Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My headers are finally here!!!! EKT V8 lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 09:53 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to whoever put all the pics on the first post. Freaked me out for a minute until I figured out what happened. LOL.

KC
Old 07-09-08, 02:48 AM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400

I will very likely put heat wrap on them. KC
DONT! Never wrap stainless steel headers, that WILL cause them to crack. There is nothing you can do to improve the performance stainless steel headers provide. Thats the beauty of SS headers. Just install them and enjoy.

As far as their bolt-on-ness, I already have a couple of concerns. I think the wiring for the two front O2 sensors will likely need to be made longer, not a big deal. I'm not yet 100% convinced that the flanges will line up on both sides to the OEM y-pipe, I may need to redo my header back setup sooner than later. Won't really know for sure untill I go to install them.

Everything else looks pretty good to me! Let me know what you guys think.

KC
These headers were designed to work with all stock parts including the o2 wiring. Everything is 100% bolt on and there shouldnt be a need to extend the o2 wires unless there are some differences between the model years that i am not aware of.

The headers should also be 100% bolt on to the OEM y-pipe. We'll find out once you install them. I cant wait to hear your results!!
Old 07-09-08, 08:06 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have a post already about the MAFT pro? I'm kinda interested in you setup, as I already have a GM 3bar map sensor that has just been waiting around for me to go speed density on one of my projects.

How do you like it so far?
Old 07-09-08, 08:43 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I just had like 23 heart attacks in 5 seconds. Those headers look amazing! I wonder if that would be a good solution to the W58 Swap into the Sc400 I gotta do some research
Old 07-09-08, 11:02 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just waiting on install pics before i place my order. very excited...good thing i've set aside the cash for these already.
Old 07-09-08, 11:51 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to whoever put all the pics on the first post. Freaked me out for a minute until I figured out what happened. LOL.

KC
Im here for you buddy.
Old 07-09-08, 12:48 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Were they supossed to weld the insides as well??

Eric
Old 07-09-08, 01:04 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IMF
DONT! Never wrap stainless steel headers, that WILL cause them to crack. There is nothing you can do to improve the performance stainless steel headers provide. Thats the beauty of SS headers. Just install them and enjoy.
you got that completely backwards. youre not suppose to wrap mild steel headers because the excess temps will cause it to crack. SS is nothing like regular steel. it can be red hot and dropped in a bucket of water and be cooled down. you do this with any mild steel and it will most likely cause it to crack. SS stands up with no problems to extra heat that comes along with header wrap.
Old 07-09-08, 01:31 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
you got that completely backwards. youre not suppose to wrap mild steel headers because the excess temps will cause it to crack. SS is nothing like regular steel. it can be red hot and dropped in a bucket of water and be cooled down. you do this with any mild steel and it will most likely cause it to crack. SS stands up with no problems to extra heat that comes along with header wrap.
Stainless steel is a lot harder then your average mild steel header, add excessive amount of heat and it will crack. I make stainless steel products, i know.

Not trying to argue with you, of course you can have your own opinion but the fact is the warranty will not cover headers that have been heat wrap. Now if its for real racing applications, where you dont care about the headers lasting for a long time and all you care about is winning the race, by all means, wrap them. Heat wrap will reduce the strength of the headers over time.

Last edited by IMF; 07-09-08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 02:51 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Alright guys, opinions are cool but no fist fights please.

Chase, are you an official CL vendor yet? I do not want this thread to be closed like the last. It would likely be best for you to have an open thread on your headers as well. I will email you a bit later, just haven't had a chance to yet.

As far as the wrap. My obvious concern is of course engine bay temps. The lower the better. If anyone has more than an opinion (perhaps a link on the topic) on header wrap and stainless steel, please post. I will likely not wrap them if it will void the warranty.

KC
Old 07-09-08, 04:16 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Alright guys, opinions are cool but no fist fights please.

Chase, are you an official CL vendor yet? I do not want this thread to be closed like the last. It would likely be best for you to have an open thread on your headers as well. I will email you a bit later, just haven't had a chance to yet.

As far as the wrap. My obvious concern is of course engine bay temps. The lower the better. If anyone has more than an opinion (perhaps a link on the topic) on header wrap and stainless steel, please post. I will likely not wrap them if it will void the warranty.

KC
These headers run cooler then the stock ones due to the fact the cats are removed. I am not advertising or promoting anything at the moment so i don't see a reason why this thread should be locked. At least i hope not

I am going to be signing up as a vendor in the next few weeks. I have a vacation coming up in a week and i wont be back until late in the month so i dont want to waste that time if i am paying for it.

I will sign up probably on the first of next month and then start advertising.
Old 07-09-08, 05:15 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Ill be curious to here how much steering rack clearance prob. you expearience.
Old 07-09-08, 10:19 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Very nice headers. I'm very positive you'll gain around 20 rwhp with these headers that'll equal to nearly 30 bhp. Just a head up that you might not see the gain at low end as much as mid to high end. Their straight design is for that purpose. You'll get more if you have a hi-flow exhaust system. I think a dual 2.25" is a starting point and 2.5" should be a stopping point for your set up. I'm also exciting to see them roar. They'll be very loud if you don't have any catalytic converters or even the resonators.

In my opinion, I don't think you'll need to wrap them at all. It won't make any difference in power gain. Wrapping will just make them hotter and more prone to crack over time.

You'll love the V8 sound even more. I'm addicted to it...LOL
Old 07-10-08, 06:53 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

sweet headers man, i'd go with the dual 2.5" header back over the 2.25"

KC95 you going to the all toyota meet in rockhill this saturday 12th???

i know me and a few supra's from columbia will be coming up.
Old 07-10-08, 08:36 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aka paco
sweet headers man, i'd go with the dual 2.5" header back over the 2.25"

KC95 you going to the all toyota meet in rockhill this saturday 12th???

i know me and a few supra's from columbia will be coming up.
I'm still debating on the 2.25 or 2.5. I have convinced myself I need a pair of higher flowing mufflers for sure.

I was not aware of a meet in Rockhill. I won't be able to make it, I have to work until 5pm.....

I will very likely be going to Rockingham next Saturday (19th) though.

KC

Quick Reply: My headers are finally here!!!! EKT V8 lots of pics!