Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How's the manual transmission in the SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 12:15 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's the manual transmission in the SC300?

Hi everybody-

I drifted over here from the CL 2nd generation IS forum. I've been looking for an affordable, RWD second car, and the SC300 with the 5-speed manual transmission seems like a potential candidate.

However, I just got out of a 2007 Lexus IS250 6MT a few months back. I thought the car was amazing, but found the quality and refinement of the manual transmission itself to be sorely lacking. Here's what I disliked in particular:

-I had the "jar of marbles" sound when accelerating from a stop (which a warranty clutch replacement did nothing to alleviate).

-The clutch pedal covered a pretty long arc (I needed to lift my heel off the floor to depress it all the way) and engaged like an on/off switch right near the top of its travel.

-The shifter itself was kind of vague, had long throws, and the shifts were occasionally notchy.

So, I'm wondering if the setup in the SC300 is anything like what I described above? My fingers are crossed that it's better.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-08, 01:02 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I rather like the transmission in mine. It's very smooth and the throws aren't unusually long. I haven't driven with the stock clutch in about 15,000 miles, so I kind of forget what it feels like. But I hope that helps.
Old 06-16-08, 08:03 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Old 06-16-08, 10:49 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OneJay
I rather like the transmission in mine. It's very smooth and the throws aren't unusually long. I haven't driven with the stock clutch in about 15,000 miles, so I kind of forget what it feels like. But I hope that helps.
Thanks for the info

Also, sorry about putting my thread in the wrong place....I thought this subsection was for performance modifications.
Old 06-16-08, 02:43 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say go test one out, because from what youve descibed, it sounds like the sc300 is the same thing
Old 06-16-08, 03:14 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
i say go test one out, because from what youve descibed, it sounds like the sc300 is the same thing
I appreciate your honest answer.

I would love to test drive one, but I haven't seen any for sale in my area. But I'll be on the lookout.
Old 06-16-08, 03:18 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what youve descibed, it sounds like the sc300 is the same thing
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-16-08, 06:43 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it also depends on the gear oil. when i had my oil fluid it wasnt as smooth. when i did my fluids it felt a lot smoother. i did some valvoline because i got it for free. im planning to do motul before i go to next drift day.

the w58 feels a lot better then a r154. i have a lot of friends with mk3 supras with r154 and the only r154 that feels good is the one that was freshly rebuilt and filled with redline gear oil.

i like the w58 a lot more then the r154 as far as the feel of it. i would obviously trade it if i had more power but for daily driving and some drift events the w58 is perfect
Old 06-17-08, 04:10 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
it also depends on the gear oil. when i had my oil fluid it wasnt as smooth. when i did my fluids it felt a lot smoother. i did some valvoline because i got it for free. im planning to do motul before i go to next drift day.

the w58 feels a lot better then a r154. i have a lot of friends with mk3 supras with r154 and the only r154 that feels good is the one that was freshly rebuilt and filled with redline gear oil.

i like the w58 a lot more then the r154 as far as the feel of it. i would obviously trade it if i had more power but for daily driving and some drift events the w58 is perfect
Thanks for the info. I had to go look up the transmission codes to know what you meant, though. I'm definitely not technical.

I guess another thing is expectations.....I EXPECTED a brand-new $30K Lexus to be perfect, while I don't think I'd feel the same when looking at an 11-16 year old car........
Old 06-17-08, 06:31 PM
Josh S
Driver School Candidate

Well My SC300 has almost 175k on it, but I have to say that the shifter is not all that impressive. Kinda vague and somewhat long throws. Clutch pedal is decent IMO. Overall not a very impressive shifting tranny and when I get into my 6-speed supra it is night and day difference in the tranny feel.
the SC300 isn't bad but its more of a luxury manual verses a sport car manual.
Old 06-17-08, 09:12 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^ change the shifter bushing, trans mount, and fluid. it will definitely feel better
Old 06-18-08, 03:04 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Josh S
Well My SC300 has almost 175k on it, but I have to say that the shifter is not all that impressive. Kinda vague and somewhat long throws. Clutch pedal is decent IMO. Overall not a very impressive shifting tranny and when I get into my 6-speed supra it is night and day difference in the tranny feel.
the SC300 isn't bad but its more of a luxury manual verses a sport car manual.
Thanks for the info. Guess I have some stuff to think about.

I've heard the 6-speeds in the Supra are excellent...wish I could afford one.
Old 06-18-08, 03:46 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the v160 is very hard to shift, not a great daily car IMO, if you want good shiftering car, the supra 6-speed might not be your choice
Old 06-19-08, 03:38 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

Anyone drive an evo? I wish the tranny was like that.
Old 06-19-08, 10:49 AM
Recluse
Pole Position

the v160 is very hard to shift, not a great daily car IMO, if you want good shiftering car, the supra 6-speed might not be your choice
Well, I'm looking for a second car in general, ideally RWD (or AWD), not too expensive (under $10K), and fairly reliable.

I'm still collecting options, but the SC is on my radar because it's RWD, I'm drawn to unusual/rare vehicles (and I think there are only ~2500 5-speed SC300s?), and I also figured that it would be more reliable than other vehicles of similar age within my price bracket.

Quick Reply: How's the manual transmission in the SC300?