Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How's the manual transmission in the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 10:50 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TecnoSmurf
Anyone drive an evo? I wish the tranny was like that.
Nope, and I've been avoiding even test driving one, because I have a feeling that I would like one a LOT, and they are out of my budget.
Old 06-19-08, 11:50 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I like my W58 just fine, although it could be better. with 153k on the clock, Shifting is still a little notchy and could use a new shifter bushing and some new fluids. The only problem is that the 96-97 transmissions are slightly different and require a different method of removal for the bushing. From what people have said they can handle about 400-450hp but some have gone to 600hp. The weak point is the third gear synchro. If under the right conditions (high hp and lots of hard shifting) you'll see third gear in the rearview very quickly. I havent found any rebuild kits for the W58 yet or anything that could be compatible for fixing it. Best option if your looking for major HP is to look for a R154 swap as they are cheap and parts are readily available for it. Otherwise keep the W58 and treat it right and it will last you for a long time.
Old 06-19-08, 12:48 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Recluse
Nope, and I've been avoiding even test driving one, because I have a feeling that I would like one a LOT, and they are out of my budget.
i have a lot of evo friends and i work on some people's cars from EvolutionM forums. in all honestly i love the evo in general. the shifter is indirect but i can live with it. the car in general cant even be called a DSM. its like mitsubishi spends all of their budget designing and building the evo and "throw" together the rest of their line-up. lol.

i was actually considering selling my car and getting an evo rs. yeah for no power windows, doors, no ac, no abs, and hell lot less weight and cost. no one understands me and can justify buying a modern car without power anything but i can

w58 is the smoothest toyota trans you can get in RWD. do the fluid and change shifter bushing and it makes for a really nice daily driver.
Old 06-19-08, 02:04 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I like my W58 just fine, although it could be better. with 153k on the clock, Shifting is still a little notchy and could use a new shifter bushing and some new fluids. The only problem is that the 96-97 transmissions are slightly different and require a different method of removal for the bushing. From what people have said they can handle about 400-450hp but some have gone to 600hp. The weak point is the third gear synchro. If under the right conditions (high hp and lots of hard shifting) you'll see third gear in the rearview very quickly. I havent found any rebuild kits for the W58 yet or anything that could be compatible for fixing it. Best option if your looking for major HP is to look for a R154 swap as they are cheap and parts are readily available for it. Otherwise keep the W58 and treat it right and it will last you for a long time.
Well, if I got an SC300 5MT, I'd pretty much want to keep it stock. So it sounds like you pretty much like the transmission in a stock daily driver?

I'm definitely not mechanically inclined...are the bushings something that any decent shop could switch out?
Old 06-19-08, 03:46 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
its like mitsubishi spends all of their budget designing and building the evo and "throw" together the rest of their line-up. lol.
LOL! Too funny, and probably true.

i was actually considering selling my car and getting an evo rs. yeah for no power windows, doors, no ac, no abs, and hell lot less weight and cost. no one understands me and can justify buying a modern car without power anything but i can
I understand......Just the mere fact that that car EXISTS makes me happy. They are super-rare too....I think there were only like 300-something RS models imported for 2006.....

w58 is the smoothest toyota trans you can get in RWD. do the fluid and change shifter bushing and it makes for a really nice daily driver.
Well, then that means it's probably better than what I was used to. Thanks for the info...now I want to see if I can track one down for a test-drive.