the road and give you room to upgrade as mentioned above. The harness will provide you a perfect place to tap all your electronics and since you can remove it, you can solder/tap the harness in comfort without needing to work from the passenger foot area. If you think $189 is a waste of money then by all means extend each wire .
exactly !

As for yalloa, you can get offended all you want fact is I didn't call your work half *** YOU DID. I simply stated that some people are more meticulous than others...Some of us rather have the most vital part of the engine safe under the plastic cover/ bolted down and other rather have it hanging
Old 04-25-08, 09:19 AM
joewitafro
Racer

^^ And i'm meticulous. I want people to look at my harness and my ecu placement and my engine and say "damn, is this all stock from lexus?" Thats why I want to know if people extended their engine harness too short, or too far.. etc.
Old 04-25-08, 09:52 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

^^^How woud people see the harness when its under the carper going under the dash.

Goodluck extending .I wasent too concerned about the ecu being in the correct spot .I jus simply made brackets to hold the ecu where it sits.If i wanted to put it in its correct location i would of get a feild harness.

Last edited by sc250tt; 04-25-08 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 11:17 AM
joewitafro
Racer

oh my god. You think a fields harness is ANY better? thats an extra 200 pins that might WIGGLE in the plugs.. Have you thought of that?! I have my supra harness modified, aswell as my brothers being modified with NO problems the last 3 years.

Any one that extended their harness and had "problems".. did it WRONG. End of story.
Old 04-25-08, 03:50 PM
blackops
Rookie

It's pretty hard to not make a 1JZGTE look like it came in the engine bay from the factory, considering mid 90's and eariler SC300's are 2.5GT Soarers 'cept for the whole LHD and 2jzge part.

Ever notice that when you 1JZ swap, the intercooler pipe holes and studs to mount the SMIC are there? I guess if you want to get technical, the SC300/Soarer also share the identical engine bay with the Supra too.
Old 05-25-08, 02:37 AM
RetroMania
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks, for the record, if i was to buy an extended harness, which one am i supposed to buy? the engine harness extension or the the body harness extension, or is there just one type, it seems that a lot of people have their own opinion, and i can't seem to catch the info needed.

and if im not mistaken, im supposed to leave one of the harnesses alone and not extend, im taking a guess that its the body plug harness?
Old 05-26-08, 07:57 AM
joewitafro
Racer

both need to be extended to fit into "factory" positions. ECU plugs and body harness.

Some say u can just extend the body plugs and be fine, but the ECU sits above the factory location and just hangs there.
Old 05-26-08, 08:04 AM
RetroMania
Driver School Candidate

thanks for your feedback!