Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

delete mufflers or resanators

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 12:09 PM
KORUPT8D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta say, I removed my resonators after the Y and my car sounds like an FX45. That sound is sexxy..., when i turn on the car it sounds like a Muscle car idling, VVBOM VVBOM VVBOM VVBOM I am a little worried about removing the mufflers though. Wouldnt there be issues with inspection?

I want to remove all the resonators and the middle cat and leave the two cats and the mufflers, what do you guys think?
Old 05-27-08, 01:05 PM
Knightridr
Pole Position

So I want to get this straight for performance cut the center cat and for sound cut the res? Thanks in advance

Chris
Old 05-27-08, 04:46 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

hows the interior noise guys with no mufflers and no resonators. I deleted my cat the other week. noticed it was a little better in the higher rpms but not much for sound change.
Old 05-27-08, 04:50 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You do get a bit of interior noise, but not really much.
Old 05-27-08, 05:22 PM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

I get alot of vibrations after removing the mufflers. Also the exhuast pipe heat sheilds make a nasty vibrating sound at certain rpm's. It made the sound before, but its alot more obvious now. Im guessing something is loose...
Old 05-27-08, 05:29 PM
Mr Soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IonFeright
I get alot of vibrations after removing the mufflers. Also the exhuast pipe heat sheilds make a nasty vibrating sound at certain rpm's. It made the sound before, but its alot more obvious now. Im guessing something is loose...
i have that vibration sound after i installed the XERD headers im thinking its the resonators vibrating inside usually happens between 2-3k rpm when you have more that 25% of your throttle open.
Old 05-27-08, 08:08 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone have a clip of deleted res on a sc300?
Old 05-27-08, 11:59 PM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TroySC300
I got my center cat removed today, as well as both mufflers + pipe welded to the back with the stock tips on them. It sounds NAUGHTY. By naughty I mean nasty, scary, mean, powerful, sexy, etc. The drone is not bad at all when crusing, only when accelerating is it loud-ish. It sounds great under WOT and idling. There was definitively a slight performance increase too, I can feel it pushing through high RPMs much easier than before. Not a bad mod for $68. I'll post a video as soon as I can.
so do you all mean.....
remove the mufflers
remove the center cat
and remove the resonators?
Old 05-28-08, 07:43 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

a straight pipe after the headers???
Old 06-18-08, 08:09 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

sorry for digging this back from the grave but i have a question....
does anyone here have a sound clip of just the resonators deleted?

also, on my other car, 97 maxima, if we delete both pre-cats on the y-pipe, this shows (proved) a very high hp gain. 10whp at least.
How does our car respond to deleted cats?

Last edited by Peter_95; 06-18-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 09:51 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

The precats have an o2 sensor behind them.

The center cat will net you a decent gain, more so than changing mufflers and deleting resonators.

The resonators will not improve performance at all. They are straight through all they do is absorb some sound.

The stock mufflers are decent flowing mufflers for a stock system. But you will definetly notice a gain if you put on a good aftermarket muffler.

The biggest restriction IMO is the pipes hands down. Its like they couldnt make up their mind if they wanted 2inch or 2.25. It has two Y pipes which is quite a bit of restriction alone. And on top of that they keep changing diameter from 2 to 2.25 it doesnt flow well
Old 06-19-08, 11:21 AM
Damned04
Driver

My sc3 has 2.5 from the manifold, no third cat, no resonators, 2.5 y pipe going into two 2.25 N1 knockoffs. It's loud and droney now, but I get compliments when I get on it. I may switch to some magnaflow 5x8's for a cleaner look and to tone it down a bit.
Old 06-19-08, 03:45 PM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Punky
The precats have an o2 sensor behind them.

The center cat will net you a decent gain, more so than changing mufflers and deleting resonators.

The resonators will not improve performance at all. They are straight through all they do is absorb some sound.

The stock mufflers are decent flowing mufflers for a stock system. But you will definetly notice a gain if you put on a good aftermarket muffler.

The biggest restriction IMO is the pipes hands down. Its like they couldnt make up their mind if they wanted 2inch or 2.25. It has two Y pipes which is quite a bit of restriction alone. And on top of that they keep changing diameter from 2 to 2.25 it doesnt flow well
i noticed you said that there is a decent gain from removing the center cat... but is this because you have an sc4?
I have an sc3, but if replacing the whole exhaust or whatnot does not give me much of a gain, i'd rather just delete the resonators for just sound.... If just deleting resonators make barely any sound difference, then i guess ill just invest the money on some gas. all i want is a slight louder tone, not too loud, but not too little.

does anyone happen to know if deleting resonators cause a drone in the cabin, while i keep my stock muflers and all???

Last edited by Peter_95; 06-19-08 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 06:16 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

I know this tread is for the SC300, but guess I'll put my two cents in on this for anyone who's interested.

First off, here's the setup I got:

The way the story goes, I originally bought a pair of rod millen mufflers from l-tuned. I figured it would be a quick, easy DIY mod. The problem was that the bolts/screws for the oem mufflers were pretty rusted on. I went to a monro, which flat out refused to do the job since the mufflers weren't from their shop. The guy referred me to a local garage shop which does basically anything exhaust setup you want. The guy there offered to do a complete cat-back job for just $300.

My setup begins from the primary cats. From there, it runs completely split through two 2.25" pipes all the way to the mufflers. The center cat is gone, as well as the resonators behind the mufflers. Its been about 3 months since I had it done. At first, the exhaust made a lot of rasping and crackling sounds, I guess its from removing the center cat. The exhaust also smelled pretty bad, like burning oil. My friends haven't said anything to me in the last 2 months, so I assume the smell has gone away. Also, the crackling sound has died down a lot. I only hear it around 3k rpms as the engine's sound transitions. Under 3k it sounds very deep and above 3k it sounds very loud.

As for performance, at low rpms (under 2500), it feels about the same. I think the mid-rpms (2500-4000) have suffered a bit, but at the high rpms (4000+), it feels like the engine's got a real surge of power. Its not quite so pronounced like turbo lag or anything, but I definately feel it pull harder. I'd guess its gained about 15-20 HP. Since I've changed the exhaust quite a bit, its hard to tell what exactly is giving it to most gain. I know some people think cat-backs are unless, but I'd say it probably depends on what setup you do. I think the split/dual on my car really helps the exhaust flow freer, though I could be wrong and it might just be the removed cat. Unfortunately there's no way for me to test it, so its really up to you.
Old 06-20-08, 02:54 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

What size is the inside diameter and OD right behind the muffler after cutting it off?

Quick Reply: delete mufflers or resanators