Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Map ECU2 vs AEM FIC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 12:40 PM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Map ECU2 vs AEM FIC?

Before anyone says search, I already did, and didn't find anything useful.
I have a 99SC300 (vvti, OBD2) than I am going to turbo. I am just trying to find folks who have had experience with this particular setup using either unit. How difficult was your install/setup/tune? How much power are you making? Do you regret getting x unit; if so why?
TIA
Old 04-21-08, 07:37 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had an answere foryou but from what I've seen with many new(er) parts out there, not many people have information on them. You just have to be the one to bite the bullet and go for it or wait a year until someone has posotive or negative experiences. Both sound like great units, probably can't go wrong with either one since they are both proven companies. Best of luck and on a side note, if you go with one of those units, be that guy that posts a usefull write up on thier experience with either management.
Old 04-21-08, 08:37 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread, http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5819 the owner has a 99 sc300 w/ a FIC.

I've read that the FIC is designed to work with OBD2.
Old 04-21-08, 08:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

the FIC is designed to work with 0-5v airflow signals which includes MAP and MAF. The KVF system in OBD1 cars will not work with it.

Its not restricted to OBD2, just MAF or MAP (which are analog signals vs the digital KVF)

Both units, tuning-wise, are pretty close. But the FIC is MUCH cheaper, and the MAPECU2 can do a KVF/MAF to MAP conversion.
Old 04-22-08, 05:30 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sc300STED
Check out this thread, http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5819 the owner has a 99 sc300 w/ a FIC.

I've read that the FIC is designed to work with OBD2.
Yep, I saw that thread, and that is the actual kit I want to go with (will probably change out the moving parts like turbo, WG and BOV). I've also been on myis in the IS300 section, since they are VVTi and OBD2 also. My main concerns in order are being able to pass emissions (we have to get them done every year here or else I'd just go standalone) and reliability; I have no desire or ability to tweak my tune, I just want my car to start and drive around with no or at least minimal weirdness. If it matters, I'm looking for about 350rwhp since I doubt the tranny will hold much more.
Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I am really enjoying my time as a new Lex owner!
Old 04-22-08, 08:59 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

I am an AEM distributor/cert tuner and use a ton of their products everyday on customers' cars, but I am disheartened with the FIC. I was very excited when it came out because we do a lot of non turbo to turbo conversions, and that is what the FIC is designed for. Their way of intercepting the injectors after the ECU is great, as is their idea of adjusting timing by simultaneously delaying the crank/cam sensor input.

However, here are the issues: The two connectors on them are **** poor quality wise. The pins of the first four units I have have fallen out or broken their clips. Two units had wires in the wrong spots in the harness, and AEM didn't have much to say about it other than, "well then switch them". Lastly, two out of four units have had to go back to AEM (customers were not all that excited about that lol their cars sat waiting) for repairs/"upgrades".

Once they get working, which they do as long as your car doens't require an injector kickback signal (like all newer toyota's, scions, etc). In that case, you need to hardwire in two 1amp 50v. diodes to not confuse the FIC. The logging is ok, though the software is very glitchy and the z110. code freezes the unit (which you have to send to AEM to reset).

The map 2 ecu is a lot more expensive, but lets you eliminate the MAF, which is a huge advantage, and is easier to wire and more reliable. We also know that it works on our cars, and the logging is a lot better. It has some limitations and the interface is mediocre, but it works. It lacks the power and resolution of a sophisticated stand alone, which is apparent to sensitive driver, but is very good as piggybacks get.

Ian
Old 04-22-08, 09:14 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Ian, THANK YOU. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I think I had seen you post about the connector quality before, so it is good to get confirmation. That has always been my deal with AEM: great ideas and products, but their QC SUCKS. I personally know of 5 cars killed by defective ECUs, and AFAIK their CDI box STILL doesn't work reliably. So I take it that the map ecu2 would be your choice? I see you are in Cali; can you speak to emissions testing at all?
Thanks,
Kurt
Old 04-24-08, 10:11 AM
talltrini1
Pit Crew

Bump for more info...
Old 05-25-08, 07:20 PM
sleeperSC
Driver

anyone else running one? i was thinking of running one on my 1jz sc300.
Old 05-26-08, 08:45 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Use the map 2. We've had a chance to try the FIC on a few more cars with little luck. Generally, it works very well for adjusting WOT fuel, but causes an amazing amount of stutter/misfire/tip in issues with multiple pulse enrichment injection motors, which most of the newer cars are.

Ian
Old 05-26-08, 04:21 PM
sleeperSC
Driver

the 1jz is obd1. will the fic work on it?
Old 05-26-08, 05:25 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tuner swears by the FIC... I will know soon enough...
Old 09-21-08, 11:59 AM
xtrmboost
Rookie

bump because Im installing a FIC today.
Old 09-21-08, 09:03 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

map ecu2 is better than fic from my experience in all the swaps i've done i'm a tuner and a fabricator as well fic is a pos... if your gonna use aem go the aem ems...... not the fic...
Old 09-22-08, 12:56 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Scrap the whole idea, wait and go stand alone, best choice you can make.

Quick Reply: Map ECU2 vs AEM FIC?