Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

na build

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-08, 12:18 AM
sc310hp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default na build

Well i just bought a 92' sc300 with 90k a newer motor installed in it. I bought it and inteded it to be a daily driver but ive gotten an urge to see how much power i can get out of the motor n/a since ive seen that almost everyone goes n/a-t or swapped. So far i have a cat back exhaust system installed and im about to order a set of headers from http://www.erzperformance.com/produc...ductCode=obx10 i dont know how good they are cuz they seem cheaper than most and ive heard that obx isnt great on fitment but ill see. But anyways to my questions, i was wondering what the most hp anyone has got n/a and what all upgrades they are running. Im going to shoot for 310 wheel horsepower hence my name lol.... So if any of the na guys could help me out that would be great. im going to put up some pics tomorrow of the car. Any information is greatly appricated and welcome.

thanks tully.
Old 05-07-08, 01:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

imo and from experience, for the cost of building a high hp na you might as well boost the na..it will cost close to the same, and yield higher numbers in the end.
Old 05-07-08, 06:40 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in all honesty its not worth it. if you want a quality built motor you will pay a pretty penny to do so. are you doing this yourself or are you having a machine shop do all the engine work and deliver a whole motor.

having worked at a shop building racing engines i can tell you that it is not cheap at all. a fully built racing engine like a 4ag for toyota atlantic cars would run you about 35k complete. you can find them used for about 8ish.

NA power is very expensive if it is done right.

if you know what you are doing and putting the engine together yourself then it is cheaper.

what are your cars goals? daily driving or tracking? autocross?
what is your budget? (most important for NA build)

what do you plan to do as far as engine parts? what do you want to replace?

for a daily driven car that has no sanctioning body telling it what modifications you can or cannot do it is a lot cheaper to do an NA-T built. im personally not a big fan of then. i would rather do a 1.5jz but even that will be cheaper then building a 310whp car.

310whp is around 350ish at the crank.
Old 05-07-08, 07:47 AM
sc310hp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be doing most of the work my self, i have a guy who does the heads for our super comp dragster but other than that i do all the work myself. The car is going to be a daily driver. As far as parts go i was kind of hoping someone would be able to tell me what there na made and their parts so i would know how far to take it to reach 310hp. But just from my knowledge i plan on the obvious bolt ons, Intake, Exhaust(done), Igniton(msd 7al-2), Ignition componets wires plugs ect...., pulley kit, remove ac, electric fan conversion, Then once all the bolt ons are done im going to put it on the dyno and see where i got to go from there as far as my head work and internals since i dont really have anything to go from as far as what these motors make with just bolt ons. Once i get my dyno numbers then i will take my head to my guy and depending on how much i get out of the bolts ons, will depend on what i have him do. But im sure im going to have to run the most extreme cams to get my hp numbers and get adjustable cam gears, then its time to upgrade my ecu not sure what im going to go with for this motor so im going to have to research that or if u guys could help me out there that would be sweet. Then it is another trip to the dyno for a tune and see if im close to my hp goal. As far as budget goes im lookin to stay under 4g's and hopefully get my hp numbers by the end of summer so she can go under for paint this winter.
Old 05-07-08, 08:02 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you really want to go the NA route, i would use ITB's, up the compression, fuel system, exhaust, engine manage. sys., built head, and if all possible stroke the engine.

I have seen some really sick NA Supra's, but for the cost they put into building the na to get decent HP, they could have easily made 600+ whp for the cost of going na..
Old 05-07-08, 08:23 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in all honesty i dont think you realize what you are getting yourself into. 4 grand is enough if you can do all the work yourself. from machining to assembly. and also get some awesome price deals from people. i would also suggest going ITB on it.

going with agressive cams will help with the breathing of the motor but the problem is that most cams on the market are turbo cams for the 2jz. you will definitely need to get adjustible cam gears and then degree the cams. with most turbo cams you dont have a lot of overlap and the cam lobe center is delayed. NA cams can be the same lift and duration as a turbo cam but it willhave to be setup differently as far as timing. you can take a set of turbo cams and use cam gears and degree them in. at that pioint you can get the adequite cam lobe center wrt to the crank that you are looking for BUT the lobe separation and overlap will most likely be off.

agressive cams will push your power band higher in the rpm range so for a daily driver it will not be practical.

lets just put it this way...you CAN do all that work and get 310whp NA and you will probably spend more then 4 grand but in the end it will be a street car that will still get eaten alive by a 200hp civic. our cars are really heavy so the NA power you are trying to get is going to have absolutely no torque down low.

you will probably need to run compression in the range of 11.5-13:1 i think.

btw crazy cams on NA cars suck. i have build toyota atlantic 4ag's that made 240hp but they didnt make any power under 4000rpm. they revved 10000rpm but that motor would be useless around town.

if you want about 300ish whp and daily drive the car then just either put together your own NA-T kit or buy one. it will be cheaper in the long run and more piece of mind for you.

i would love an NA2jz with itb's BUT in a lighter chassis. or you can strip the **** out of your car

i got some TRD ITB's that you can make work

actually i got 4 sets