Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help removing auto tranny,for manual conversion in my SC400.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 07:23 AM
ranger2339
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help removing auto tranny,for manual conversion in my SC400.

Ok so I have to remove the tranny from my SC400, I have to do it in my garage and dont have a lift, would it be easyer to just pull the whole engine,or drop the tranny from the car with the engine in?

I might just pull the engine to do the t-belts and some other maintenance.

Thanks
Josh
Old 05-31-08, 09:35 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to pull the motor to do any of that work.

Trans isn't too hard to do in the driveway on axle stands. Biggest thing is making sure the car is high enough to let the bellhousing clear the car when you are pulling it out.

Might want to drain the trans first.

Matt.
Old 06-02-08, 10:08 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This service manual excerpt is technically for the MKIV TT Supra with an automatic transmission; but, since the MKIV TT used the same automatic as our SC400 utilizes, the directions offer a very good guide.
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...ion/index.html

This is from a forum member who has an LS400, but -again- the transmission is the same. The removal is essentially the identical procedure for our SC400. I used this as a guide as well.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...n/removal.html

I was able to both remove my stock automatic and install my R154 in my garage with jack stands and a decent socket set. It has taken three times longer than it would have with air tools and a lift, but it will be well worth it when I pull out of the garage later this week. If you have the patience, you can get the job done right.

Pulling the motor is defintely not necessary. Once you get the catback exhaust out of the way, you can really get down to business disconnecting the wiring and the oil cooling lines and then the transmission itself.
Old 08-14-13, 05:01 PM
RyskSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sc400 a340e transmission removal

Originally Posted by Blizzy
This service manual excerpt is technically for the MKIV TT Supra with an automatic transmission; but, since the MKIV TT used the same automatic as our SC400 utilizes, the directions offer a very good guide.
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...ion/index.html

This is from a forum member who has an LS400, but -again- the transmission is the same. The removal is essentially the identical procedure for our SC400. I used this as a guide as well.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...n/removal.html

I was able to both remove my stock automatic and install my R154 in my garage with jack stands and a decent socket set. It has taken three times longer than it would have with air tools and a lift, but it will be well worth it when I pull out of the garage later this week. If you have the patience, you can get the job done right.

Pulling the motor is defintely not necessary. Once you get the catback exhaust out of the way, you can really get down to business disconnecting the wiring and the oil cooling lines and then the transmission itself.

I'm about to pull my A340E transmission out to be either fixed or replaced which I still need to purchase. If anyone is close to the Portland OR area and you have a compatible tranny available id love to hear from you. However these manuals that u provide ask for the starter to be removed. To get to my starter out is going to require taring half of the 1UZ-FE engine apart. So basically all I wanna know is weather i have to take off the starter in order to remove the transmission. Not having to remove the starter is going to save me about 1-2 days worth of work. Thank you in advance