Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My sc300 swap nightmare unfolds...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 12:55 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked my ring end gaps. my first one is .016 and second is .018. I find that to be acceptable so I think im going to be reusing the rings. I was running .019, and .021 on a 4g63 with forged pistons, so I think this will be fine. There is no real obvious wear on them and it seems like they have a chrome coating on them.

I guess I can open the end gaps up for more boost, but at this point im only planning on around 20-25 psi on a gt3255 for a respectable daily driver.
Old 05-22-08, 01:02 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

wow, good luck with the project,

is it just me or do I see a trend in ALOT of bad JDM motors latley?
(maybe most of the good ones are already gone, there's been a huge demand for the 2jz, I'm seeing alot of them in 240's and even a number of old rx7's and Datsans)
Old 05-22-08, 02:05 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
wow, good luck with the project,

is it just me or do I see a trend in ALOT of bad JDM motors latley?
(maybe most of the good ones are already gone, there's been a huge demand for the 2jz, I'm seeing alot of them in 240's and even a number of old rx7's and Datsans)
They assume if it passes a compression test that its a good motor. Mine looked like it was rolled off a truck and smoked crack its whole life. Mad jdm yo!
Old 05-22-08, 03:27 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

just polished the valve covers, some day my motor is going to look like this:

Old 05-22-08, 04:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Subscribed.... keep up the good work and the sweet pictures...
Old 05-24-08, 03:30 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

damn my valve covers where powder coated black, after seeing your polished ones i might have to do that now lol
Old 05-24-08, 06:09 AM
VIPGarage
Driver School Candidate

best of luck man. That same company hosed our shop with a 2J that we bought too. We had to rebuild the head, hot tank everything and make it right. Sorry you had to deal with that too.

Best of luck moving forward. It looks like you're heading in the right direction though. Keep your head up and just tell yourself that the end result will be well worth the work and delay!
Old 05-24-08, 01:18 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

Originally Posted by aka paco
damn my valve covers where powder coated black, after seeing your polished ones i might have to do that now lol
Yeah, im trying to get a polished/black theme going on with the car. That is why I got the rims, and im planning on painting the car black. I think it will look hot with the black interior. I was going to paint the cam covers black, but my buddy showed me how easy it is to polish and I decided to go with that.

Originally Posted by VIPGarage;
best of luck man. That same company hosed our shop with a 2J that we bought too. We had to rebuild the head, hot tank everything and make it right. Sorry you had to deal with that too.

Best of luck moving forward. It looks like you're heading in the right direction though. Keep your head up and just tell yourself that the end result will be well worth the work and delay!
Damn. Im not a vendor basher but these people really suck. I cant wait to get this thread up on nissan forums, and tri state tuners. Once this guy is done sending me parts, im going to email him a link to this thread. If I can't get him with bad feedback on ebay, I will increase the community's awareness of this company's terrible customer service, lack of knowledge, and horrible products
Old 05-24-08, 01:31 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

Oh, another thing, anyone have any information on 2jz rings on the 1jz pistons. I have heard some say its impossible, I have heard people say use the oil ring, and 2nd ring, and reuse the top ring. I dont know what to do, but I dont want to take this thing back apart once its done.

I got my 2jz rings on friday, and I can see the differences immediately. The top ring definately wont work. The second ring has a little bevel in it on the outside. I would take a pic but its too hard to see the differences even in person. The oil rings look the same except for a different design on the oil control ring (center piece of oil ring).

They claim to have rings:

http://www.deves.com/devesrings/cars_TOYOTA.cfm

Camry, Sienna, Avalon 1994- 6 87.50 1.20 1.20 3.00 2773
1MZFE, 2995cc 3.445 1-K 1-K 1-O

$110

That is what they told me to use for the 1jz when I called them. It doesnt seem right because the top 2 rings are not the same size on the 1jz piston. Maybe they misheard me when I told them 1jz and they thought 1mz, I will call back on tuesday to clarify this.

If anyone holds the key to this, please share information. I really dont want to reuse rings if I am going into the motor this far for a rebuild. Seems sorta 1/2 ****.

I just found this:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67184

Maybe it will be helpful for anyone having a 1jz ring conundrum.
Old 05-24-08, 03:05 PM
spdngyns69
Driver School Candidate

damn bro, im sorry about your nightmare dealing with these crooks. Not trying to bash vendors also but from personal experience, i believe all these vendors from canada are all the same company. Nagano,osaka,nagasaki what ever! Bought a Honda F20b for the prelude and first one, seized crankshaft(corrosion). second one, oil pump failure and scored camshafts. finally the third, ummmmm lets just say similar to yours with all that carbon junk. I didnt rebuild like you and surely enough.. motor lasted 4 months. down 2300, 2months of no ride, when the original price from them was 1400shipped. lesson learned for me. no maple leaf motors from now on. funny thing, he was also complaining about how much money he is losing on shipping his mistakes. (ironic) or same company?
Old 05-24-08, 05:58 PM
1fastgst
Rookie

Originally Posted by spdngyns69
damn bro, im sorry about your nightmare dealing with these crooks. Not trying to bash vendors also but from personal experience, i believe all these vendors from canada are all the same company. Nagano,osaka,nagasaki what ever! Bought a Honda F20b for the prelude and first one, seized crankshaft(corrosion). second one, oil pump failure and scored camshafts. finally the third, ummmmm lets just say similar to yours with all that carbon junk. I didnt rebuild like you and surely enough.. motor lasted 4 months. down 2300, 2months of no ride, when the original price from them was 1400shipped. lesson learned for me. no maple leaf motors from now on. funny thing, he was also complaining about how much money he is losing on shipping his mistakes. (ironic) or same company?
Thats horrible dude. I have been dealing with John at Osaka motors (supposedly the boss) for some time now. He seems to have an attitude with me and if I see him in person I would probably smack the ***** out of him. They were really crying about the shipping, and how they went out of there way to help me. Like wtf they sent me the wrong motor. I may swing by their operation in September when I make my annual trip to Toronto to go clubbing.

Then he posts this as a feedback reply on ebay:

Reply by nagasaki_motors2006 (May-12-08 12:51):
2engines were shiped 4him, thats all i can say. he does't know what he needs.
o
Rating mutually withdrawn
Buyer and seller mutually agreed to withdraw feedback for this item. Learn more.

This moron cannot even spell properly. They try to make me look like the jack*ss.

I just hope they send me all the parts I need so can post them a link of this thread.
Old 05-24-08, 07:32 PM
spdngyns69
Driver School Candidate

dude that's F*ing ridiculous. It's not that "you" dont know what you want...its "him" not know what he sells. As far as im concerned, he didnt do you any favors. its more like trying fix his mistakes causing you inconvenience. I remember going thru this situation last year so i know what you're goin thru. I did get some revenge by completely dismantling the last engine they sent down to the rod bearings. made sure they dont try to pass it to some other poor customer. That just proved that everything they saw returned was complete crap. goodluck with your project bro
Old 05-25-08, 04:41 PM
Punky
Lead Lap

Atleast you are gonna have one nice motor when you're done.
Old 05-26-08, 03:08 AM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That shop isn't far from where I live. There's a local forum here that has a few horror stories from them. Forum is down for maintenance at the moment. I'll find some threads for you tomorrow morning.
Old 05-26-08, 10:55 AM
1fastgst
Rookie

UUGGH, just got off the phone with these tards again. They cannot find the lower oil pan and pickup strainer for me. WTF. Can anyone sell me one?

I should go back to dsms, way cheaper and dsmers dont worry about being mad jdm yo. They actually despise jdm bulls**t.

Quick Reply: My sc300 swap nightmare unfolds...