Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharging a 96+ SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 07:52 AM
paulwd
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really want to supercharge your sc400, go with the Eaton for ease of fitting and kits are available. There will be some mods but they are simple ones.
I went with a twin screw Whipple an a motor that has over 300,000 kilometers on it, drives like a dream. My boost gauge shows 8lb easy and peeks at 10lb.
I am getting 311 hp at the wheels on stock ECU, standard injectors, a rising rate fuel reg, rebuilt trans with a shift kit, standard converter and a good exhaust.
What I really need is a good piggy back to control timing and fuel and that figure will improve significantly.
Go with an m90 and you cant go wrong, you just have to look at Scotts to see what can be done, and like Twizted said should have been done at the factory.
Old 05-11-08, 07:28 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, looks like I'm late to the show! I really cant say much here that has not been covered. If you still have questions I will try to anwser them.

On a seperate note; If you do decide to do it and come into the market looking for a good piggyback, look me up. I have one that is preconfigured for a SC400 OBDII and will make you a deal on it. Have all the software, and wireing diagrams simple to hook up and read to run. Currently it is pre configured to run transparent so its a plug and play deal, you can start tuning from there. PM me if you are interested. Later this winter, I may be selling a Eaton M90 flowed by magnum.
Old 05-12-08, 03:47 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm probably not going to supercharge my car anytime soon. Maybe within the next year at least; I've got to save up the money first. I've been thinking about it more and I actually don't think I'd mind running a lower boost (probably 5-6 psi) with the power hitting later in the rev, that way I'm not guzzling fuel when under normal acceleration or cruising on the highway. I'm probably going to upgrade to a higher stall TC anyways before I go for the S/C, so that will help with low-end power. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-12-08, 08:26 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

A few things I'd like to throw in here, although much has been covered.

1. With my V-9, I can smoke a pair of (LSD) 275's at 2200rpm. I have plenty of low end power. My stall speed is 2800rpm BTW.

2. Every form of FI has advantages and dis-advantages. As far as ease of install and low cost, I think most people here would agree that I have the least amount of money and time put into my setup.

3. Without the intercooler, I can make 10+ psi. With it I only make around 8psi. BUT on the dyno I made the same power with less boost with the intercooler. Without the intercooler, my intake temps were 180 degrees by the time I got off the dyno on a 70 degree day. With the intercooler, my intake temps were 99 degrees at the end of the session on a different 70 degree day. Seems like easy math to me.

4. My best time as of yet on an 1/8 mile track is 8.795. This puts me in the 13.6 range in the quarter. I cannot launch without spin unless I launch like my grandma would. even with the 275's.

5. As far as what any given rods can take, there are way too many factors to be able to say how much boost can be safely made. I think a hp number is probably a more accurate way to look at it. I've heard stories of engines being pushed way beyond what they "should" be able to take. Tuning is the key.

KC
Old 05-15-08, 07:35 AM
Brendon
Pole Position

Does anyone know of any TRD superchargers that would work with our SC400s? Did TRD make a supercharger for the Tundra V8?
Old 05-15-08, 07:56 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendon
Does anyone know of any TRD superchargers that would work with our SC400s? Did TRD make a supercharger for the Tundra V8?

In a nut shell no, with enough grinding and welding it will like anything...
Old 05-15-08, 01:38 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

So what's everyone's opinions on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porte...m280227264254&
It's being sold buy a guy on eBay for $700. Is that a good deal, and will it work well with our cars? I was originally looking at M90 (as several of you suggested), but came across this one. Is the newer Eaton SC better? What's the main difference? Also, what will I need to make it work on my car? pulleys, remapping, etc?
Old 05-15-08, 01:42 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

head on over the lextreme.com, he is a member here and recently tried this. There are plenty of pics to go along with the info. It will take a lot of fabrication!
Old 05-15-08, 01:49 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what's everyone's opinions on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porte...m280227264254&
It's being sold buy a guy on eBay for $700. Is that a good deal, and will it work well with our cars? I was originally looking at M90 (as several of you suggested), but came across this one. Is the newer Eaton SC better? What's the main difference? Also, what will I need to make it work on my car? pulleys, remapping, etc?
That guy on ebay is good i got a m90 from him, the m112 however will not work. Its to tall and long, you would have to buy a richwood manifold and actually machine the charger down in ever direction. Thats what im currently doing with the one i bought from lextreme, but it requires alot of machining!
Old 05-15-08, 03:00 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

When I talk about making my car faster to my friends at work they tell me "if you want a faster car, just buy one". It annoys me; there isn't a single car I would want more than my SC400. I think its the most beautifully designed car; it deserves to be much faster (I think it looks fast). Yeah 3600 lbs is heavy, but not really compared to the other high performance sports cars out there today:

Infiniti G37 = 3616-3668 lbs
BMW 335i coupe = 3759-3770 lbs
Audi S4/RS4 = 3869-3957 lbs
Audi S5 = 3593 lbs
Lexus IS-F = 3780 lbs
With 6 psi on the SC400, you can smoke the Infinity G37, BMW 335i. I don't know about the Audi, and of course not the IS-F. I boost my SC at 6 psi and smoked the G37 and 335i easily. My car is 95 SC400 with a single turbo.
Old 05-15-08, 04:09 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
With 6 psi on the SC400, you can smoke the Infinity G37, BMW 335i. I don't know about the Audi, and of course not the IS-F. I boost my SC at 6 psi and smoked the G37 and 335i easily. My car is 95 SC400 with a single turbo.

Well now turbo is a whole different ball of wax...

Blizzy, KC, Scott, Steve, all have great set ups!! All are unique, and worth the time, effort, energy, money, heart and soul that each one of them put into their cars to get them going. I love the SC's, but I still prefer TT's more...But the TT SC400 is indeed a complicated beast to build...

I find it interesting for one to refer to sub 4 second and sub 5 second 0-60 times as not that fast. For a Street car, that is pretty damned quick. Most cars will not touch any speed below 5.5 seconds. Come on, it takes some engineering to get down to those times.

I do agree, it is easy to buy a rather quick car today, as long as one has the cash and the credit, but I still prefer to personalize my car and make it unique. Obviuosly, there are several of us on the forums that do. What fun it is...
Ryan
Old 05-15-08, 05:34 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
I find it interesting for one to refer to sub 4 second and sub 5 second 0-60 times as not that fast. For a Street car, that is pretty damned quick. Most cars will not touch any speed below 5.5 seconds. Come on, it takes some engineering to get down to those times.
I guess I really depends on what you're going for. My aim/motivation is to finish my SC400's image as a sexy sports car. It's already got the looks, the luxury, and the V8 exhaust. I'm upgrading the rims to 18" very soon. Now all that's left is the performance. 350 HP at the crank and 0-60 in 5 secs completes the image. It brings it up to par with (and even slightly above) the luxury sports cars today.

Now on the otherhand, if I tuned my SC to make 1000 HP and go 0-60 in under 2 secs, that would ruin it. Most women and my friends would look at that as being just overkill. Don't get me wrong, I love it that some of you guys tune your SC300s and SC400s to the extreme, but that's not really the angle I'm going for.

Anyways, thanks for the info twizted. I'm checking on eBay about those Eaton M90's. They're actually pretty cheap which is a good thing (I hope).
Old 05-16-08, 12:59 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are on a budget (both KC and myself are), I would favor the centrifugal supercharger setup using the Lextreme "Fish" bracket.

While you can get an M90 for less than half of a centrifugal supercharger, the bracket to mount the M90 costs ~10 times what the Lextreme bracket does (~$200).

I think the M90 is a sweet set up. It makes the engine sound like it is a piece of brilliant alien engineering, almost like a spaceship (in my opinion). However, there is no doubt that centrifugal supercharger set up works (KC can rip 4.6s 0-60 times) and it is relatively inexpensive (~$3k with a budget minded build).

KC and I both are on a budget, and we have chosen to go with centrifugal superchargers. That should tell you something right there. Scott, Paul, Twizted, and Ryan have WAY more disposable income than we do, and their set ups reflect that.

I got my centrifugal supercharger for all of $700 (with lots of searching), and it should be able to blow up the motor if I gave the motor enough boost. It will be plenty to get me down the road faster than a G37 or a 335i.
Old 05-16-08, 01:05 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blizzy
If you are on a budget (both KC and myself are), I would favor the centrifugal supercharger setup using the Lextreme "Fish" bracket.

While you can get an M90 for less than half of a centrifugal supercharger, the bracket to mount the M90 costs ~10 times what the Lextreme bracket does (~$200).

I think the M90 is a sweet set up. It makes the engine sound like it is a piece of brilliant alien engineering, almost like a spaceship (in my opinion). However, there is no doubt that centrifugal supercharger set up works (KC can rip 4.6s 0-60 times) and it is relatively inexpensive (~$3k with a budget minded build).

KC and I both are on a budget, and we have chosen to go with centrifugal superchargers. That should tell you something right there. Scott, Paul, Twizted, and Ryan have WAY more disposable income than we do, and their set ups reflect that.

I got my centrifugal supercharger for all of $700 (with lots of searching), and it should be able to blow up the motor if I gave the motor enough boost. It will be plenty to get me down the road faster than a G37 or a 335i.
Blizzy Lextreme seems to be down right now, can you tell me how you adjust the tension with the Fish in order to accomodate different size pulleys?
Old 05-16-08, 01:36 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

A few people have built adjustable tensioners for that problem. I think KC on here did that. Check out his build thread on here about halfway through.

Quick Reply: Supercharging a 96+ SC400