Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bfi V4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 10:06 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bfi V4?

Was looking at the different BFI designs floating around and wondered whether there's still room for improvement. Looks like the basic idea is to get air from under the license plate over to the passenger side (blocking off the driver side), under the headlight and back to the airbox. For this, the "under-headlight-area" is isolated at the bottom. I was thinking that maybe you could get additional air in this area through a hole and a pipe reaching down to the opening next to the fogs. Hope this description makes sense.

I guess if this would provide any benefit, somebody else would have thought of it already. Maybe there's nothing more to gain by adding more air? Or it would create turbulences disturbing the airflow? What do you think?
Old 04-29-08, 08:58 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to build my BFI to draw air just from that area alone. Right from the opening next to the light. I'm planning to have a scoop that partially covers the opening, and takes the air up and into the airbox. I won't be covering the inlet completely, as I still want some air to get through to the brake.
Old 04-29-08, 09:36 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Good question. There are some great diagrams and pix in this thread: Budget Cold air intake

Take a look at my posts beginning at #46, a few others following it. As I said, BFI was no longer an option because of the FMIC.

After two years there is no rust and I have never had a water issue with it even driving during some monster rain on a rare occasion or two.

I think my install could be improved if I got around to installing the great shield that $C300 detailed so well in the thread.
Old 04-30-08, 02:27 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Just buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...042590529&rd=1

Its awesome. Sounds Great. More power. only 80 dollars shipped and showed up in 1.5 days.
Old 04-30-08, 10:15 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^Thats what I used, and it sounds great. Not too sure about performance gains though.
I just used a piece of sheet metal and some heat wrap for a heat shield. It took me 15 minutes to make.
Sorry for the camera phone pics.

Old 04-30-08, 10:19 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just installed the piping from the Injen intake. Stock airbox with drop in K&N.
Old 04-30-08, 10:11 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Gee Tecno, onejay, kysos23, nothing you posted had anything to do with this thread. Posting up a flea bay link for a K&N cone filter. How freakin original, why did any of us think of it?

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
Just buy this... More power. only 80 dollars shipped and showed up in 1.5 days.
Don't start that myth. Got dyno? You wasted $80, glad it make more noise. Any correctly done bfi beats every cone filter.
Old 04-30-08, 11:11 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

i jus did a half *** bfi and it worked great! jus cut the air box, remove the straw its currently breathing thru. Get a k&n drop in filter and viola! more power especially when ect is engaged
Old 05-01-08, 12:47 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Gee Tecno, onejay, kysos23, nothing you posted had anything to do with this thread. Posting up a flea bay link for a K&N cone filter. How freakin original, why did any of us think of it?

Don't start that myth. Got dyno? You wasted $80, glad it make more noise. Any correctly done bfi beats every cone filter.
Yeah, I agree. Good for you that you like your intakes, but let's keep this to the BFI please. Btw, I think it's still the only "system" that has been proven to provide some increase in power and I don't care if there are better sounding / looking intakes out there. I already did BFI 3, minus the eggcups. I'm just wondering if there are any ways to further improve it.
Old 05-01-08, 01:54 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

wasted?!?!?!?!?

How about I didn't want to cut up my stock parts? 1+

How about BFI requires you to buy a K&N filter still for 40-50 dollars? 1+

I didn't have to read up on line or think about it I just removed the stock one and installed the new one in one hour. +1

When I get a turbo I can reuse the filter. +1

flea bay? Ebay is great. I have no idea how much more money I would have wasted on retail. Or how much stuff I would have not been able to sell or would have had to take a lot less money. Ebay even pays for this site to be up with its adds on it.

"Don't start that myth. Got dyno? You wasted $80, glad it make more noise. Any correctly done bfi beats every cone filter."
^ even if this BS were true. How much whp do you think I am loosing over BFI? 0.5 ??? 0.8???? maybe! maybe 1???

The noise one really kicks in after 3.5-4rpm. And its great I love the engine sounds the come from most intakes. Its not even that much louder if any thing I say it "changes the sound" not makes it louder.

This intake is so straight and clean the I have no idea how it would not gain HP over all they wavy rubber tubes.

Last edited by TecnoSmurf; 05-01-08 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-01-08, 02:03 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneJay
^^^Thats what I used, and it sounds great. Not too sure about performance gains though.
I just used a piece of sheet metal and some heat wrap for a heat shield. It took me 15 minutes to make.
Sorry for the camera phone pics.

Looks good man. I was going to rig something like that up if I stay na.
Old 05-01-08, 10:20 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Deez nutz. As far as I know, the only proven power adder on the intake side besides boost was a cracked stock airbox with no filter. The airbox in stock form collects cool air from behind the headlight already. So it's all hogwash is it not? The piping I put on my car makes no more noise or power than the stock setup. It's there to look pretty. I am not using a cone filter either, that's just retarded. While you all flame me for my post, I will go search BFI and look for these amazing results that this awesome set-up produces.
Old 05-01-08, 11:27 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Nice threadjack, thanks
Old 05-01-08, 11:31 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Deez nutz. As far as I know, the only proven power adder on the intake side besides boost was a cracked stock airbox with no filter. The airbox in stock form collects cool air from behind the headlight already. So it's all hogwash is it not? The piping I put on my car makes no more noise or power than the stock setup. It's there to look pretty. I am not using a cone filter either, that's just retarded. While you all flame me for my post, I will go search BFI and look for these amazing results that this awesome set-up produces.
You all need to read this from beginning to end from BFI 1 To BFI 3
http://www.planetsoarer.com/BFIDIY/BFIDIY.html
Old 05-01-08, 11:40 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by supercoupes
Was looking at the different BFI designs floating around and wondered whether there's still room for improvement. Looks like the basic idea is to get air from under the license plate over to the passenger side (blocking off the driver side), under the headlight and back to the airbox. For this, the "under-headlight-area" is isolated at the bottom. I was thinking that maybe you could get additional air in this area through a hole and a pipe reaching down to the opening next to the fogs. Hope this description makes sense.

I guess if this would provide any benefit, somebody else would have thought of it already. Maybe there's nothing more to gain by adding more air? Or it would create turbulences disturbing the airflow? What do you think?
I have built a BFI that scoops from the inlet next to the fog light. I will post some pics if you want once i get around to building the set up a bit nicer. Currently i used what was sitting around the house just to do it cause i was bored. Also i will be removing the stock intake tube behind the mass air to the t body. BFI defiantly does work much better than any cone filter.

Quick Reply: Bfi V4?