Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 11:14 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch help

sorry to ask but i have a 92 sc300 5spd and my bro said my clutch needed to be replaced? the situation is that i just learn stick and my bro said i always slip the clutch in so the clutch disk is worn. yesturday when i drove it, there was barely any wheel power, i could even go in 1st gear and let go of the clutch [be montionless] and not stall. I know i need to change the clutch disk but do i have to change the throw out bearing and all that as well? or just batter of doing teh whole thing while im in there? thanks
Old 06-22-08, 11:25 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey another 5spd owner! Congrats. Yeah it definetly sounds like you need a new clutch. Every time you replace your clutch it is always recommended that you replace all the bearings as well (ie. Pilot Bearing, throwout bearing).
Old 06-22-08, 11:38 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

haha thanks. but i see, i guess it is cheaper to do all at the same time and more convienent. but thanks for you input. also one more question. i was thinking about the oem replacement on ebay. its by Seco? do you think its okay to do this? it does come with: Seco heavy-duty Pressure Plate, heavy-duty Clutch Disc, Release Bearing, Pilot Bearing, and Alignment Tool. thats everything i would need correct?
Old 06-22-08, 11:50 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Thats everything you need. But those ebay clutches dont usually last that long. If you want something really basic you should pick up a kit from Autozone or Kragen but I'd stay away from the ebay ones. I bought one last year just as a temporary for my 5spd conversion and with my driving style and all the miles I put on my car the clutch didnt last me no more than about 6 months before it started slipping.
Old 06-22-08, 11:51 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

hmm thanks for the warning. what brands were the ones at autozone or kragen they they have? and what did you end up doing after those 6months?
Old 06-22-08, 11:59 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I cant remember the brand since it was a long time ago but after the six months I just went ahead and spent the extra money on something that is still somewhat basic but still pretty reliable. I bought the Centerforce Stage 1 clutch. I was pretty pleased with it. The only thing I did not like is that I had to buy my own throwout bearing which is pretty cheap so I didnt mind.
Old 06-22-08, 12:08 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

yeah i noticed the Perfection Clutch New Clutch Set at kragen that has a life time warranty and goes for 152. and then autozone only has the Clutch Pilot Bearing/Pilot Bushing which goes for $9. but money's an issue... cause the Seco one on ebay is only 78+15$shipping, but then i guess you should think about "what you pay for is what you get" and for double the price, you get quality plus a life time warranty. ill just think about it and look up some more places to buy a clutch. maybe i can even go buy/get things individually that would make up teh kit and it be cheaper theres alos a clutch disk for street by ACT so im sure that should be okay and its only 30$ thatll just leave the bearing sand pressure plate...
Old 06-22-08, 12:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

There you go. Good plan.
Old 06-22-08, 06:57 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

thanks but ahh, sorry to ask more but i searched and couldnt find much information about doing a replacement with the clutch/clutch kit. does anyone have a tutorial or a link i may look at to help guide me through this replacement. thanks