Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

delete mufflers or resanators

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 08:55 PM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile delete mufflers or resanators

i have a 93 sc300 with stock exhaust and i wanted to get your guys opinions on whether i should delete the mufflers or resanators, this is temporary until i go na-t next year, i have heard the videos on youtube and on the na exhaust clips thread but they dont do justice, but i dont want my car to sound ricer raspy in general thanks in advance
Old 05-17-08, 09:51 PM
SC30096
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im gonna delete my cat and leave everything else. I'll let you know how that sounds if your interested.
Old 05-17-08, 10:02 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

i have deleted only my resonators, and i get comments all the time on how well it sounds. It has a very VERY distinct sound....really really deep, not too loud, and ive been told you can tell its quad cam from the exhaust note..only thing i can think they are hearing is the weird, raspy noise it has...ill try to take a recording and post it up tomorrow...IMO, sounds like a beast, love it..not too loud on highway, or cruising, good noise when accelerating...defiantly when it is loudest
Old 05-17-08, 10:55 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC4_FI
i have deleted only my resonators, and i get comments all the time on how well it sounds. It has a very VERY distinct sound....really really deep, not too loud, and ive been told you can tell its quad cam from the exhaust note..only thing i can think they are hearing is the weird, raspy noise it has...ill try to take a recording and post it up tomorrow...IMO, sounds like a beast, love it..not too loud on highway, or cruising, good noise when accelerating...defiantly when it is loudest
Plz post that clip asap, I'm considering the same thing
Old 05-17-08, 11:27 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Note that both of you guys have different engines so it won't sound the same. Deleting the resonators makes only a slight sound increase. I know cutouts, like I have on my 4, benefit turbo applications greatly so maybe you could benefit from a cutout when you get a turbo. One thing I like about a cutout is you can switch between stock and crazy (no mufflers) or anywhere in between.

Last edited by SClean4; 05-18-08 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 06:31 AM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SClean4
Note that both of you guys have different engines so it won't sound the same. Deleting the resonators makes only a slight sound increase. I know cutouts, like I have on my 4, benefit turbo applications greatly so maybe you could benefit from a cutout when you get a turbo. One thing I like about a cutout is you can switch between stock and crazy (no mufflers).

lol, didnt even notice he was driving a 300 >>

whops..and youre right, on the 2jz, just resonators delete will cause just a very slight change
Old 05-18-08, 07:10 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too, have heard that deleting the resonators on the 3L does very little. I have, however, deleted the resonators on my SC400. In terms of bang for buck exhaust mods on the V8, there is nothing better. A full exhaust overhaul will net very poor hp/$ in an n/a application, and to spend hundreds for a good sound is pointless when $40 at your local exhaust shop will do the trick.

Here is a clip of a before/after with the resonator delete on a V8:
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ation_0001.flv
Old 05-18-08, 10:19 AM
DryBlaze
Lexus Test Driver

Just unbolt the mufflers and go to an exhaust shop and get some pipes put in and tips. I had this done when I was just starting to mess with my SC and it sounded like a louder version of a 350z/g35. I've had many people tell me that one of the nicest sounding lexus they have heard. Now I'm turbo'd and I have a 3" straight pipe going all the way back (well Y pipe since its duals) and it sounds crazy lol.
Old 05-18-08, 11:16 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

I went the deleted muffler route. decent sound not to loud till you really get on it.
Old 05-18-08, 11:24 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

How bad is the drone at low RPM without mufflers? That's my main concern until I go NA-T.
Old 05-18-08, 11:51 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

With windows up you really dont hear much and is pretty quiet at cruising speeds. I did drive mine with just the mufflers removed and it was just dumped right there at the axle and that was a bit loud but i wielded some exhaust pipe with some tips and put it out the back and it was fine.
Old 05-18-08, 11:56 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks
Old 05-18-08, 12:23 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

i replaced my mufflers with apex black n1's.
sounds great, medium loudness
i also have the bfi with a kn drop in. (a huge increase in top end power)

i've been thinking about deleting my resinators, i wonder if it'll be too loud

Last edited by speed6; 05-18-08 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 05:35 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I, too, have heard that deleting the resonators on the 3L does very little. I have, however, deleted the resonators on my SC400. In terms of bang for buck exhaust mods on the V8, there is nothing better. A full exhaust overhaul will net very poor hp/$ in an n/a application, and to spend hundreds for a good sound is pointless when $40 at your local exhaust shop will do the trick.

Here is a clip of a before/after with the resonator delete on a V8:
http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ation_0001.flv
Are we talking performance or sound? Because IMO the best HP/torque gain I've got from exhaust was a center cat delete, it will also get the v8 sounded very throaty.
Old 05-19-08, 12:21 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Punky
Are we talking performance or sound? Because IMO the best HP/torque gain I've got from exhaust was a center cat delete, it will also get the v8 sounded very throaty.
I'm gonna guess he means sound, cause i did the exact same thing, and didn't notice anything performance-wise..not saying there WASN'T anything there, just not anything i could feel..but the sound is really nice..haven't gotten around to taking a vid of it yet, but ill try to before i leave for Florida on Wednesday :cheer:

Quick Reply: delete mufflers or resanators