Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Timing Belt & Serpentine on SC300???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 08:26 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunahoo
im not talking about the timing belt... im talking about the "drive belt"/serpentine/v-belt (whatever people call it).
OK, then make sure there is enough tension on the belt. If there is , then go down to the autoparts store and get some stuff you can spray the belt with to make it sticky. Just tell them whats going on and they will know what you need. You could have gotten some oil on the belt.
Old 06-08-08, 08:41 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

upon further research I need to replace my distributer o-ring... is the a DIY on this because I have no clue what "putting the motor on tdc" is ???
Old 06-09-08, 12:09 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A simple search for "distributor ring" got me this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...stributor+ring
Old 06-09-08, 06:50 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunahoo
upon further research I need to replace my distributer o-ring... is the a DIY on this because I have no clue what "putting the motor on tdc" is ???
That is the same leak that I have... as seen in my picture on Page 2. I will be replacing the O-Ring this month... so if you need help, let me know. That DIY should cover it though.

Lets fix these leaks brother!
Old 08-09-08, 12:03 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwebb99
On a SC300 there is absolutely no need to remove radiator/fan/shroud to change out serpentine/drive belt. Serpentine belt change can be changed in about ten minutes without removing ANYTHING except the old belt itself. I have put about 200,000 miles on my SC300 and have changed that belt aleast a dozen times. SC400 may be different.
How??? I thought this would be simple and took out the belt but the belt is stuck with the fan(?)... by the way, I only need to change serpentine (drive) belt...

any other question, can I change drivebelt tensioner assembly (that's the part that I brought) without removing radiators, fan, etc... I don't have enough tools... -__-

Last edited by miraluna; 08-09-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-09-08, 01:21 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Just "fish" the belt around the fan blade. If the belt is old/damaged and your still having trouble, just cut the SOB. You will need a socket set with extensions to remove the tensioner pulley. When putting on new serpentine belt, you will need the proper socket and socket wrench(to clear fan blade) WITH a small cheater bar attached(say about 16") to allow the necessary leverage on the tensioner to install belt. Watch your fingers! (Remember, the SC300 engine is just darn near the easiest modern 6 cylinder engine to work on) Very easy procedure with the correct tools to change the belt. I believe you can remove tensioner without removing the fan/shroud.If installing a new tensioner pulley, then,Do Not overtorque the tensioner pulley mounting bolts! Stick with the OEM torque specs, always.
Old 08-09-08, 07:10 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

i just took out belt... thanks... anyone here has some kind of step by step like picture or something like that for instructions of removing tensioner?
Old 08-09-08, 07:24 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you never done either then get someone that knows what they are doing to do it for you or help you do it. it is NOT hard to do either one but it is very easy to screw it up...at least the timing belt and if you screw it up then you will most likely need a new motor if you bend some valves.

good luck
since the 2jzge and the 2jzgte are non interference motors which means that the engine is designed with enough piston to valve clearance so that an open valve will not contact the piston at the top of it's stroke. so bending valves would take one hell of an act of god
serpentine belt takes 5 min tops and is cake walk just remember the belt routing
Old 08-09-08, 08:19 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

I am in Downey, and if anyone out there, willing to help me to change tensioner and belt????
Old 08-10-08, 10:02 PM
miraluna
Pole Position

I am trying to change the "drive belt"/serpentine/v-belt (whatever people call it) and tensioner assembly (which comes with pulley)...
Old 02-04-09, 09:31 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

does anyone know how to read the markings on the serpentine belt tensioner? i see 3 lines on the tensioner assembly, but i don't see anything to line them up with like on the block or anything.. just curious my tensioner seems fine but it's really close to another pulley..
Old 04-22-09, 07:57 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

is it possible to change the timing belt tensioner without removing the timing belt?
Old 04-23-09, 11:56 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aka paco
does anyone know how to read the markings on the serpentine belt tensioner? i see 3 lines on the tensioner assembly, but i don't see anything to line them up with like on the block or anything.. just curious my tensioner seems fine but it's really close to another pulley..
With a new belt the tick mark on the mounted part of the tensioner should line up between the left two marks and a used belt should not be past the right tick mark. The factory manual labels them A B C, so in between A and B for a new belt and not past C for the used one.
Old 01-28-10, 11:22 AM
HybridC24K
Driver School Candidate

So I just removed my serpentine belt. I didnt understand what people posted and finally I figured it out. It was so simple, I wish someone just explained it better. Just tighten the pulley the tensioner is connected to and it swings and you can take the belt off EASY. Geez. Took me 1 min after I figured that out. I used a breaker bar to tighten the bolt.
Old 01-28-10, 05:20 PM
MR_Clean
Rookie

I did my timing belt when i first purchased my car. It's not very hard, really not hard at all. The biggest pain in the A$% for me was trying to get the crank nut off. Unless you hang out with the Incredible Hulk and he has a 5k lb/ft impact gun your going to have fun.

And as stated earlier in the post make sure to replace anything/everything maintenance related that you can get to when its off. I did'nt and now I have a blown headgasket due to a sticking t-stat

Good luck in your ventures and may the bolt loosening force be with you.

Quick Reply: DIY Timing Belt & Serpentine on SC300???