Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Should I keep waiting for the EKT headers?
Yes, they should be worth the wait!
20.00%
To hell with EKT, get the SS headers!
26.67%
To hell with EKT, get the Rush headers!
26.67%
Explore other options!?!?
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:08 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Here's the part I'm interested in. Was your card charged for these headers?

Eric
Yes, money has actually moved.

I really don't think I've been scammed though. It's not like Chase has dissapeared, I exchange emails with him often. Also, if you go here http://www.cmfabrications.com/main.sc a physical adress and phone number does exsist. Custom Motor Fabrications is where the money was sent.

Like I said, Chase and Custom Motor Fabrications is acting as a middle man for EK Tuning. When I'm contacted by him, he really seems just as frustrated, if not more, than I am.

And, he has said I could get a refund.

KC
Old 05-06-08, 08:14 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextreme
I tried installing the engine with Tundra headers and it would not fit the bay as Scott stated. The Tundra (2UZ) headers are putting to high unlike SC headers are pointing downward. I had a sample sent to China for reproduction but they had problem making it because the turns are so tight. I think the best bet would be making your own. Twin Turbo Tundra Headers

However, with slight mod the Tundra headers should fit ok.
If I had the time, money, tools, and the knowledge, I'd love to fab up my own headers. It's just not something I could do. Nor, can I afford the cost and down time that would be involved in having someone else do it.

I'd be willing to bet the someone, somewhere makes a set of Tundra headers that would fit the SC400. The problem would be not knowing for sure until the install was attempted. I kind of like these made by SS.. http://www.headermania.com/mm5/merch...Code=TOYTRUCKS minus the y and the cats of course.

KC
Old 05-07-08, 09:57 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

The EKT headers are definitely "pretty" but that one picture is the ONLY evidence I have seen that they do or ever did exist. I would love to here from somebody ANYBODY that has a set. Chase said he had a set on his now wrecked SC but no longer has them

Chase said he knew a few others with a set but never gave any more information about them.

As far as comparing the S&S to the Rush headers I have only discussed the Rush with one person (other than Peter Scott) who actually had them on their car and was told the low RPM performance was softer than stock. Was this the headers alone or the balance of the exhaust or a combination? I cannot answer.

I can say that for a small engine, a 4 liter V8 is small, with MILD cam timing, that the stock exhaust port diameter of 1.35" and the stock exhaust of 1.97" is a very good compromise for a car needing low RPM torque without much effect on peak RPM (6300rpm) horsepower.

I can also say that the stock SC400 manifolds are very poor flowing parts.

So, IMO, the goal should be to improve potential flow without costing drivability and low RPM torque. Since nobody is talking about porting the heads, installing bigger cams, better intake manifolds, more compression, etc the stock port size and flow will not be changed. Keep in mind the stock engine is making about 230hp on 1990-1994 (early) 1uzfe engines. Keep in mind that the 1998+ GS4xx uses better manifolding, head flow, cam timing, compression, etc to make 300hp which is a 70hp increase over the early engines. They also use the SAME 1.97" exhaust pipe diameter and the same exhaust port outlet diameter of 1.35"!!!!

Ask yourself the question: If you can gain 70hp without increasing the exhaust pipe size what would doing so do to the low RPM velocity? Obviously slow it down. Exhaust system velocity decreases the pressure at the exhaust port. Decreasing that velocity actually INCREASES BACKPRESSURE at the exhaut port. This is WHY bigger pipes HURT low RPM torque.

Installing the S&S headers on a 1998+ SC400 allows the cats to be bolted on physically BUT the cats are lower by 1.5" or so decreasing ground clearance. The earlier cats will not bolt on at all. Using a smaller cat in the stock location will allow the S&S to be installed with cats without loosing any ground clearance.

Neither the EKT or Rush headers can be installed with ANY cat in the stock location. This means under car cats or no cats. None of the headers offer tuned pipes. I prefer stainless steel but for any parts made in the USA you are looking at at least $1000 a set. Parts made with "slave" labor in China are another matter and obviously are dirt cheap on eBay. None of those fit the Lexus cars.

The ceramic coated mild steel construction of the S&S is a fair compromise between affordability and function. There will be no "corrosion" unless and until the ceramic comes off (the coating is inside and out). I havent heard of any doing so yet. Any textbook claim of power loss with rusting mild pipes is comparing an optimized race engine. Not a good comparison.

On a postive displacement supercharged engine such as ScotturNot's car bigger pipes will probably not hurt low RPM power since boost is available at low RPM. Centrifugal supercharged engines will loose low RPM power with larger pipes until boost is available (depends on pulley drive setup).

On otherwise fairly stock engines the S&S gains power everywhere, allows cats in the stock location and has the best low RPM performance. That is exactly what they were designed for. None of the choices are emissions legal but the S&S have the only real chance of passing a visual inspection.
Old 05-07-08, 10:48 AM
lao73oi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KC I'm in the same situation as you are. I've tried contracting him via email recently but have't heard from him yet.
Old 05-11-08, 04:44 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lao73oi
KC I'm in the same situation as you are. I've tried contracting him via email recently but have't heard from him yet.
lao73oi (CanYouSeeMe?),

I actually got an update from Chase Thursday. He claims the headers have arrived at the port. He says that it may take a week or two to clear customs, then they need to be delivered to him. From there to you, the other guy that ordered them through the group buy, and me.

Like I said, I've been somewhat in contact with him. I don't know why he answeres my emails, but he usually does eventually.

Also, I really tend to think he is equally frustrated as we are.

KC
Old 05-11-08, 04:55 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

jbrady,

You know more about exhaust design than I likely ever will. So, a few questions for you.

Problems with EKT aside, what do you think about the headers and their design?

What would you reccomend for my setup? Not just the headers, what about the rest of the exhaust system?

I can tell you that I have plenty of low end power. I recently purchased some Supra wheels and put 275's in the rear. Keep in mind I do have a Torsen diff. At the track, with warm tires at a pressure of 18psi and track bite on the track, I can roast the tires. They'll start to spin at around 2000rpm and I can hold the spin all day at 2200prm. This is 600rpm below my stall speed. Low end torque is not a problem, I might actually benefit in losing a little bit.

BTW, I'm not worried about the cats. Once I have headers on, I'll likely see what they'll bring me on ebay or the forum. We do have inspections here but luckily, I am an inspector mechanic.

KC
Old 05-11-08, 06:25 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Well, all this talk really has me questioning my current exhaust system. I may start another thread to get some opinions.
Old 05-11-08, 02:36 PM
lao73oi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
lao73oi (CanYouSeeMe?),

I actually got an update from Chase Thursday. He claims the headers have arrived at the port. He says that it may take a week or two to clear customs, then they need to be delivered to him. From there to you, the other guy that ordered them through the group buy, and me.

Like I said, I've been somewhat in contact with him. I don't know why he answeres my emails, but he usually does eventually.

Also, I really tend to think he is equally frustrated as we are.

KC
That is great news. I'm not sure why he's igorning my emails. Hopefully he keep his word and get us our headers we been waiting so long for
Old 05-11-08, 03:37 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

That is great news. I'm not sure why he's igorning my emails. Hopefully he keep his word and get us our headers we been waiting so long for
I sent him an email last night with a link to this thread, hopefully he'll show up to defend / explain himself some.

KC
Old 05-11-08, 08:08 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well as for me, if he did indeed receive some in stock and just waiting on them to get to him, i'd be willing to buy a set as well, assuming there are spares aside from those that pre-ordered.
Old 05-18-08, 08:16 PM
lao73oi
Driver School Candidate

its been a week now and i still heard from him. have you had any luck contacting him KC?
Old 05-21-08, 09:21 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

its been a week now and i still heard from him. have you had any luck contacting him KC?
Note lately but like I said, it usually takes awhile for him to get back to me. I'll let you know.

KC
Old 05-22-08, 05:06 PM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

I say go with the Rush Headers..
Old 05-22-08, 05:19 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure would be nice to have a sticky on the diff. v-8 headers, their advantages and disadvantages. Pricing and fitment.
Old 05-22-08, 06:58 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in for updates. very interested in ETK, but so far sounds like a scam ( really hope it isn't). My company imports automotive parts all the time, and I know for a fact that it doesn't take 2 weeks to clear customs.

Quick Reply: Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?