Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coil Pack Inspection and Turbo Blanket FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 07:56 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Pack Inspection and Turbo Blanket FAQ

I noticed last time I had the sc out that the under the hood temps were noticably higher near the turbo, for obvious reasons, and that I was breaking up while in boost around 4.5-6k rpm. It was late in the season so I put the car away and have been searching ever since for the answere to my problem.

For the breaking up I came to conclusions such as; faulty ecu, cracks in coil pack, poor grounding, fuel related, or a mixture of the above. Well I took Aaron's, from driftmotion, advice which was to purchase some 1" heat shrink and apply it to each coil pack shaft. All you do is remove the rubber gromet, cut 1" heat shrink to length, and well.....shrink it. I did this any my breaking up is almost non existant. Now I know I said almost but I was with some people which didn't really allow me to get on it all they way, partly for the embarasment if something were to happen and thier safety. Yes people who drive fast cars can actually care about other law obiding citizens, I didn't want a Nick Bollea case on my hands. I'll test it out tomorrow again and come back with real answeres, on to my next item.

The heat blanket which I had purchased to lower the bay temps was also installed yesterday and it drastically lowered temps in that area. Now some people believe that these blankets can cause premature wear and tear on the turbo itself due to traping the heat. This is debated and not really set it stone, but I guess we will find out. I'm not the only one running one so they can't be that bad, especially with the advancements in turbos now days.

All in all my spelling is probably pretty bad but the info should be able to help someone, or atleast I hope it does.
Old 04-21-08, 08:06 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

rubber gromet at the ingnition packs???
u mean the blue boot???

interesting read
Old 04-21-08, 08:26 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ConSynX
rubber gromet at the ingnition packs???
u mean the blue boot???

interesting read
Yeah the blue boot, glad you enjoyd the post.
Old 04-23-08, 10:00 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat shrink as in what you would use for wiring? That heat shrink? You put in the coil wire? Im a little stumped as to how this would help. Care to provide a little more detail as to just how this works/insulates? Definately interesting.
Old 04-23-08, 10:13 AM
haulin79
Driver

As for the turbo blanket, turbos are designed to run hot. The turbo will be just fine.

What you would want is a turbo timer if you don't have one already. That way there will be a fresh flow of oil through the turbo as it cools down.
Old 04-23-08, 06:40 PM
LSEGHATCH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Heat shrink as in what you would use for wiring? That heat shrink? You put in the coil wire? Im a little stumped as to how this would help. Care to provide a little more detail as to just how this works/insulates? Definately interesting.
Yes, 1" heat tape cut to the length of the plastic coil shaft. What happens with coil packs, on our cars atleast, is the heat from the engine causes the plastic to crack. The crack then allows the spark to stray off into the head of the motor. By adding the heat shrink this contains the spark or keeps it from leaking if you will.

Originally Posted by haulin79
As for the turbo blanket, turbos are designed to run hot. The turbo will be just fine.

What you would want is a turbo timer if you don't have one already. That way there will be a fresh flow of oil through the turbo as it cools down.
Check on the turbo timer, thanks for looking out though.

I forgot to mention that I also replaced two of my coil pack clips due to the white inserts breaking, from heat. This too could of helped my breaking up issue. Took the car out today and did some runs, power band feels almost flawless.
Old 04-28-09, 01:52 PM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great advice, would electrical tape work the same as heat shrink?
Old 04-28-09, 08:45 PM
QwkSC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by romeo291
Great advice, would electrical tape work the same as heat shrink?
Yea except that it won't stick, especially at the temperature in the engine bay. Not to mention the heat shrink SHRINKS in the HOT engine bay. If you only have electrical tape then go dig in between your couch cushions until you come up with 3$ in change. Then head down to radio shack and buy your heat shrink. If you don't have a heat gun then use a hair dryer on it lol
Old 10-21-09, 09:40 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSEGHATCH
The heat blanket which I had purchased to lower the bay temps was also installed yesterday and it drastically lowered temps in that area. Now some people believe that these blankets can cause premature wear and tear on the turbo itself due to traping the heat. This is debated and not really set it stone, but I guess we will find out. I'm not the only one running one so they can't be that bad, especially with the advancements in turbos now days.
Any update on this ??