Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Throttle body and Intake Manifold cleaning help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 09:10 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body and Intake Manifold cleaning help!

Hola

I removed my throttle body tonight in order to replace my spark plugs(ngk iridium). After i had the throttle body off I noticed a crap load of carbon build on on the butterfly piece facing the intake manifold Y-pipe thing. There's also a ton of black, i'm assuming, carbon build up as well All the kragens and auto zones are closed by now so i'm gonna run over there, literally, tomorrow to pick me up come carb cleaner.... Now for the question....

do you guys think it'll be alright to just use the carburetor cleaner spray to get rid of as much carbon as possible? OR do you know a better way of cleaning the throttle body + intake y pipe? I would rub it but then I'm hesitant to break off a big chunk that could potentially get sucked into the engine...

Help an sc brotha out!
Old 07-08-08, 09:16 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its off you can go ahead an spray some of that carb cleaner and just scrub away all the buildup. You can also spray some in the Y section but make sure you pick up as much as you can with a rag or something.
Old 07-08-08, 09:23 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool sounds good thanks.

Another thing i noticed is if i hold the throttle body up to a light there's a noticeable crack of light on the top and bottom of the butterfly... either it's built like that or it's supposed to be closed, completely light tight, and there's just a layer of carbon in the way. Maybe it needs to be open just a crack to idle properly?

The reason I changed spark plugs is because there's a pretty constant stuttering or hiccuping in 2nd - 5th gear (5spd) when i push the gas pedal kind of hard. I put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas and the problem went away for a week or so but came back and its even more noticeable now. Anybody have this same problem? Hopefully its related to the spark plugs or carbon build up. I changed the trans mount but not the engine mount fyi..

Last edited by bomexlex; 07-08-08 at 09:31 PM.