Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tranny tunnel cutout r154 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 09:39 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Wow.... Your auto d/s is diff than mine..... look at the pictures. You have a bolt section after your carrier bearing, I don't.... very interestin..... I think the easiest solution for me, would be to find me another tail end SC300 auto d/s, take it to a shop, and have them make me a custom one, eliminating the carrier bearing. I would use the front input shaft from the MKIII, and the rear adapter from the auto SC d/s, and have them welded onto a one piece custom driveshaft. Here's a question for you, are you workin with a 2jzgte or ge? Thanks for all your help btw. Really saving me some headache down the road.

Jon

P.S. I never answered your question on the clutch question but yes mine is the max stage 3. Joewitafro is the only negative claim I have seen on the RPS clutch thus far. I think Ima give mine a shot anyway.

I misunderstood your pictures mate, I thought it was all pics of a mkiii driveshaft since, well it looked nothing like my auto driveshaft. What year is your sc, I've heard that some years are just wierd. (I believe the 95-96 are predominantly swappable only to each other, but I don't really know this to be true either).

We have a place here in Texas called Driveshaft King. Offered to make a custom drive shaft for me when they found out my u joints couldn't be replaced. Quoted 222$ !!! I didn't take them up on that offer, but I just might if my "soarer" driveshaft is not the real deal and is the wrong length.

Oh btw, I'm also doin a gte swap at the same time. Doin my own jdm wiring!!! haha check out my local dallas forum post if your interested.

Its not step by step, just progress pics and the like.
http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/...howtopic=98003

I, too, will give the rps a shot. Hopefully that sprung disk helps.
Old 04-29-08, 07:54 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
I misunderstood your pictures mate, I thought it was all pics of a mkiii driveshaft since, well it looked nothing like my auto driveshaft. What year is your sc, I've heard that some years are just wierd. (I believe the 95-96 are predominantly swappable only to each other, but I don't really know this to be true either).

We have a place here in Texas called Driveshaft King. Offered to make a custom drive shaft for me when they found out my u joints couldn't be replaced. Quoted 222$ !!! I didn't take them up on that offer, but I just might if my "soarer" driveshaft is not the real deal and is the wrong length.

Oh btw, I'm also doin a gte swap at the same time. Doin my own jdm wiring!!! haha check out my local dallas forum post if your interested.

Its not step by step, just progress pics and the like.
http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/...howtopic=98003

I, too, will give the rps a shot. Hopefully that sprung disk helps.
Wow 222 bucks. I would jump all over that. Good luck with the swap, mine was already in when I got the car but it was pretty much stock with alot of little things that needed attention. Since then I've singled it and wired in a MAP ECU 2, etc. Good luck with everything.

Jon
Old 05-05-08, 12:00 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Default Idea!

Ok,

So in one of my previous posts, I found out that my extension is too long. The shifter hole of the transimssion will, in theory, be just a bit past the cutout that I made. The swan necked shifter does not help, further extending the actual shifter well past the cutout. So I tracked down blizzy's thread about the oem parts, which I was not aware of when I did the extension, and got the part numbers. BUT

Rumor has it that these parts are discontinued and are not available anymore.
I am going to confirm if this is true, but in the mean time I need to keep my options open. I have a few ideas.

1) Keep cutting the tranny tunnel to accomadate the new shifter location.

2) Redo the whole extension, housing and all, after gettin actual measurments.

3) Install the shifter in reverse... This might help it clear the cutout.

Here is what it looks like.

Before:

After:

I might not do this and go with idea #1. This sorta just looks retarded, but who knows.
Nothing is certain about this, these are just possibilities that I might have to consider.

Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-08, 08:42 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

how much did u extend it? from the parts from blizzy, i think the oe parts were 1.125 inches longer.

i called carson today and the parts are no longer available according to luis.
Old 05-05-08, 10:41 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Going off of the VIPsoarer thread, it is 2.5 inches.

Well, I went through elmhurst toyota and we will see if they can get me anything.
Old 05-06-08, 10:57 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

its 1.125" longer to the center of the shifter, but the soarer shifter throws it another 1.125" or so back more.
Old 05-07-08, 05:03 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

elmhurst only carries US parts. champion said they could order it but i don't think they know that it may be out of stock in japan or they have a different source than carson.

lemmiewink, you could always just head up the shifter itself and bend it where you need it to be. i think i'll be going this route instead of having to modify the 2 parts.