Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

STS Turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08 | 05:45 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Benefits of STS Remote-Mounted Turbochargers

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability.

So can a turbo system in the bay

Performance Sound. The turbo acts as a muffler and sounds like an aftermarket performance muffler. Turbo spool and rushing air from the blow-off valve make a unique sound that will turn heads!
Sounds like a sales pitch to rich 60 yr old man that doesn't know jack about performance. Flowmaster has better sales techniques to buttstang boys, thats sad.

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts.
I never knew that they made so many additional mounts for all that plumbing underneath your vehicle.....

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage compared to their original stock mpg numbers.
"wasted energy"?????? The reason customers may get better mileage is the tune, it has absolutly nothing to do with a rear mount turbo system, superchargers are wayy more gas mileage friendly.

Lower underhood temperatures. No need to worry about melting wires, hoses, or other components.
Alright Ill give em that one, but it is really easy to counter in the bay with some heat wrapping and insulation around wires.

Converts back to stock in about an hour.
So it takes 8 hrs to install, and only an hour to uninstall? wow I have to get me some of that.

More room under the hood. Future repair work or modifications will not require the expense of removing the turbo system to allow access to engine components.
Taking a turbo off takes like 2 minutes

Cooler oil to the turbo. Cool oil is better for both the turbo and engine.How in the world is the oil any cooler when your turbo is mounted in the rear? If they mean that there is less heat in the engine bay, ceramic coating is the answer to that.

Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage.
This is true, and an actual valid point, the first one, lol.

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.
what a line of bull #$%^, the exhaust gases are definately not denser. The travel path for heat is 10 times as long and heat has 10 times the chance to dissipate before reaching the turbine housing.

Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler.
On half the vehicles they show, there is an FMIC installed, that is just hilarious.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.
Well, seeing as how turbos are designed to run at a few thousand degrees, I guess this is kind of irrelevant.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.
Yeah just their bending over price for all this B.S. t hey are feeding you.

Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.
A well desinged manifold takes care of this problem

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.
well all of that depends on the weight in the first place doesnt it?

Less noise in the passenger compartment.
Gay.

Rear mount turbos have been around awhile, the technology isn't really all that new and amazing as they try and make it sound. One thing to keep in mind, they make a remark and show a picture of how turbos mounted in the bay get very hot and then they claim its hazardous and you dont want this by your feet, that kind of made me laugh just a little. If you think about it, heat is a turbos best friend. Heat=energy, energy=spool. By the time all those exhaust gasses have reached the turbo, they have already dissipated a large amount of heat and energy, unless you want to ceramic coat the entire exhaust. What I am getting at is there is a reason turbos are mounted so close after the head, they are designed around and specifically made for heat. On top of that as Gofast said plumbing would be terrible, talk about a decrease in efficiency, by the time all that boost has reached your intake manifold I think it would be interesting to see how much psi loss there is. I'm not really for or against them, and I'm always a big supporter of advancing forced induction, but I think most of their "advantages" are just really weak sales pitches.
Old 05-15-08 | 07:24 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MotoSC
But on my sc if i didn't want to go TT just single where would i effectively do so? I looks like i would HAVE to go TT.
Dual exhaust to a Y pipe at the rear and hang one turbo off of that... you would not HAVE to run a TT setup.

Like I said before, there's really nothing to "wonder" if this would work - plenty of cars running this setup, plenty making big power, plenty running good times.

Rear Mounted...he runs twins now, but use to run one large single mounted out back

http://www.corvettemajor.com/gallery...ls.php?album=5
Old 05-15-08 | 09:58 AM
qksl2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 88supramki
^^

anything other than pretty directly off the motor is remote. On the NSX it's back by the rear wheels, still pretty remote on a mid engine vehicle.
The last NSX I turbocharged put the turbo where the stock muffler was. Unlike most kits, we didn't use the stock manifolds and build up pipes. That was years ago on a 3.0 5sp. Its was the obvious place to mount the turbo. Now its commonplace.

Ian
Old 05-15-08 | 11:52 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Whats funny is the NSXprime members don't mind shelling out retarded money turbokits of such simplicity. Friggin sheep.
Old 05-15-08 | 03:18 PM
qksl2
Pole Position

They don't have many options. The lovefab stuff is pretty and fits well, and yeah, he's making a killing but why not? They'll pay good for him!

Ian
Old 05-15-08 | 09:42 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

there are a lot of kits that use the muffler area; I've seen about 3 or 4 of them that did it.

The thing is, they bash XSPower products with reckless abandon even when their $15000 turbokit is basically an exhaust pipe with a turbo attached to it.
Old 05-15-08 | 11:09 PM
boostedsc
Driver School Candidate

I installed a few kits on camaros and trans ams. i also had the sts kit on my trans am. i never had a problem with the oil lines and boost leaks are easy to locate if u have a compressor. we made our own leak detector using a 4 in pvc pipe cap and air fitting. this would go on the turbo. also being careful of over pressurizing the system. i had a 70mm turbo on my kit with a big boost cam, the only problem i had was LAG but top end was pretty damn good. choose turbos wisely, i prefer front mount but for the fittment and rarety i would probably go ahead and do it. sounds like a awesome project. i would like to see a ls1 sc300/400 with twin sts style turbos. look around alot of people are even building there own remote kits.
Old 05-16-08 | 06:32 AM
MotoSC
Driver

My problem is I'm new to turboing and don't really know all my option's. Having the V8 also makes it harder from what i've read due to the limited amount of turbo's that will work with it. So what other option's do i have and what are the cost differences?
Old 08-17-08 | 07:15 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap
CL Folding 25,000

It's namely location constraints. Look at Ryan's (SC400TT) setup and the manifold design with downpipe design. That's about as efficient as you're gonna get and it's easy to see how tight it gets.

According to their website, they had specially designed exhaust housings that make use of the exhaust gases at lower temperatures and velocities. Don't know how much of it is bunk, but sounds interesting enough. I'd need to actually have a look at one to see if they changed anything though.
Old 09-14-08 | 07:27 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MotoSC
My problem is I'm new to turboing and don't really know all my option's. Having the V8 also makes it harder from what i've read due to the limited amount of turbo's that will work with it. So what other option's do i have and what are the cost differences?
Maybe you should just supercharge? I know where you could get a true bolt-on simple kit

Actually the rear mount would be easier than up front for sure.
Old 09-15-08 | 06:31 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -MILTDOG-
Doesn't Emerald have one on her sc?
milt im pretty sure she does.
Old 09-15-08 | 06:41 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Biggu
Yes she does, in a few photos of here car you can see it hagning down, there is not a lot of room in the rear of the SC either.
Old 09-15-08 | 09:32 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biggu
Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Yes she does, in a few photos of here car you can see it hagning down, there is not a lot of room in the rear of the SC either.
I believe hes is not a rear mount, but a low mount. I believe it is located on the driver side in the tunnel aread where the cat was. I believe she had to modify the tranny tunnel to fit the small turbo...But, I could be wrong...

Ryan
Old 09-15-08 | 10:24 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

I could be wrong but the heat wrap leads me to think its in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails STS Turbos?-l_0dd4b3766dda8065d1d32ff0f1ad508e.jpg  
Old 09-15-08 | 10:25 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another, Em please chime in and set us all straight.
Attached Thumbnails STS Turbos?-l_6519c638694f2292541cebe1a664cda1.jpg  

Quick Reply: STS Turbos?