Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Should I keep waiting for the EKT headers?
Yes, they should be worth the wait!
20.00%
To hell with EKT, get the SS headers!
26.67%
To hell with EKT, get the Rush headers!
26.67%
Explore other options!?!?
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 08:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?

Need some advice here, a little back ground..

I've been waiting on headers from EKT since July 07. I have paid $858 for them during a group buy on lextreme.com. These are the only "bolt on" headers for the SC400 known to mankind, which is the reason I decided on them in the first place. And, you have to admit, they are sexy. Pic below.

Now all the science of headers aside, these being bolt on are seemingly a good choice. They bolt on replacing the stock manifolds and the front cats. One thing I really like about them is that they should utilize the bracket that attatches to the transmission and the cat converters. This should virtually eliminate any possibility of the headers cracking, since they move 100% with the motor / trans and any stress on the exhaust system would be furthur downstream.

Now, to the science. I don't really know much here. But, anything would be a huge improvement over the stock manifolds, more so with the supercharger. From what I can tell, the main difference between one header design and another is where the power peaks. This to me really means nothing, I'm more worried about the power increase throughout the RPM band. I remember reading (I think, numbers are not exact) that the SS headers only raised peak HP by about 15-20, but gains were much higher where HP and TQ were not at peak. I think all header designs will accomplish the same thing. Please if I'm wrong here, let me know, but I'm not looking to start a header design war.

The other options...The SS headers and the Rush Import headers, both somewhat readily available. I could likely order, obtain and install the SS headers by the end of the month!

So the question is, are the EKT headers worth waiting any longer for? I'm personally at a loss, not sure what to do.

It should be noted that I have been in contact with EKT since July. I do not think I've been "had", I think they are just having some issues getting these things produced. I have also been offered my money back one more than on occasion. I was also told that if I wait for the headers, I could either get some money back for having to wait for so long or I could get a free ypipe. I remember seeing the ypipe on the EKT website, but the sight is no longer up and I cannot remember what it looked like so I don't know if I can even use it.

Any advice welcome.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?-sc4_headers7.jpg  

Last edited by KC95SC400; 05-04-08 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 08:11 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Also, does anyone know if headers designed for the 2UZ will fit the 1UZ heads?

KC
Old 05-04-08, 08:15 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I love the Rush headers! And now they are availible in stainless. I have been considering a set. I currently run S&S with no problems at all, i just like the Rush. I have never seen the EKT's.
Old 05-04-08, 08:16 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Also, does anyone know if headers designed for the 2UZ will fit the 1UZ heads?

KC

I know david tried to install a set of Tundra headers, they would not fit in the SC bay.
Old 05-04-08, 08:19 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Personally, I love the Rush headers! And now they are availible in stainless. I have been considering a set. I currently run S&S with no problems at all, i just like the Rush. I have never seen the EKT's.
Check the 1st post for a pic of the EKT's. You may have missed it, I forgot to upload it when I first posted.

Thanks for the advice BTW. I know Mark (Blizzy) is expecting a set of Rush headers soon. I'm excited to hear what he thinks about them. I also think they would be slightly less of a pain to install compared to the SS headers, since all needed mods to the exhaust system are much further downstream than with the SS headers.

KC
Old 05-04-08, 08:31 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I see them now, they look nice! I like them better than my S&S. The rush look really sweet as well. I think these are really nice but the delivery seems really delayed. I still may get me some Rush, they are offered in two tube sizes too.
Old 05-04-08, 08:42 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm in the market for headers too, i was going to go with EKT as well, assuming that they were in stock and ready to ship. However, knowing that they are having production issues, i'm leaning more towards the rush headers over the S&S. Either way I see it, both would require exhaust modification downstream.

Really wish EKT gets the production going as I'd like to order a set.
Old 05-04-08, 08:57 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Let me just point one thing out. I agree that bolt on is great but that being said, are you really intending to bolt these up to stock exhaust? If you are going to do new exhaust anyway then why does it matter what you go with? The one nice thing you said was being able to bolt up that stock lower mount, other than that you are running new pipes anyway, right?
Old 05-04-08, 09:52 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

For me being in Cali, it would be nice to have it bolt up to the rest of the exhaust to have the rest modified later, so as to keep decibels down as i go over to the exhaust shop. Not to mention, The mid length design is something I prefer, compared to the shorty style or the long style. With the long style as the Rush, I'd have to place the cats pretty far back to the point where it would seem like the headers cats are right next to the third cat. The shorty headers from S&S are great and all, but after reading that they do hang low is a concern of mines seeing as i'm low enough that i scrape parts down there some.
Old 05-04-08, 09:52 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would probably go with the Rush headers, I have also talked to Mark about the headers and waiting for his reply about them. Is there any progress with the EKT headers, do they have a date set yet. I saw them on the group buy on lextreme but decided against them. They look like a nice set and a lot less painful then the S&S. Depends on how long you want to wait, I think the Rush headers are available sometime early summer (June). And only the larger 1 3/4" headers are stainless, the smaller ones are mild steel. I'm sure you have looked at Marks thread with the info.
Old 05-05-08, 11:14 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

I just wanted to chime in since the Rush Headers were mentioned with my name a couple times. I have chosen the 1.75" stainless headers from Neil in Australia. They are scheduled to ship from Down Under when Neil returns from his vacation to America over Memorial Day weekend.

I chose them for the stainless construction primarily, since I read in a text book at the library that the unavoidable corrossion from mild steel headers (even coated mild steel headers like the S&S product) will degrade 2-3% of the power your motor makes from turbulence within the manifolds. In a supercharged application making upwards of 400hp at the crank, 8-12hp loss is not something I am interested in.

The 1.75" headers will push peak torque out very near the redline, amplifying the effects of the centrifugal blower which prefers to make most of its damage deep into the rpm band. The long tube design makes power production before peak torque more easy to come by, which should prevent the car from becoming too "peaky".

While I have been told from a trusted forum member with first hand experience that there exist design inefficiencies in the Rush headers, I am confident that those design inefficiencies would not cost more power than the 8-12hp loss that the mild steel construction of the S&S Headers would be suffering from.

In an n/a application, I think the S&S headers are the optimal headers for the motor with their appropriately sized primary pipe diameter keeping peak torque as close to idle as possible while the shorty design is able to amplify the natural top end pull of the motor. The reports of power increases from the S&S Headers is well documented.

For my application, I chose the Rush headers for the reasons listed above.

--------------------------------

As for KC and his decision...

I would like to hear some public claims made from Chase at EKT about the headers. He has told you a number of times when they will be coming, and every tie he has not come through. I would like to see Chase come out on this forum or Lextreme forums and promise to those who have purchased the headers that they will be in your possession no later than 'X' date. And, if they are not in your possession by 'X' date, then you will receive half of your money back and a guarantee that the headers will be in your possession by 'Y' date. This sale has been going on for almost a year. I think you could have taught yourself to weld and made your own set by now.

I think you, KC, deserve your bolt-on headers that can utilize the stock exhaust supports and prevent you from having to hire a fellow tech to weld up a down pipe fo ryou. There is no doubt that those headers are a very nice design, in theory. It would just be nice if they could venture into the realm of reality and get built.

I have told you before to take your money and run. But, if you truly and genuinely believe that Chase will have your headers for you at some point (and not jump ship with your money completely). Then, I would hold on and wait for them, especially if he has made mention of a rebate for the delay. You are going to be driving your SC for many thousands of miles more. Waiting a couple more weeks is not going to kill you. You deserve to receive the headers that you chose to order. I just wish Chase would come out with a more authoritative statement about when they would be due...a statement with some type of ultimatum associated with it.
Old 05-05-08, 08:41 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
i'm in the market for headers too, i was going to go with EKT as well, assuming that they were in stock and ready to ship. However, knowing that they are having production issues, i'm leaning more towards the rush headers over the S&S. Either way I see it, both would require exhaust modification downstream.

Really wish EKT gets the production going as I'd like to order a set.
From what I understand, Chase is not planning on selling or advertising the headers anymore until he has some in stock. So, depending on when you decide to buy, they might be readily available.

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Let me just point one thing out. I agree that bolt on is great but that being said, are you really intending to bolt these up to stock exhaust? If you are going to do new exhaust anyway then why does it matter what you go with? The one nice thing you said was being able to bolt up that stock lower mount, other than that you are running new pipes anyway, right?
The rest of my exhaust has already been modified from the center cat back. The y between the front cats and where the center cat was is still in place. I have dual pipes going back with an h-pipe in place where the center cat was. I don't really see a need to replace the y-pipe. One of these days, when money allows, I may redo the entire setup, but I think it's adequate for now. Much better than stock anyway.

Blizzy, I'm not going to quote it all, but very well said. I didn't realize you actually liked the EKT headers so much, for some reason I thought you were against them.

Some info on EKT I've learned since ordering the headers. Long story short, Chase actually works / owns (not really sure if he's the owner) at Custom Motor Fabrications. Google and you will find their website. Custom Motor Fabrications is not actually making the headers, they're kind of acting as a middle man of some sort. I mention this because every time I communicate with Chase, he seems to be as, if not more frustrated by the whole thing as I am. This at least gives me a little confidence in him. I don't know how much confidence he has in EKT though.

I'm going to wait for the EKT headers for a bit longer, how much longer, I don't know. I would much rather get them than get a refund and then have to decide between the SS and the Rush. It's starting to get to the point where I don't really care, I just want some damn headers on the car. I imagine the power difference would be huge.

KC
Old 05-06-08, 08:53 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rush Headers...
Old 05-06-08, 10:31 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried installing the engine with Tundra headers and it would not fit the bay as Scott stated. The Tundra (2UZ) headers are putting to high unlike SC headers are pointing downward. I had a sample sent to China for reproduction but they had problem making it because the turns are so tight. I think the best bet would be making your own. Twin Turbo Tundra Headers

However, with slight mod the Tundra headers should fit ok.

Last edited by Lextreme; 05-06-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 11:50 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by KC95SC400

I've been waiting on headers from EKT since July 07. I have paid $858 for them during a group buy on lextreme.com.
Here's the part I'm interested in. Was your card charged for these headers?

Eric

Quick Reply: Poll: Should I keep waiting on the EKT headers?