Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i need help quick please!...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-08, 03:12 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default i need help quick please!...

today when i turned on my ac.. my whole ac heater unit would shut off.. because the fuse had blown.. i changed it out. turn it on again.. the fuse blows again.. it only blows when the ac compressor is on.. i tried the heater it works fine.. but as soon as i turn on the ac.. it would blow the fuse.. anyone know why?... i searched but only came across blinking lights .. not blown fuses..
Old 05-14-08, 04:57 PM
RedSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try adding a bigger fuse.
Old 05-14-08, 05:00 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think adding a bigger fuse might just do it, try it out let us know what happens...
Old 05-14-08, 05:45 PM
Steelwheel
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a larger fuse than what is normal can risk damage and cause fires. I would not increase the fuse size. I would try to narrow down exactly what is causing the fuse to blow.

Try running the vent blower on high without the AC running and make sure it is not the blower blowing the fuse. Also try different things without the AC running.

If you can't get the fuse to blow without the AC running, then run the blower on low and see if it blows when blower is on low, then switch it around. You get the picture.

If in the end it only blows when the AC is running, then you may have a short in the AC control circuit. Time to pull out the electrical prints and trace down the issue with someone that knows electrical troubleshooting.

Having 22 years of experience troubleshooting electrical problems, this is how I would do it, but someone here may know something common to check or swap that could definitely help you shortcut the troubleshooting routine.

It is a big no-no to first increase the fuse size (above what is recommended). However, it is okay to increase the fuse size if you modify a system with larger power requirements and provided the proper wiring for a larger fuse.

Good luck!

Tim

Last edited by Steelwheel; 05-14-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-14-08, 10:12 PM
tuterz
Racer

it only blows with the ac compressor turns on... turning heat on full blast.. or cold air full blast as long as i dont hit the ac button.. it doesnt blow.. a mechanic tells me its my ac compressor .. he says.. there is a short there.. when the clutch kicks in.. it shorts out.. and blows the fuse..
Old 05-14-08, 10:16 PM
tuterz
Racer

he said something about the coils that make the compressor turn.. is worn out.. and.. is causing a short... does that make sense?
Old 05-15-08, 03:50 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try disconnecting a particular part of the a/c and then turn it on to see what happens and keep doing that until you are left with nothing and if that still happends then it could be your a/c button. Thats what i would do but im not sure if it'd work.
Old 05-15-08, 08:38 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuterz
he said something about the coils that make the compressor turn.. is worn out.. and.. is causing a short... does that make sense?
Sounds about right to me. Something similar happened in one of my Acuras a few years back. I bought another compressor from the junkyard for cheap, problem solved.
Old 05-15-08, 11:06 AM
thegadget
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, don't put a bigger fuse in there, unless, you want an insurance claim.. It will create a fire... That is the purpose of a fuse.. To save your car or life incase of a short. Steelwheel is 100% corrrect. It will cause the wire to melt, catching the insulation on fire... Add gas, and oil, ... Not good... They do make a timed breaker for cars. It might save you a little $ if you get one, and just keep watching it, see if it trips. It will automatically reset itself after 30 secs or so..
Old 05-28-08, 11:29 PM
tuterz
Racer

problem resolved.. the a/c compressor assembly was bad.. when the a/c compressor kicked on.. i guess my mechanic said.. it was wearing out where the wire coils is.. and when the a/c kicks on.. the wire will touch a ground... and shorts out.. .. bought an ebay compressor from bloomfield compressors... for a lil under 200 bucks.. and 50 bucks to install it from my mechanic and problem solved..