Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 07:15 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
Unhappy Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue

After all my research I still ran into fitment issues . Anyway here's my setup:

Trans: Chaser R154 w/1jz bellhousing
Motor: 94 USDM TT (BPU ++)
Mounts/Brackets: 93-96 TT
Chassis: 92 SC300 5MT

Trans was bolted to motor and dropped in but the shifter sits too far back from the shifter hole. It's about 2 inches behind the hole. I found this odd considering it was all supposed to line up perfectly. It looks as though a Supra R154 would fit perfect lol. I looked at my other boys setup and he's running a gte with sc300 motor mounts and brackets and his motor actually sat about 2" further out than mine. So I could only assume that the motor mounts and engine brackets were the issue. I know Blair is using 97/98 Supra Motor Mounts/Engine brackets and his trans (Soarer R154) bolted up with no issues. So based on that here are my options.

Option 1: Pull motor and mount sc300 mounts/brackets.(Motor 2" forward)
Option 2: Pull motor and mount 97/98 Supra mounts/brackets.(Motor ?? forward)
Option 3: Modify shifter hole to accommodate shifter. (Cheapest)

I will probably go with option 3 considering I would have to buy new supra or sc300 mounts and bracket for the first two options.

I'm also double checking the front half 7mgte drive shaft, a test fit showed fitment with no issues even with the shifter being 2" behind the hole. I will have to double check on that though.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress. Also any input from the experts will be helpful.
Old 05-22-08, 03:55 AM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=motor+mounts
Old 05-22-08, 04:03 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Thanks for the link. I actually want to see a side by side comparison of the Supra Engine Brackets compared to the SC300 Engine Brackets.
Old 05-22-08, 04:11 AM
vntperform
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Thanks for the link. I actually want to see a side by side comparison of the Supra Engine Brackets compared to the SC300 Engine Brackets.
Cherp,

seems like this link has better info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=148946
Old 05-22-08, 07:17 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is great news... (not your delimma plex) so we might be able to use a supra r154 without extending anything if we use the mounts you have...intresting. Try the 1j brackets it should be right with those.
Old 05-22-08, 08:04 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
Wow this is great news... (not your delimma plex) so we might be able to use a supra r154 without extending anything if we use the mounts you have...intresting. Try the 1j brackets it should be right with those.
The early version Soarer R154 conversion parts that I ordered from Carson cost less ($62) than a single Supra motor mount -let alone both motor mounts and both motor mount brackets- to effectively do the exact same duty.

Cherplex...I would double check that the front MK3 driveshaft does or does not line up. If your motor/trans is 2" deep, the driveshaft should be correspondingly 2" deep as well. If the driveshaft still lines up as it should, I am stumped.
Old 05-22-08, 09:28 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

here's a link with a picture of the 96- brackets (last post). does not look like it will put the engine 2" back: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ht=motor+mount

so cherplex, your r154 is like the soarer with the extended housing? what shifter are you using? swan or straight? if swan and it puts u 2 inches back, use the straight one and u should be good to go.
Old 05-22-08, 09:30 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

here's another idea: u or ur friend install the bracket correctly? let's say your reversed it and put the left on the right and visa versa...that could also explain the 2 inch difference.
Old 05-22-08, 09:42 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

The early version Soarer R154 conversion parts that I ordered from Carson cost less ($62) than a single Supra motor mount -let alone both motor mounts and both motor mount brackets- to effectively do the exact same duty.
Too bad its discontinued

craaaazzy I think he has a remote shifter transmission ...but i could be wrong..
Old 05-22-08, 09:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
here's another idea: u or ur friend install the bracket correctly? let's say your reversed it and put the left on the right and visa versa...that could also explain the 2 inch difference.
Yea but that's just height difference.

Originally Posted by sc250tt
Too bad its discontinued

craaaazzy I think he has a remote shifter transmission ...but i could be wrong..
Yes I have the tranny with remote shifter and the shifter itself is straight.

I'm trying to upload pics I took with my phone.
Old 05-22-08, 10:14 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Pics Added. Sorry they couldn't be better or clearer

Under Side

Under Side #2

Pic from Inside Car
Old 05-22-08, 10:15 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
Yea but that's just height difference.

Yes I have the tranny with remote shifter and the shifter itself is straight.
no no, i'm not talking about the height difference. comparing both brackets and mounts, it does not look like it would change the position of the engine on a horizontal axis.

but if u do put the left bracket on the right side of the engine and the right bracket on the left, it would since the brackets are off center. which way they go, i can't remember but it would change the engine position either further forward or back from stock location. does anyone have a picture of a stock bracket on the motor?
Old 05-22-08, 10:17 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
no no, i'm not talking about the height difference. comparing both brackets and mounts, it does not look like it would change the position of the engine on a horizontal axis.

but if u do put the left bracket on the right side of the engine and the right bracket on the left, it would since the brackets are off center. which way they go, i can't remember but it would change the engine position either further forward or back from stock location. does anyone have a picture of a stock bracket on the motor?
ahh ok I see what you're saying.
Old 05-22-08, 10:18 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

cherplex, get me a picture of the bracket if you can. or see if the mount is installed forward or back of the center line of the bracket.

if the mount is towards the front, i think if u swap the brackets to the other side, it will put the engine 2 inches forward...that's only if the mount is towards the front. if back, nothing else u can do in terms of the bracket/mount.

this is also assuming you can swap the brackets from one side to the other...

Last edited by craaaazzy; 05-22-08 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 10:35 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

k, here's a pic that shows the mount should be forward of center.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=335734

edit: actually, with the mount forward of center, it places the engine as far back as it can go...hmmmm.

Last edited by craaaazzy; 05-22-08 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Chaser R154 to 92 SC300 w/GTE Fitment Issue