Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 headers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 10:53 PM
007lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 headers???

hey guys,
just wondering if anyone has looked into headers for our cars? Or if anyone have done them?
Old 02-12-02, 04:52 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone have a list of vendors that carry these? I'm curious.

Thanks,
Keith
Old 02-12-02, 09:49 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. A guy in AU named Terry makes nice headers for the 1UZ, he sells them under the name 'Tex's Headers' and another company called Powertech makes a set, also in AU, I have pics somewhere, i'll send them to you guys if I can find them. Despite what some may tell you, though, the oe headers are really not too bad. I was going to import a set, but I thought I might have Kooks fabricate a set for me, I figure if they can master the pulse scavenging necessary for a 9sec car, they can definitely handle headers for my slow as molasses SC.
Old 02-12-02, 11:18 AM
007lexus
Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Yeah. A guy in AU named Terry makes nice headers for the 1UZ, he sells them under the name 'Tex's Headers' and another company called Powertech makes a set, also in AU, I have pics somewhere, i'll send them to you guys if I can find them. Despite what some may tell you, though, the oe headers are really not too bad. I was going to import a set, but I thought I might have Kooks fabricate a set for me, I figure if they can master the pulse scavenging necessary for a 9sec car, they can definitely handle headers for my slow as molasses SC.
Hey Lex,
Is the design of our sc4 headers more restrictive then after market performance headers? So it sounds like no has done a header upgrade on their sc??? Has anyone looked into this and found that the gain not worth the $$$?
How much does it cost to have your place 'kooks' fabricate a set and whats the HP gain?
Old 02-12-02, 03:05 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

007, the factory headers are not bad at all, there is of course plenty of room for improvement, especially if you're moving more mixture, you'll have an increased need to expel it. For a stock SC4, i'd say 10-15 horses would be reasonable, I spoke to some guys that told me 25hp (these are of course the same gentlemen trying to sell me the headers) and I will be very glad to believe it, once I see a dyno sheet or a timeslip. Then again, we put a set of custom headers and y-pipe on a worked F-body a few years ago, and it picked up .7 sec at Englishtown, we couldn't believe it, talk about bottled up, that's 50-70hp from that change alone. We will never see gains like that on a 1UZ short of a blower, nitrous, or displacement increase, unfortunately. To answer your next question, i've been told the C's headers are inferior to the oe design, the other two sets I saw from the Australians (one was tri-Y, one was 4-into-1 if I remember) looked very nice, one was already HPC-coated. I haven't spoken to Kooks yet, not sure if that's the quickest way to hp, but I assure you you'll know when I do.
Attached Thumbnails sc400 headers???-compressed-stock-1uz-fe-headers.jpg  
Old 02-12-02, 04:06 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The factory exhaust is one of the best I've seen this side of Italy,and will probably last longer anyways.
The point where the downpipes Y together utilizes a slight crimp as an equilizing/anti-reversion feature to give smoother running,extraction,also located at a tuned length from the engine.
Unless you change the cams or increase the compression,you'll only be looking at very marginal gains,but hey,it's your $.
Old 02-12-02, 08:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Agreed then, love that stainless exhaust.
Old 02-13-02, 06:25 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Pictures of the headers made in Australia can be found on the "Extractor" page on my website (go down to "other peoples good stuff" and "Soarer V8 Extractors").
You can also read what Aaron thought of them on the LSOC forum - do a forum search for "extractor" in the subject line.