Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 11:09 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Providing the engine will have clerance this will be great if you can use the mk3 r154 without any shifter mods. Now what im wondering is if this will have any benifits in handling since the motor is placed further back.
Old 05-22-08, 11:27 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

sc250tt, i just verified by looking at a few other pictures of engines and the stock sc bracket has the mount forward of center which pushes the engine back as far as possible already. so unless someone can confirm that the 96- tt bracket/mount is different from the sc bracket/mount from a horizontal axis perspective (which i highly doubt), cherplex is running into a different issue.

can anyone tell that i'd rather be researching or working on my car than actually doing work??? =)
Old 05-22-08, 11:33 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Shop just called to confirm that the 7MGTE front half shaft bolted to trans with no issues so I'm really confused now. Oh well I'll see how everything is when car is put back together.
Old 05-22-08, 11:38 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

cherplex, did u by any chance take pictures of the transmission prior to install?
Old 05-22-08, 12:07 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
sc250tt, i just verified by looking at a few other pictures of engines and the stock sc bracket has the mount forward of center which pushes the engine back as far as possible already. so unless someone can confirm that the 96- tt bracket/mount is different from the sc bracket/mount from a horizontal axis perspective (which i highly doubt), cherplex is running into a different issue.

can anyone tell that i'd rather be researching or working on my car than actually doing work??? =)
The sc 2j might have it foward of the centerline but is the soarer brackets the same as the sc or is it centered? I would of confirm this by looking at mines but my car is in the shop.
Old 05-22-08, 12:20 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc250tt
The sc 2j might have it foward of the centerline but is the soarer brackets the same as the sc or is it centered? I would of confirm this by looking at mines but my car is in the shop.
anything that is not further forward than the sc bracket will not push the engine further back...damn double negatives...ie, if it's in line w/ the center, then it actually moves the engine forward.
Old 05-22-08, 01:01 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

anything that is not further forward than the sc bracket will not push the engine further back...damn double negatives...ie, if it's in line w/ the center, then it actually moves the engine forward.
Are the soarer brackets the same as the sc? If not then the supra brackets that sherwin is using is putting the engine back 2 cm .This is the issue he is having and the only thing that ill cause this is the brackets. So these brackets on any jz engine will put it back 2 inches.Can anyone confirm that the sc brackets is the same as the soarer?
Old 05-22-08, 03:59 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

The mounts should not move the motor any. I have both stock sc brackets and mounts as well as the trd with the 97+ supra brackets and the motor sits in the exact same position.
Old 05-22-08, 09:57 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

its gotta be something with the chaser r154. when i have talked to you i was under the impression that it was a soarer r154. I dont know the difference if any but you have all the same parts as me and everything fits like a glove in mine
Old 05-26-08, 05:02 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

here's a thought cherplex. i think there are different tranny tunnels depending what kind of tranny. take this as an example: soarer has 2 different r154's...one has a swan neck and the other has straight type shifter. if swan neck, the hole is further forward, if straight, hole is more towards the rear.

i was looking at my shifter area the other day and the hole was very specific to the tranny in the car...ie, the area where the shifter connects to the tranny is in one specific location and swan neck shifter is used to place it in the correct location on the shifter console. my car would not be able to fit the straight soarer tranny as the hole would not line up like in ur pictures. i believe urs is the same, it had the early w58 transmission, using the swan neck shifter.

Last edited by craaaazzy; 05-26-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-26-08, 07:20 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

here's a thought cherplex. i think there are different tranny tunnels depending what kind of tranny. take this as an example: soarer has 2 different r154's...one has a swan neck and the other has straight type shifter. if swan neck, the hole is further forward, if straight, hole is more towards the rear.

i was looking at my shifter area the other day and the hole was very specific to the tranny in the car...ie, the area where the shifter connects to the tranny is in one specific location and swan neck shifter is used to place it in the correct location on the shifter console. my car would not be able to fit the straight soarer tranny as the hole would not line up like in ur pictures. i believe urs is the same, it had the early w58 transmission, using the swan neck shifter.
Yea i think thats the issue .You have the remote shifter which was made for 95+ soarers. Is your car a 92-94? the the swan neck shifter suppose to fit in there without any mods.
Old 05-27-08, 08:43 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an excellent observation.

I bet Blair received an early version Soarer R154 transmission from JHot when he did his swap (would be verified if Blair knows or remembers if his shift rod was swan-necked).

Sherwin, clearly you have a different iteration of the transmission, and the 1-2" of extra depth that you are experiencing is compensation for the straight angled shifter.

Nice thinking crazy. It looks like you have hit the nail on the head.
Old 05-27-08, 08:49 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

shows u guys how much research and thinking i've been doing on this r154 swap. just missing the 1jz flywheel and work can begin...once i schedule some time w/ my friend to use his 4 post. then turn up boost!
Old 05-27-08, 09:07 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

Thats crazy. I'm assuming all USDM sc300's with the W58 have the same mounting location, but the 92-95 soarer/96+ soarer's have different locations.

Even if you had your trans tunnel cut open, would the shifter mount correctly inside the cabin with the shift boot?

Cherplex. I'll trade you soarer transmissions =P. I have the early model swan shifter.

Last edited by joewitafro; 05-27-08 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 09:31 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for all the input. It looks as though it will fit once the hole is recut. I will have to double check fitment with the boot on etc. I wonder if I use the shifting mechanism from a regular MKIII R154 if that will help.

Quick Reply: Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue