Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Not A Good Day For The Sc 400 (help!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 01:08 AM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not A Good Day For The Sc 400 (help!)

Not A Good Day For The Sc 400 (help!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Wife Was At The Store Today Whaen She Told Me The Check Engine Light Came On . I Asked Her If It Stayed On Or Just Went Back Off . But She Called To Tell Me After She Came Out Of The Store It Wouldnt Start . I Went To The Car And It Starteed But Wouldnt Stay Running ,sounded Like It Was Sucking Air Some So I
Checked All The 22000 Lol Vacuum Lines And Couldnt Find Anything Other Than A Little Canister Thing Up Neear Firewall On Passenger Side If I Took Off The Line The Noise Stopped .anyway It Ran Better But Had A Little Miss In It Also It Seemed Reaally Hot . I Let Her Leave To Go Home And She Called Me 5 Min Later To Say The Car Was Getting Really Hot Temperature Gauge Going Way Up So I Told Her To Pull Over & Shut Off . I Waited Till It Cooled Down And Checked Coolant Level It Was Little Low So I Put Coolant In It And Started It Up ,it Ran But Had A Miss Still Not Real Bad At Idle But When U Gave Gas It Missed . Im Really Unsure What Could Be Going On But Im Worried Could Have Blown Head Gasket Or Something Serious . It Didnt Have Any Coolant In The Oil But Its Missn Pretty Good Now . Anybody Have Any Idea What Could Be Goin On? Also I Noticed When She Turned The Ac On It Made Like A Whining Noise But Worked Fine Thanks Tom
Old 07-11-08, 08:30 AM
tonyc9928
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you need to take a compression test to see if there is an internal problem.
A bad head gasket does not have to be swapping water and oil. It could be letting cylinder compression into the water system causing the temps and pressure to rise out of control.
Old 07-11-08, 09:01 AM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Default yikes

i was hoping noone would say that can something like that happen that quick it was running perfect and then the check engine light vacuum leak and miss all at once ? im trying to keep from taking it to dealer i dont know them and im sure they will charge me a fortune to fix . thanks for the reply tom
Old 07-11-08, 11:51 AM
tonyc9928
Driver

Yes they all can be related.
I see your sig says that you rebuilt it yourself.?
Go to the parts store like Auozone. They will let you use a compression tester Free.
Take out All the plugs. Remember to disconnect the coil so you don't get shocked. Take a test on all cylinders. If you have a cylinder or 2 that are considerably differant than the others. (10-20psi or more) than you have a problem. If you have 2 cylinders next to eachother that are a little bit different than all the others but they are the same to eachother. Than the head gasket may be blown between them.
If not than you know your motor is all good and it's something else.
Either way. This will let you know what is going on in there.
Old 07-11-08, 11:59 AM
tonyc9928
Driver

Also. You can remove the rad cap, fill it with water, start the car.
If cylinder pressure is making it into the water system bubbles will keep coming out of the open radiator your hg's are shot.

Also you can get a water system pressure pump that will hook onto the radiator. Engine not running. Fill the rad, connect the pump, pump it up. If the gauge on the pump keeps falling rapidly there is a water leek. If you don't see water coming out of the motor than it is going into the cylinders. Your water system should hold 13-16psi without falling rapidly.
You can borrow this pump from Autozone too.
Old 07-12-08, 09:02 AM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Default thanks tony

i appreciate the info my buddy sat big o where the car is now is going to do the pressure check on it ,another friend told me to replace the thermostat and flush the radiator before i do any major repairs . sounds reasonable and also the car is running fine agin no misses and the check engine light not coming on any more but the engine still heating up too quickly tom

as far as the car i did rebuild her was salvage title and had no headlights,tailights rear window and interior damaged by fire , engine and drivetrin good except replaced starter woah thats a job who designed that deal lol ,but i stole it 800.00 guy didnt have title didnt know how to get one and i researched the vin found previous owner and got him to transfer to me with junk title then i rebuilt the car and got rebuilt title wifes dd at least until now thanks again tom
Attached Thumbnails Not A Good Day For The Sc 400 (help!)-dscf7439.jpg  
Old 07-12-08, 11:58 AM
tonyc9928
Driver

Sure man. Hope you get it figured out.

Nice lookin ride BTW.
Old 07-13-08, 01:43 PM
KORUPT8D
Rookie

Sweet Ride. Check the Cats , they have a tendency to get clogged and raise your temp way up. Then check the cooling system. Is the radiator hose hot when the car is turned on?