Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

bad oil sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-08, 02:05 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad oil sensor?

i have a question. my orange oil light will randomly come on for about 20 seconds when i get on the freeway and i am going at least 60mph and then it will shut back off. i noticed this and i thought it was weird because it started doing that 2 weeks after i had done a complete oil change. i am using royal purple synthetic oil on a completely stock engine. would it be that royal purple REALLY burns off that fast or is there something up with the sensor? when this light really annoys me after i get home from work sometimes ill check my oil level, but then that made me notice that i think i might have the wrong dipstick in there because i noticed even when after i did that oil change, and checked the level, the dipstick showed that it was empty even though i put in the 4.7 quarts or whatever it is. so i ordered another dipstick from my dealer so i can clarify if i have the right one, but anyway, i would just put in a little bit of oil just incase the level really was a bit low, but then a week later ill get the same light on again randomly? any suggestions? thanks
Old 07-10-08, 02:35 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Old 07-10-08, 02:51 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roy1928
i have a question. my orange oil light will randomly come on for about 20 seconds when i get on the freeway and i am going at least 60mph and then it will shut back off. i noticed this and i thought it was weird because it started doing that 2 weeks after i had done a complete oil change. i am using royal purple synthetic oil on a completely stock engine. would it be that royal purple REALLY burns off that fast or is there something up with the sensor? when this light really annoys me after i get home from work sometimes ill check my oil level, but then that made me notice that i think i might have the wrong dipstick in there because i noticed even when after i did that oil change, and checked the level, the dipstick showed that it was empty even though i put in the 4.7 quarts or whatever it is. so i ordered another dipstick from my dealer so i can clarify if i have the right one, but anyway, i would just put in a little bit of oil just incase the level really was a bit low, but then a week later ill get the same light on again randomly? any suggestions? thanks
I wouldnt drive it until you get the rite stick. or borrow someone elese's SC stick. It may be an oil pressure problem. I would get the oil place to check it out. They could be at fault. the oil filter could not be on tight enough.
Old 07-10-08, 03:23 PM
roy1928
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is that the oil filter isn't on tight enough, would it leak oil? cause i haven't noticed any oil leak spots on my driveway or wherever i park...
Old 07-10-08, 03:34 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have a leaking valve cover gaskets or any other gasket it may cause some of the oil to leak out. at higher speeds the oil may get pushed back in the pan and causing the sensor to trigger a light on your dash.

i had this same thing happen to me before i did my distributor seal, valve cover gaskets and plug. after i did it the light doesnt ever come on.

the light use to come on after about 3500 miles of driving. about 3500-4000 miles i use to change my oil. so basicaly by the time i needed to do the oil change it would leak that bit of oil and cause the light to go on.

i let this happen to me only a few times before changing the gaskets and forgetting about this problem all together.
Old 07-21-08, 04:48 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

my friends car is having this problem, we topped off the oil, and no matter what the light stays on... weve tried disconnecting the battery to see if it went away, and nothing, just got the oil pan seal redone, and there is no leaks what so ever... car usually stays parked in the garage, w/o any leaks... any ideas? bad level sensor ?: