Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

USDM to Soarer R154 conversion q?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 07:18 AM
Star08
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USDM to Soarer R154 conversion q?

Ok I spend some long hrs on the net last night trying to figure this out?

I found out that you can buy the shifter housing,control lever and shifter from Carson Toyota,and some other Toyota dealers on the west coast.
now has anyone try this for a fact,and might have pix to prove it?
How does the tri-pod bolt down.I cant seem to see a place for it to bolt down on the USDM rear housing.

does any 1 have used the tech2 setup?

I need some answers to these questions.

THANX ALLOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!
Old 07-09-08, 07:41 AM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Star08
Ok I spend some long hrs on the net last night trying to figure this out?

I found out that you can buy the shifter housing,control lever and shifter from Carson Toyota,and some other Toyota dealers on the west coast.
now has anyone try this for a fact,and might have pix to prove it?
How does the tri-pod bolt down.I cant seem to see a place for it to bolt down on the USDM rear housing.

does any 1 have used the tech2 setup?

I need some answers to these questions.

THANX ALLOT FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!

Those parts that you are referring to regarding purchasing it through Carson Toyota has been discontinued, but if you did have them, they would work perfectly. Blizzy has done this already.
Old 07-09-08, 09:14 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

if you have a stick sc all you need to buy is:

MK3 r154 - supraforums

1jz to r154 bellhousing - a certain Toyota dealer in texas is cheapest (also ebay/driftmotion) (additional inspection plate covers suggested but not required, you can make yourself to cover the hole in bell[$200 from dealer!])

1JZ flywheel (ebay/supraforums/driftmotion)

R154 clutch kit (pressureplate/bearing is needed, you can use a w58 clutch disk)

Hub kit (driftmotion)

R154 clutch slave cylinder (forums/driftmotion/ebay)

MK3 front half of drive shaft

Shifter from a 92-94 lexus sc300 (swan neck w58 shifter) - forums/ cwest shortshifter etc) this does not require any shifter modification, but to be perfectly center you can just have it bent back 1" by any Fab shop) (you can also use the mk3 swan shifter, but leans toward driver a tad)

You can use the w58 speedometer driven gear (for MPH) but you need to make a custom bracket - or you can use the r154 one and but the simple adapter so it works from marlincrawler.com

If you do not have a stick you will need in addition -

Pedal setup (driftmotion)

Clutch master cylinder (mk3/sc300/?mk4?)

clutch lines (sc300 found on driftmotion)

Anybody feel free to correct me and I will edit this post, but I am like 99% sure that is all that you need for the swap
Old 07-09-08, 11:23 AM
Star08
Driver

Originally Posted by sc1jzgte
if you have a stick sc all you need to buy is:

MK3 r154 - supraforums

1jz to r154 bellhousing - a certain Toyota dealer in texas is cheapest (also ebay/driftmotion) (additional inspection plate covers suggested but not required, you can make yourself to cover the hole in bell[$200 from dealer!])

1JZ flywheel (ebay/supraforums/driftmotion)

R154 clutch kit (pressureplate/bearing is needed, you can use a w58 clutch disk)

Hub kit (driftmotion)

R154 clutch slave cylinder (forums/driftmotion/ebay)

MK3 front half of drive shaft

Shifter from a 92-94 lexus sc300 (swan neck w58 shifter) - forums/ cwest shortshifter etc) this does not require any shifter modification, but to be perfectly center you can just have it bent back 1" by any Fab shop) (you can also use the mk3 swan shifter, but leans toward driver a tad)

You can use the w58 speedometer driven gear (for MPH) but you need to make a custom bracket - or you can use the r154 one and but the simple adapter so it works from marlincrawler.com

If you do not have a stick you will need in addition -

Pedal setup (driftmotion)

Clutch master cylinder (mk3/sc300/?mk4?)

clutch lines (sc300 found on driftmotion)

Anybody feel free to correct me and I will edit this post, but I am like 99% sure that is all that you need for the swap
what about if you had a 92 automatic SC.do you have to cut a new hole in your tunnel?
Old 07-09-08, 12:19 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Star08
what about if you had a 92 automatic SC.do you have to cut a new hole in your tunnel?
Yes you have to cut the hole in the firewall for the master cylinder.

sc1jzgte was almost perfect on everything he said cept for a few things.

1.You can also use an MKIII clutch line, it fits perfectly
2.f you use a MKIII pedal assymbley, you have to use an MKIII master cylinder for fitment issues.
3.If you have an auto SC 3, the front halfshaft is the same as the R154, what you need is the rear halfshaft from a manual SC 3.

For simplicity reasons I would heavily advise you to use an SC pedal assymbley to an MKIII.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 07-09-08 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 12:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Old 07-09-08, 03:44 PM
Star08
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Yes you have to cut the whole in the firewall for the master cylinder.

2.f you use a MKIII pedal assymbley, you have to use an MKIII master cylinder for fitment issues.
3.If you have an auto SC 3, the front halfshaft is the same as the R154, what you need is the rear halfshaft from a manual SC 3.

For simplicity reasons I would heavily advise you to use an SC pedal assymbley to an MKIII.
ok,maybe im being miss understood,or I did not explained my self correctly.
I have a usdm R154 trannie with a 1jz bell.
all the pedals in the car is installed.they came from a 96 manual sc donor car.

all I want to know is if the above mentioned parts were available if it will work,will I need anything else.and if this also have to make me move the tunnel hole for the shifter to go trough.

Last edited by Star08; 07-09-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 08:58 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Ok first off, there are at least 5 threads I can think of off the top of my head that walk you through every step of the way (excluding mine), with every question that you have asked. Not to mention at least 4 different ways to make the shifter fit.

Yes, I'm a **** but use the search function please, it will answer every single question you have on this. No more spoon feeding, lol.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 07-09-08 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 10:59 PM
Star08
Driver

Ok first off, there are at least 5 threads I can think of off the top of my head that walk you through every step of the way (excluding mine), with every question that you have asked. Not to mention at least 4 different ways to make the shifter fit.

Yes, I'm a **** but use the search function please, it will answer every single question you have on this. No more spoon feeding, lol.

Ok bro.You don't have to get aggravated with me on this subject.U don't even have to reply to my post.There is plenty of ppl with more patients than you.
I'm not trying to get "spoon fed". As for all the posts if found here,none had a pick or had a defendant result.
All I've asked in the beginning of my post was if anyone has used the parts from the toyota dealer,and if that required tunnel mod,and if they had a picture to verify.thats all.
thank you so much for your help if you have this info.

I'm not trying to be a **** neither,but ur not helping or answering my questions.
Old 07-10-08, 12:38 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=R154+swap

Took me less than 2 minutes to find these, and no I didnt' have them archived or saved. Try looking... see what you can find out. There are more 5 speed swap threads than any other out there, other than "how do I swap this motor?" I don't know why the mods dont sticky these kind of threads, it would cut down on useless posts like the one we are on so much it would be amazing.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 07-10-08 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 07:58 AM
Star08
Driver

Thumbs up

Took me less than 2 minutes to find these, and no I didnt' have them archived or saved. Try looking... see what you can find out. There are more 5 speed swap threads than any other out there, other than "how do I swap this motor?" I don't know why the mods dont sticky these kind of threads, it would cut down on useless posts like the one we are on so much it would be amazing.
thank you so much 2jzlex for these links.

these are the same linx I found several night ago.You still seems to misunderstand my questions.

I know how to do the swap.
all the pedals are installed. bellhousing, blah,blah ,blah
All I wanted to know if some1 had a picture or diagram of parts for the Soarer extension w the part numbers listed above.
I have actually found a diagram and pictures for these part numbers, and a toyota dealer that claims they can get them.I also have 4 sets on order.(to help out my fellow man that needs 1)

once I receive these Ill try to post a pic,or if you cant wait to see em there is some post on Supra forums.

thanx again to the lexus and toyota forums..

Star
Old 07-10-08, 08:40 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you have to cut the hole in the firewall for the master cylinder.

The rear half shaft on autos and manuals are exactly the same. You can use your existing SC300 auto driveshaft for the swap. Thats exactly why I'm saving mine.
Old 07-10-08, 09:49 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tavarish
The rear half shaft on autos and manuals are exactly the same. You can use your existing SC300 auto driveshaft for the swap. Thats exactly why I'm saving mine.
Odd you should say that, mine weren't, but then again mine was an SC4.

Star,

The second link that I posted has goes over it in detail, and vipsoarer has an entire write up here...just in case you missed something.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183050