Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 10:17 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Thanks for all the input. It looks as though it will fit once the hole is recut. I will have to double check fitment with the boot on etc. I wonder if I use the shifting mechanism from a regular MKIII R154 if that will help.
that won't work either. the MKIII shifter housing sits forward about an inch compared to the soarer...which means u'll probably still need to cut into the tunnel (i'm verifying this soon) AND use the W58 shifter. i'm putting this info on my thread as well later on when i verify this to be certain.
Old 06-16-08, 02:46 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

any new updates?
Old 06-16-08, 03:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by edwinbong
any new updates?
I will find out by the end of this week.
Old 06-16-08, 07:06 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a way to measure the length of the really weird shaped remote shift piece?

I have a remote setup for an R154 that I can measure, and we can make sure it's not something different about the Chaser transmission.

Try looking around on jzx100.com, lots of useful info on there.

Last edited by LEXpert; 06-16-08 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 12:24 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Well it turns out everything fit up well when the interior was put back together. I was worried that the shifter itself would come in contact with back console but it clears just fine(Click on pic below for enlarged pic)

So overall the shifter hole had to be extended about 2". Everything else was fine. I still find this whole thing very odd but hey it all bolted up.

Old 06-19-08, 02:54 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So let me get this straight.

The tunnel cover through which the shifter assembly comes through has the hole in 2 different locations:

1) hole forward
- All SC300s with W58
- Soarer R154 with swan style shifter
- Supra R154 with retro-fit (ala Blizzy)

2) hole rearward
- Soarer R154 with remote straight shifter
- Chaser R154 with remote straight shifter

It looks like all SCs have the forward hole for the shifter. If you use a Soarer/Chaser remote shifter, you will need to cut and move the hole back.

So here's the $100k question. Who has the Soarer part number for tunnel cover with the shifter hole mounted rearwards for the remote shifter assemblies with straight shifter rod?

I'm trying to gather ALL information before I persue an R154. Because the Blizzy retrofit may be out of the question becuase parts are discontinued, I may go after a Chaser/Soarer R154.

Last edited by shern; 06-19-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 05:23 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hey cherplex is the shifter in the posted pic in the neutral position?

comparing the shifter position with the w58, the shifter when in neutral points a bit away from the driver instead of towards the driver. maybe its just me and how the pic looks. i know that it doesnt look like my shifter.

good work either way though. congrats
Old 06-20-08, 09:53 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXpert
do you have a way to measure the length of the really weird shaped remote shift piece?

I have a remote setup for an R154 that I can measure, and we can make sure it's not something different about the Chaser transmission.

Try looking around on jzx100.com, lots of useful info on there.
anyone know if the chaser r154 and soarer r154 remote styles are the same? anyone ever do a side by side?
Old 06-20-08, 06:18 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got everything together cherplex. Looks good in there...It's like a whole new ride.
Old 06-21-08, 08:48 AM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Originally Posted by edwinbong
anyone know if the chaser r154 and soarer r154 remote styles are the same? anyone ever do a side by side?
As far as I know, they're the same, atleast that's my understanding.

Originally Posted by shern
So let me get this straight.

The tunnel cover through which the shifter assembly comes through has the hole in 2 different locations:

1) hole forward
- All SC300s with W58
- Soarer R154 with swan style shifter
- Supra R154 with retro-fit (ala Blizzy)

2) hole rearward
- Soarer R154 with remote straight shifter
- Chaser R154 with remote straight shifter

It looks like all SCs have the forward hole for the shifter. If you use a Soarer/Chaser remote shifter, you will need to cut and move the hole back.

So here's the $100k question. Who has the Soarer part number for tunnel cover with the shifter hole mounted rearwards for the remote shifter assemblies with straight shifter rod?

I'm trying to gather ALL information before I persue an R154. Because the Blizzy retrofit may be out of the question becuase parts are discontinued, I may go after a Chaser/Soarer R154.
I was told that the hole in the tunnel for an auto lines up. I bought all the remote shift parts off a guy who had an early soarer, definitely pre 94, and he said it used to be auto (it had a 94+ trans in it when be bought it), and that there was no signs of cutting.

I'll be doing my swap sometime this summer, as I nearly have all the parts I need, so we will find out how it lines up.
Old 06-22-08, 12:26 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Instead of starting a new thread, any idea if the gearshift it's self (the actual stick part) from a remote shift W58 works with the remote shift R154?

The original owner of my transmission thought it would be a good idea to bend the gearshift towards the driver..............and at the time, the transmission was in a RHD car, and my car is LHD, so ya, I have a stick thats bent away from me.
Old 06-22-08, 06:10 PM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woohoo, the cherpulator will be back on the road by the middle of this week and then we can go cruising and terrorize the streets.
Old 06-22-08, 06:56 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

glad it all worked out. =)
Old 03-24-10, 07:54 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sherwin I dropped my trans in last night and the shifter doesn't line up the auto shifter hole , and when i first did my 5 speed swap i cut into the tunnel about 2" in front of the auto shifter hole and now i have to cut again the rest of the sheet metal that's in betwwen the auto shifter hole and the hole that cut for my W58 swap .
No w ihave big A** hole in my trans tunnel.
So i guess this is because i am using the supra TT mount and the engine sit kind of low in the bay.
Old 03-24-10, 08:28 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

^^^ Yea with the auto tunnel I know you have to cut. My car is a 92 manual and I still had to cut. I actually had to have it cut more for the Getrag. I think the TT Mounts make a difference as far as height not sure about front/forward postion. I know T had TT mounts and his motor sat slightly more back than mine but he used a MKIII R154 and shifter position was decent, 1st and 3rd were close to radio stuff but never touched.

Quick Reply: Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue